Drivetrain clunk - normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivetrain clunk - normal?

I've owned my car (S50) for a few weeks now and have noticed a clunking noise from what sounds like somewhere along the drive train. It can be heard every time the clutch is fully depressed and only in 1st and 2nd gears at low speeds (in traffic, manoeuvering etc).

The car is really low mileage and was serviced by a BMW main dealer just before I bought it. It also had an uneventful "complimentary" health check by a separate BMW dealership when I took it to get its wheels balanced.

I suspect it's nothing to worry about but I just want to make sure. The car drives beautifully otherwise.

Thanks!

Nothing to worry about, I've had 2x M Coupes and an M Roadster do it. You learn to drive around it...

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

drive chain

mine also does this so recently i took my prop shaft off to inspect.the centre bearing was worn so had a new one fitted and a re ballance.the result being a smoother drive and less vibration at speed ,this did not stop a slight clunk noise at low speed and sloppy gear changes.as martin said this seems to be normall.

Comment

Mine’s always done it too.
        Isn’t it diff related?
        S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

That's all fairly reassuring thanks!

It only happens when the car is in motion; I guess it could be diff-related but I can't think how that would then lead to a noise when engaging the clutch? I've only driven one other for comparison but the gear change seems smooth and precise.

Comment

Mine isn’t related to the smoothness of the gearhange - it’s more to do with the transfer of torque to the rear wheels I think.
            S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Damn, now I'm going to worry about mine not having a clunk
              Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
              ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
              Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Working...
              X