Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it time to sell the Coupe?

Howdy All,

Not posted for an eternity it seems, but not through lack of interest. I've been keeping a regular eye on the forum, just not being active, for which I apologise.

Not sure if this thread should be under "general" or "sales and wanted," but as per the title I'm wondering if now would be a good or bad time to sell my Coupe. My gut feel is that the timing is far from ideal, considering the current economic conditions, but then again just look at house prices the last few months, they have gone crazy, although that's probably a discussion for another forum!

I could do with some funds to help out with a home improvement project, and the Coupe just isn't being used due to work commitments, and dare I say another toy (I know, I know, please don't shoot me down). I could look at extra mortgage borrowing to cover the project, but I'm considering selling the much loved car, but only if the number works.

The car itself is a LSB S54 which I have owned for around 6 years now. Mileage has just gone over 25k, so its clearly been washed more times than driven! It's also verified as being the last RHD made, which is a cool little add on, "there can be only one" (name that movie)

So the quandary is, I need some cash to fund a project, I love the car, but it isn't being used, I could use extra mortgage borrowing, but would prefer not to (I'm already beholden to the banks enough as it is), I could sell the car but wouldn't want to see it go for a low price due to the market/economic conditions.

The question that is going to come back is what do I think its worth. Well for insurance purposes it was covered at £62k, but that was an agreed value going back to when things where a little crazy a few years back, although its recently been revalued for insurance at £60k, but that took a little work to get agreed. I think for me I wouldn't let it go for less than...................???????

Thoughts greatly welcome.

Chris
    2002 Z3M S54 in LSB

That’s a really rare car and has obviously appreciated a lot.

I don’t want to comment on price but it’s definitely worth a premium over other s54s on the market.

It’s a shame you need to sell but good luck

R

Comment

Thanks Rags,

I don't really want to sell, it's just probably the more sensible (adult!) thing to do!

Chris
      2002 Z3M S54 in LSB

Comment

Is it a 45k-50k in today’s market?

That’s my best guess. To have the LSB, low miles and S54 makes it xtra special for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by urquattrogus View Post

That’s my best guess. To have the LSB, low miles and S54 makes it xtra special for sure!
          Well LSB and S54 are tied anyway right, but with those miles and assuming condition is accordingly good I think you’re right. Only 3 or 4 RHD’s made I think. I’ve got 100k more on mine!
          S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Originally posted by urquattrogus View Post

That was my gut feel too....
            ----------------
            David
            1999 M Coupe (S50)
            >>Read my journal here<<
            2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
            2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Is it time to sell the Coupe? - may not be a good time to sell as prices especially in the top end have really dropped recently

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                Is it time to sell the Coupe? - may not be a good time to sell as prices especially in the top end have really dropped recently
                I think your probably right Dave, I haven't really been tracking prices that much over the last few years, but I have gauged a fairly significant drop since the crazy prices back a few years ago. I note Hexagon have a S54 for sale at £50k, but it's been up for sales for ages, and I think it was originally up for £60k a year or so back.

Might be better to hold on to the car and opt for the extra mortgage borrowing.
                2002 Z3M S54 in LSB

Comment

I would probably weigh it up as it’s not a particularly good time to sell the car, but it’s a very good time to borrow given rock bottom interest rates. You also happen to have an especially rare spec, so I’d be sitting tight if I were you.

Comment

Originally posted by 4xhausts View Post
                    I would probably weigh it up as it’s not a particularly good time to sell the car, but it’s a very good time to borrow given rock bottom interest rates. You also happen to have an especially rare spec, so I’d be sitting tight if I were you.
                    Thanks. I think your spot on with the current lending market, money is certainly very cheap at the moment.

The general consensus seems to be it's not an ideal time to be shifting the car, so the extra borrowing is looking like a better option, at least short to medium term. Just need to find a way to explain this to the other half, without her thinking it's just a bluff as I don't want to sell the car 🤣
                    2002 Z3M S54 in LSB

Comment

I think you would regret selling it
                      S54 M Coupe
                      D5 Alpina Touring

Comment

Originally posted by Howiez View Post
                        I think you would regret selling it
                        Of that I'm certain!
                        2002 Z3M S54 in LSB

Comment

Working...