X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jacking points and Axle stands

Hi All,

I have had a quick search and can not find what i am looking for,

Does anybody know the best locations to jack up the coupe inorder to place axle stands under the car, I want the whole car of the ground, so probably need to go front then back or vice versa and not side to side.

Thanks

I guess you know where the actual jack points are? (if not get on your hands and knees and you will see them along the sills as a finned rectangular piece of plastic)

As for where best to place axle stands to get the car completely off the ground, and assuming you want to get under it, I wouldnt know....or want to know as I wouldnt recommend it!!
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Jack up the front end under the subframe & rear under the diff, just make sure it's the main body of the diff.
      When it's on 2 stands its likely to move when you start to jack up the other axle so be careful & ideally have a second person to check the stands are still in place. I would still leave the jack under where possible as a back up, but make sure the stands are taking the load not the jack & ideally if your taking the wheels off put them under the sills as a further back up.

If it doubt leave it out!!!

Comment

As above or the points are just in front and just behind the rear and front wheels , as mentioned plastic covers , if your trolley jack goes high enough you can do one side at a time off one point but it's best to rest the first jacked side on ramps rather than axle stands so it can move when you jack the other side , if you know what I mean

Comment

I wouldn't personally jack it up on the diff, apart from risk damaging the vanes getting the jack beyond them, the diff location isn't particularly well balanced or strong with a single diff mount.

I use the jacking points on the sills. Axle stands under the front lollipops and under the flats off the rear subframe (they do sink a bit though if you have factory mounts as the weight of the car goes down on it).

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
            I wouldn't personally jack it up on the diff, apart from risk damaging the vanes getting the jack beyond them, the diff location isn't particularly well balanced or strong with a single diff mount.

I use the jacking points on the sills. Axle stands under the front lollipops and under the flats off the rear subframe (they do sink a bit though if you have factory mounts as the weight of the car goes down on it).
            As above really,however i would and certainly do place some flat wood under the axle stands to prevent them digging into Tarmac! its ok on concrete.

Comment

Good point, with one set of jack stands they are three legged but not joined at the bottom to form a web foot if that makes sense; one day on my tarmac drive it just sank in and the car basically came off it. Luckily wasn't under it and no damage done.

Comment

Thanks all, it's not to work underneath the car just to do all of the brakes in one hit, whilst the car is off the road for the winter.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X