Small tires poll - new vs used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small tires poll - new vs used

I have to replace rear tires on my ZM. I am running Goodyears F1 Asymmetric 2 and was planning to simply buy a pair of new-ones, but I have been just offered a pair of second-hand Conti Sport Contacts 5 - 1.5 years old with 6mm thread in perfect working order for just GBP 100. A pair of new F1s A2 would cost GBP 240.

Now, should I go the (tempting) cheapskate's way and take CSC5s or should I do it properly and shell out for a pair of new F1s?
    Used CSC5s (GBP 100)
    16.67%
    New F1s (GBP240)
    83.33%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Pawel; 30-03-2014, 07:41 AM.
    Best Regards,

Pawel

New all the way !

Comment

I wouldn't put second-hand tyres on any car, let alone a high performance one - any cost saving isn't worth the risk.
      S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
        I wouldn't put second-hand tyres on any car, let alone a high performance one - any cost saving isn't worth the risk.
        It's an interesting thing you say so would you replace all 4 tyres when you buy a second hand car...?!?!
        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Ive used second hand tyres that came with a spare set of alloys I bought with no trouble but was always aware that they could have been sitting for years etc. Only used them because they came with the wheels though. In this case I would get new tyres every time, the extra cost isn't that much when you consider how long you'll use them for. Also what have you got on the front?

As an aside I paid 310 for 2 rear eagle f1 A2s a couple of weeks ago, 240 seems good. Kwik fit wanted just over 400 if i remember right.

Comment

The rear of our cars is where the issues are! can be fun for sure!!! but replacing worn with worn is just a false economy and makes no sense!interesting view on buying a second hand car tho! i must admit i do replace all tyres when ive bought second hand cars tho !

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
              The rear of our cars is where the issues are! can be fun for sure!!! but replacing worn with worn is just a false economy and makes no sense!interesting view on buying a second hand car tho! i must admit i do replace all tyres when ive bought second hand cars tho !
              What, straight away, really?!?! And not because they were worn out!
              2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Spooks yup i do!!! they are normally odd!!!

Comment

With the MC I always use new

But in days of old when I've been skint I've bought part worn with no issues
                  The best buys I found were german ones where they cannot legally repair
                  I used to buy them still with nobbles on at less than 1/2 price
                  [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

I've used part worn tyres with no issues on other cars. In those cases, the cars do so few miles I felt it was worth the saving because I would never realistically wear a new set out. But I would consider 6mm a hard minimum - otherwise it's just not worth the hassle and expense of getting them fitted.

But if I used the car regularly such that i would realistically make full use of a new tyre in (say) 5 years then I would most likely go new.

Comment

Working...
                    X