Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for allowing me to join the group.
    I didn't even bother checking the forum until purchasing my car yesterday (stupid me!)
    The car I purchased is a Cosmos Black coupe that was advertised before Xmas on Pistonheads with a price reduction after Xmas.
    It was subsequently listed on ebay and as it was only in Bristol (I am in Exeter) it was certainly worth a look.
    Very impressed with the drive even though the usual problems that I have read about on this forum ie; heavy throttle pedal, difficulty engaging 1st gear and on inspection under the bonnet it was noticed that the metal power steering pipe was badly corroded.
    A deal was agreed, deposit paid and I am picking up the car next weekend.
    Looking forward to it.
    Roger Coote. (190251cars)

Welcome to the forum

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I'd be interested to learn if replacement of the corroded pipe makes a difference to the power steering in due course
      S54 M Coupe
      D5 Alpina Touring

Comment

Welcome Roger
        1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Welcome to our Forum
          I think you are talking about the square piece of tubing in front of the rad ?

Most look coroded in places,i have never herd of one actually leaking,sometimes there is a problem where they join the pipes underneath.easy to replace and yes they look much better once done,it isnt anything major.

Comment

Hi and welcome, the forums a wealth of knowledge....
            2000 BMW Z3M COUPE.
            2006 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo.
            07 Volvo V70 D5
            1972 Suzuki Gt750J.
            1972 Suzuki Gt550J.

Some of my old cars.........http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/gman69/library/CARS

Comment

I have had my power steering cooler pipe replaced three times over the years. It rusts badly where the brackets meet the pipe and are welded, fluid then seeps out and you get a funny noise and less/no steering assistance. There is a thread on this I think.
              Last edited by ian; 06-02-2017, 09:34 AM.
              S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Surprised you've gone through three! I keep an eye on mine, it's a bit rusted but seems to be dry. I think if I replaced it, it would be either fully waxoyld/dinitrol or hammerite to protect, should prevent it happening again.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
                  I have had my power steering cooler pipe replaced three times over the years. It rusts badly where the brackets meet the pipe and are welded, fluid then seeps out and you get a funny noise and less/no steering assistance. There is a thread on this I think.
                  That's probably the issue with mine then, makes a funny noise and not much power from the steering pump at low revs. Hopefully the thread willl be about somewhere I'll have a look.
                  S54 M Coupe
                  D5 Alpina Touring

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                    Surprised you've gone through three! I keep an eye on mine, it's a bit rusted but seems to be dry. I think if I replaced it, it would be either fully waxoyld/dinitrol or hammerite to protect, should prevent it happening again.
                    Yes, I was also surprised. I think it is a combination of less than prime material, intermittent welding, corrosion and vibration. My latest one is well wax oiled at the joints, so time will tell.
                    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                      Welcome to the forum

there is a guide here regarding replacing the throttle cable, (about £30 from dealers )

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11330

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
                        Sorry to be a pain, but I can't find the old thread about replacing the corroded pipe, do anyone know where it is?

Useful advice (as always) on here: I've been wondering what's wrong with my power steering for ages!

Thanks
                        S54 M Coupe
                        D5 Alpina Touring

Comment

Originally posted by Howiez View Post
                          Sorry to be a pain, but I can't find the old thread about replacing the corroded pipe, do anyone know where it is?

Useful advice (as always) on here: I've been wondering what's wrong with my power steering for ages!

Thanks

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...+cooler&page=2

Comment

Fantastic, thanks Dave, I'll jack the front of the car up and have a look, sounds like it curves to the base of the rad.Assume BMW Stockport can source a replacement pipe.
                            S54 M Coupe
                            D5 Alpina Touring

Comment

Originally posted by Howiez View Post
                              Fantastic, thanks Dave, I'll jack the front of the car up and have a look, sounds like it curves to the base of the rad.Assume BMW Stockport can source a replacement pipe.

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=616

Comment

Working...
                              X