Two stupid questions in one post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two stupid questions in one post

I figured if I save them up the piss-taking probably won't be as bad as if I posted separately

So, no. 1 - I have been driving around for the last few weeks with a decent sized nail sticking out of my rear tyre. To add insult to injury, it is actually one of my own nails...

Anyway, I have lost count of the number of tyre repair places I have now been to who all say they won't touch the wheels because they have to go on the machine upside down. Therefore the grippers would score the visible side of the rim and one would not be a happy camper - which I accept. However, I presume someone somewhere must be able to deal with these wheels apart from BMW (who I suspect do not do tyre repairs either.... ). Any ideas? Preferably in the Newcastle or Manchester areas? Surely it's not just me who's ever had this problem?

No. 2 is even more stupid... The only MC I experienced before buying mine was mint, however the drivers seat didn't recline. Which I found odd... I then bought my car, and the drivers seat doesn't recline... I convinced myself I had read somewhere that this is 'feature' of the car (albeit a crap one...) but surely not???!!! So, do people's drivers' seats recline, or again - is it just me???!!

the seat will recline if you lift the side handle and push back but only if the seat is not already fully back and touching the rear bulkhead.

the manual says " pull up lever and apply weight against the seat or allow it to come forward"
    Last edited by Dave P; 19-03-2010, 04:57 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Thanks Dave - I kind of had the fundamentals sussed!! Mine won't move though, forwards or backwards with the lever pulled up. Wondered if this was a common fault with it being the case in 100% of MCs I've ever been in!

Maybe I'll have a go at it over the weekend and see if I can un-jam it. Strange since the car had only done 15k when I bought it.

Comment

They do recline as said in previous post. but not enough for most.

there is a simple remedy for this problem.

Go to the hardware store and purchase two metric coupler nuts, then purchase a selection of short bolts to thread into the couplers.

1) take key out of ignition (so you wont trip any airbag or seat belt lights.

2) unbolt seat from car (no need to remove it from car)

3) attach your "metric coupler nut" to the front base studs.

4) thread shallow headed bolt to metric coupler. (front of seat)

5) bolt everything back together.

6)NOTE: make sure that the front bolts used do not impeded on the seat sliding forward( this is easily seen after the seat is bolted back together.)

What you end up with is the front of the seat lifted roughly 25mm(1") and you gain considerably more recline.

I personally think that the seat is to flat from the factory. I have installed this simple mod for quite a few Z3 friends and they love it.

Again I cant stress enough that the key MUST be removed from the ignition while the seat is unbolted.....the reason for this is: If the key is left in the ignition even while it is off the car can read a ground loss from the seat belts and throw and airbag light code. I did this once....

If anyone would like pictures of what I did post up and I can take some, but it might not be till later friday night or Saturday morning.

EDIT: When you fix the cable or actuating system for the seat to recline do this mod at the same time. you will love it.

Heath
        99 M-coupe alpine white(s52) sunroof delete & black nappa/evergreen guts.
        00 323IT(5-sp)
        05 Rubicon Unlimited triangulated long-arm 37" meats
        04 Dodge ram 2500 crew cab long-box
        03 KTM 525 EXC
        06 YZ250F 290 athena
        05 GAS GAS Pro 300 Trials
        06 TTR125L (spec class ice racer)

Comment

Cheers wheelie - no doubt when I get in there I'll find coinage jammed where it shouldn't be or something equally mundane!!

Comment

Yep I agree with Wheelie, raising the front of the seat offers much better support for the underside of your thighs, it also seats you back into the base of the seat better. Great cheap mod that makes a difference.
            Love it hate it Marmite exterior, Jaffa cake interior... Perfect

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. N View Post
              Anyway, I have lost count of the number of tyre repair places I have now been to who all say they won't touch the wheels because they have to go on the machine upside down. Therefore the grippers would score the visible side of the rim and one would not be a happy camper - which I accept. However, I presume someone somewhere must be able to deal with these wheels apart from BMW (who I suspect do not do tyre repairs either.... ). Any ideas? Preferably in the Newcastle or Manchester areas? Surely it's not just me who's ever had this problem?
              I've not had a problem getting tyres replaced. My local tyre-fitter (used them for years) use a piece of carpet placed on their equipment to prevent scratching the alloys and they just take CARE. Not rocket science.
              /// Exdos ///
              "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

I have had a problem with a tyre fitter Stating that the extra dish on the rear wheel does cause a problem ! never had a problem with them scratching alloys tho the is usualy a protective thing that they slip on the rim first.. a good tyre fitter will have no probs..

Comment

I'd love to see some photos of the install, Wheelie. At 6' tall I just about fit, but can't help but think I could be more comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Brewster View Post
                    I'd love to see some photos of the install, Wheelie. At 6' tall I just about fit, but can't help but think I could be more comfortable.

just got home, time for an evening cocktail to celebrate the first official long drive of the coupe coming out of winter storage.......

will take a few pics in a minute & post em up.

EDIT................ here's a few pics for you guys

This pic is of the metric couplers. 4 will be needed for both seats. Make sure that the bolts are short and also make sure that you get the most shallow head so it will not impede with the seat tracks.

This pic is of the installed coupler to the factory seat stud.

Last edited by wheelie; 20-03-2010, 04:40 AM.
                    99 M-coupe alpine white(s52) sunroof delete & black nappa/evergreen guts.
                    00 323IT(5-sp)
                    05 Rubicon Unlimited triangulated long-arm 37" meats
                    04 Dodge ram 2500 crew cab long-box
                    03 KTM 525 EXC
                    06 YZ250F 290 athena
                    05 GAS GAS Pro 300 Trials
                    06 TTR125L (spec class ice racer)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. N View Post
                      Thanks Dave - I kind of had the fundamentals sussed!! Mine won't move though, forwards or backwards with the lever pulled up. Wondered if this was a common fault with it being the case in 100% of MCs I've ever been in!

Maybe I'll have a go at it over the weekend and see if I can un-jam it. Strange since the car had only done 15k when I bought it.
                      My seat works fine, but i guess it would as i got the car from BMW dealer and has been through the 100 point check...
                      Are you sure you dont have the car too far back, the seat can meet the bulk head very low down. My car was valeted and they left the passenger seat up-right, i thought they had bust it but when i pressed the seat to slide forward i could then create enough angle to use the lever to get some "throw" on the back of the seat.....
                      Sytners BMW-Steel Grey S54-Red/Black Leather-Totally Standard.....

Comment

Originally posted by N7KHO View Post
                        Are you sure you dont have the car too far back, the seat can meet the bulk head very low down.
                        I'm certain.... At least now I know it's something that needs sorting though! Won't be anything complicated I'm sure...

Comment

Update.... Finally found somewhere to look at the tyre - the eighth place I tried I reckon...

Bloody nail hadn't gone right through anyway so after an hour wait I just drove off! One issue sorted anyway. I'll get onto the seat when it's stopped raining!

Comment

hey there - you might have sorted it by now, but i had Tyre Spot on Rothbury Terrace in Heaton remove a nail from mine no problem

Comment

Working...
                            X