Steering wheel options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheel options

I've been the happy owner of my coupe for 2 months now after trading in my e30 m3 and I'm very pleased with it apart from the steering wheel!!!
    It is far too big and not bold enough-I had a sport evo alcantara wheel in the m3 and it made the world of difference to the standard. Does anyone Know off any options for replacement i.e. any other bmw wheels that might fit.
    I have been looking at the RAID steering wheels as I'd like to keep the airbag, Has anyone got one and if so can you show some pic's..
    Thanks Sean

Hi Sean,

I cant remember the outcome but this topic has been discussed in the past on this forum. Use the search function and see what you can find....

Cheers
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

c_w has a raid wheel. Think there are some pics in the gallery
      EX: S50 Black with Kyalami Orange/Black Leather. Becker Bluetooth/Ipod HU.
      Now: S50 Black/Black with Ap Racing brakes and Race logic

Comment

can the E46 M3 steering wheel with airbag be fitted to MC?
        i have seen it fitted to some E36's, just wondering if its possible.

Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by indy View Post
          I think this is quite difficult to do. Can't remember exactly why.
          Ex 2001 S54
          New cars:
          Lotus Carlton
          350Z

Comment

Originally posted by indy View Post
            If it will fit an E36 it'll fit a Z3M. I think it's the electronics that cuase the problems; I think it essentially bolts on to the steering coluimn fine though.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
              If it will fit an E36 it'll fit a Z3M. I think it's the electronics that cuase the problems; I think it essentially bolts on to the steering coluimn fine though.
              just the airbag and horn that is to connect? will these work as normal? like original steering wheel fitted to the car.

the multifunction button fittings can be replaced with blanks like on the CSL

Click here to email me

Comment

I know what you're saying about the steering wheel size and feel. It's the first thing I changed when I got my MC (and the MR I had a few years before it) - it just feels like a lorry wheel and a cheap one at that. Changing to a smaller diameter wheel makes the car feel instantly sharper (more so than suspension changes or swapping steering racks which is subtle in comparison).

I decided to lose the airbag, mainly because the price and looks of the airbag wheels didn't match the old skool feel of the car (imo of course). Until recently I ran a Momo Millennium Evo II 320mm wheel, which I really liked...but after adding the recaro seat I wanted a racing wheel to match it. The current 330mm OMP feels really high quality - nice thick rim (errr!) and a grippy alcantara finish. I'd recommend it to anyone.

The Momo

The OMP

Comment

here is the E36 i have seen fitted with E46 wheel. i have seen others too, but this one is NICE!!!

Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by miketheman2k View Post
                    I know what you're saying about the steering wheel size and feel. It's the first thing I changed when I got my MC (and the MR I had a few years before it) - it just feels like a lorry wheel and a cheap one at that. Changing to a smaller diameter wheel makes the car feel instantly sharper (more so than suspension changes or swapping steering racks which is subtle in comparison).

I decided to lose the airbag, mainly because the price and looks of the airbag wheels didn't match the old skool feel of the car (imo of course). Until recently I ran a Momo Millennium Evo II 320mm wheel, which I really liked...but after adding the recaro seat I wanted a racing wheel to match it. The current 330mm OMP feels really high quality - nice thick rim (errr!) and a grippy alcantara finish. I'd recommend it to anyone.

The Momo

The OMP

I like Mike, what model OMP wheel is that?

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

Wasn't sure about getting a racing wheel, I thought it might look abit 'unfinished' compared to a airbag steering wheel but after seeing yours mike I am getting the credit card out as we speak!
                      Are the dials still visable ok with the smaller diameter?

Comment

Originally posted by Wav View Post
                        I like Mike, what model OMP wheel is that?

Cheers,

Paul
                        It's an OMP Targa. I really wanted a dished wheel like the Momo Drift (here) but because you can't adjust the MC steering column it would have been far too close to my chest. Love the fact its got the little marker on the wheel - like I'll actually need it lol.

Originally posted by sean.bmwm3 View Post
                        Wasn't sure about getting a racing wheel, I thought it might look abit 'unfinished' compared to a airbag steering wheel but after seeing yours mike I am getting the credit card out as we speak!
                        Are the dials still visable ok with the smaller diameter?
                        The tops are slightly blocked by the smaller wheels, I've learnt to live with it.

Comment

Is there a definite guide anyware for fitting Recaro Pole Positions? What items do I need, and how much do you need to take off the 'seat wing' to get it to fit by the Window?

Comment

gooner14
                            Chippy did a writeup. Unfortunately the photos have since been deleted.

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...=pole+position

Have a look in my gallery, page 1, and there is a picture of the finished driver's seat.

The man who did both Chippy's and mine is based in Surrey, from memory. He takes 1.5/2" off the wings and then builds them partially back up with foam.
                            Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

As mentioned by Coupe fan, just under 2" is removed from the 'ears' of the seat and replaced with high density memory foam to restore original shape.

If you need the tel number for the seat re trimming guy, pm me.
                              Black S50

Comment

Working...
                              X