Vanos Z3 M coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanos Z3 M coupe

Hello. I have oil leaking out of the Offside Solenoid cable gland of the vanos.

Is this a seal replacement or complete new vanos.

Is it puring out not just dripping

Any advice would be great appreciated.

thanks Rich

Sorry to hear this Rich, have the bolts failed that hold the cover in place?

Comment

Oh no! I’ve had oil weeping from the seals in the last.

I replaced all seals, bolts, filters and re soldered the solenoids and it cured the leak. From memory the parts were £80 or there about from the dealer.

I needed to buy a torque wrench though but it wasn’t too expensive.

Comment

unfortunately i is not weeping it is pouring out of the grommet that the cable enters the solenoids. Guessing solenoids seals?? Where did you buy the new set of seals ebay??
        wonder if the solenoids are damaged too.

Comment

Vanos Z3 M

Mr Vanos does a kit for £49
          http://www.mrvanos.com/E36-M3-S50-B3...s(1848237).htm
          Gaskets
          Upgraded Viton Seals
          Bolts

Comment

I bought mine from the dealer but Mr Vanos ones are cheaper and probably better.

A bit of solder on the solenoid wouldn’t hurt. I’m not sure I’d picked up a soldering iron since school but it still turned out ok.

Go steady when removing the bolts as I hear they can snap, maybe drench them in some penetrating fluid overnight before tackling.

Comment

I have some new BMW seals that I can do cheaper than dealer price if you get stuck

Comment

Repair guide,

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies. I had it rebuilt with new seals and has been run fine until a couple of weeks ago. She now idles rough and diagnosis says stuck exhaust valve. Going to try solder trick but I guess I am faced with a new vanos @ £2k

Any advice on removing the solenoid would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieG View Post
                    Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies. I had it rebuilt with new seals and has been run fine until a couple of weeks ago. She now idles rough and diagnosis says stuck exhaust valve. Going to try solder trick but I guess I am faced with a new vanos @ £2k

Any advice on removing the solenoid would be great.

You shouldn't need to replace the vanos normally a rebuild is possible from someone like MR Vanos, guide for resoldering joints

https://zroadster.org/articles/bmw-z...aintenance.53/

Comment

Thanks dave. Off out now to try the resolder. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                      X