Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird smell in Coupe cabin

Lads,

i've noticed recently in the coupe that after a spirited spin in the ZM, I get this rather odd smell in the cabin for a few moments. it happens every time you open the car up to nearly full revs and i'm assuming its heat and smell from the engine bay.
    I'm thinking someone may have come across that one before ? I talked to a friend in BMW and he thinks it may be a pollen filter...I'm not convinced.

Anyonce ever come across that before and how did you solve it..!

thanks

Paul

Bit of clutch slip maybe under max power? Or maybe catalytic converter?
    Just a couple of thoughts!

Comment

Could be a build-up of bacteria in the AC / vents.

Do you run the AC regularly to keep it ticking over?
      Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
      In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

thanks lads. Nope not the cat or the clutch, those are distinct enough smells. The only way I can describe it is old car smell..! I don't run the AC that often in it at all...so maybe I'll run it and see if it helps the smell. I'll put in a pollen cabin filter for the craic too see if it makes any difference. I might have a look round the bulkhead and see if there are any gromets out as well and see if I can pinpoint it.

thanks!

Comment

Yep, my moneys on bacteria in the AC system and heating ducting. I had this on a 2003 E46 touring and it was proper PITA to get rid of. Smelt like old socks, LOL.

I believe there are products that you can buy to spray into the vents to kill off the bacteria.
          Last edited by h4pry; 24-02-2009, 03:09 PM.
          Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
          In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

I'm sure they don't have pollen filters fitted so can't be that.

Comment

Reviving this thread instead of starting a new one.

I've had this problem in my car for a while, which is that the AC smells like old socks. Given our weather, my AC is always on but sometimes I park my car for extended periods. Has anyone found a definitive solution of this? I tried spraying an odor eliminator inside the car and outside where it draws air but no use.
              '99 Z3 ///M Coupe
              '09 997 GT2

Comment

you can get a spray you spray in the AC inlet that kills the bacteria
                [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

Try something like this,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autoglym-V...item519ff4a0bf

Comment

and leave one of these in your car! looks like cat food but inside looks like scented weetabix or biscuits...

Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by MCoupe321 View Post
                      Reviving this thread instead of starting a new one.

I've had this problem in my car for a while, which is that the AC smells like old socks. Given our weather, my AC is always on but sometimes I park my car for extended periods. Has anyone found a definitive solution of this? I tried spraying an odor eliminator inside the car and outside where it draws air but no use.
                      did you sort this problem out?

saw this on ebay which says BMW approved

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-air-co...item48384e3cb5

Comment

Problem is I can't order liquids and aerosol products online, my FPO won't ship. I bought a household antibacterial and sprayed it but haven't driven the car for 2 weeks. Will report back.
                        '99 Z3 ///M Coupe
                        '09 997 GT2

Comment

Working...
                        X