Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks really good Ian

Comment

…and now that I’ve refurbed the front and rear subframes I’ve managed to get myself a set of Quickjacks. Would’ve been great to have got these before I started

Last edited by Ian_C; 31-01-2023, 10:10 PM.
      1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Great write up
        My car is in very similar condition underneath to how yours was. Did you use a piece of 3mm plate to reinforce the rear arb mount on the trailing arms? I need to do this as I've ordered a set.
        Do you have wheel spacers fitted? 10mm?

Comment

Originally posted by quattro View Post
          Did you use a piece of 3mm plate to reinforce the rear arb mount on the trailing arms? I need to do this as I've ordered a set.
          I got a mobile welder to do this for me. But yes, he brought some plate and fabricated it.

Do you have wheel spacers fitted? 10mm?
          Yep, 12mm all round

1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Engine was making a noticeable 'whump, whump' noise when warm - had me quite concerned until I diagnosed that it was the secondary air pump that was amplifying through the airbox. Linked video of noise

It's well documented that we don't need the emissions pump in the UK so rather than replace I just elected to remove the pump, the hard airline to the airbox, the vacuum switch beside the pump and blank off the vacuum, airlines and electrical plug. Also blanked the exit point from the lower part of the airbox. Fitted a shorter belt for the aircon as described in this post
            Last edited by Ian_C; 20-05-2023, 11:52 AM.
            1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Carried out a coolant drain and refill and took the opportunity to replace the aging water pump, thermostat, viscous coupling and fan at the same time. Radiator mount mounting points had surface corrosion evident so addressed that and fitted new radiator mounts. Some pics:

Surface corrosion at radiator mount mounting points

Restored

New radiator mounts

Engine needs turning by hand to align cutout to remove lower water pump bolt. Bought the OEM tool from BMW to do this.

Shiny new Meyle water pump

New Mahle viscous coupling & fan

New brackets for top of thermostat housing

...and a reference pic of engine block coolant drain point. Access is tight so had to use a crows foot on a torque wrench to tighten this after draining.
              1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Nice one, this is on the future to do list for me. What was the condition of the water pump like that you removed? Was it the original from new?

Comment

Originally posted by quattro View Post
                  Nice one, this is on the future to do list for me. What was the condition of the water pump like that you removed? Was it the original from new?
                  I think it was the original. No real noticeable play but the new one spun much more freely.
                  1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Whilst I was in the engine bay I did a few other tidy up jobs:

Repainted the intake

Replaced the intake boot as the old one was deteriorating

Had the expansion tank mount powdercoated

Replaced all the bolts on the exhaust manifold heatshield

Looking tidy top & bottom now

Last edited by Ian_C; 20-05-2023, 02:51 PM.
                    1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

MOT yesterday. Passed with no advisories
                      1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Working...
                      X