Rear wing removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wing removal

Deciding to fix the few bits of rust I decided to remove front lower wings, sills and rear wings. First two off fine. Just spent the last couple of hours reducing the rear interior to bits to get to the three top bolts. There must be the anti-design awards somewhere that I can nominate the idiot who designed the rear trim!

Anyway, questions I still have.

How does the little bit of trim between the c pillar and the wing come out, or does it just stay in place?

Taking off the rear lights ( to get the last wing bolts). Removed the 8mm nuts. Do you have to remove the plastic nuts that appear under them or are they just tight or mastic'd.

The plastic trim fixers that attach the door sill plastic trim. 50% have broken. Is it bmw ridiculous cost replacements or are they generic?

Also, anything else I should do while I have it in pieces. I did also remove the seats to make life easier and fix the connection under the passenger seat that appears to be causing the air bag light to come on.

The good news is that under the sills there was very little rust on the side chassis. Not even much surface rust.

Possibly may take advantage of the wings off to strip and rustproof the rear suspension arms. Are there any gotchas on the suspension?.

Any advice appreciated.

Yes the rear trim is crazy in the way it's put in, seemingly starting from the front backwards. The rear window sills should have been the last pieces to go in and reveal anhy necessary bolts and allow rear top mount removal too.

The rear lights should just come off when the 4 nuts are undone. The rubber seal may be just keeping it stuck to the body.

Not sure which piece of trim you mean on the cpillar/wing.

Comment

The trim I was referring to is the on the outside between the top of the rear wing and the bottom of the roof pillar. Having loosened the wing it looks like it stays in place.

Comment

Hi there

I have recently just completed all of this and yes that section of trim stays in place.

Regards
        Fin

Comment

Thanks for the help. All stripped down and ready to see what needs doing to the rear wings. I think on the offside there are some pin holes through where the stone chips get it. My first thoughts are to strip it back to metal both sides and use glass fibre Mat to the back and a thin filler skim on the outside. Don't think letting in metal is warranted. Any thought?

Comment

Lang.. ive been there... the cost of new rear wing's is not that much... South of £300.. each once that tin worm is in there,betterto replace.

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
              Lang.. ive been there... the cost of new rear wing's is not that much... South of £300.. each once that tin worm is in there,betterto replace.
              Have all the panels off and it is pretty good news. No rust on the chassis. Apart from two "pinholes" in the front of the rear wing arch, there is only surface rust, especially on the inside of the sills.

I have removed all the surface rust and neutralised with fertan, which I have used successfully before. Question, any recommendations for sealing the insides. I used waxoyl on my MR2. I also presume it's better to do the sealing after I have had the panels sprayed?

Comment

Hi Langlands, sent you a PM, if you get a min let me know if you can help, appreciated

Comment

If there are holes in the metal, you need to be replacing metal, or you will be doing this again pretty soon.
                  Whilst I had all the rear trim out, I did the rear shock absorber top mounts too. Not expensive and all the trim has to be removed to get at them.

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
                    I'm not sure there available that cheap anymore? Last year I was looking was around £350+vat (but no stock anywhere and BMW Germany were waiting for a batch to be made), so over £400 in effect.

Comment

BMW UK have stock of the rear wings at the moment - list price £262.97 each plus vat (before any discount)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                        BMW UK have stock of the rear wings at the moment - list price £262.97 each plus vat (before any discount)
                        That's is a very good price (relatively) - I thought BMW prices only every went up!! When I was enquiring there was a price discrepency either side for some reason.

Comment

Thats near enough what i paid..+20% off...

Comment

I have been told dealers receive a larger discount from BMW on body panels so you should be able to get 20% off list from your local friendly dealer

Comment

Dave, which part numbers are they? I assume there are actually two different types for the Coupe depending if it's pre or post 04/99 cars as there is a slight difference due to the locking fuel flap. There is a cable guide spot-welded to the inside of the arch on 04/99 on cars that is not present on the originals.

Comment

Working...
                              X