Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre pressures

Morning all.

Running standard wheels and tyre sizes with Continental Conti Sport Contacts and noticed that the middles are wearing more than the edges on the rear. I noticed this with my old set of Goodyear Eagle F1s as well.

Question is, is the standard tyre pressure of 2.2bar for the rear too high for when 99.9% of the time its just me in it, without the bit of luggage the manual/door sticker shows?

Cheers
    Ian
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

I was always of the belief that worn middle of tyres denotes over inflation!

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
      I was always of the belief that worn middle of tyres denotes over inflation!
      Me too, which is odd when i am running everything standard.
      Last edited by Spooks; 13-01-2013, 12:43 PM.
      2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

I also run standard gear except HR's and find the inside of my rears wear first,and its the opposite on the fronts...rears always wear first! i have to renew 2x rears to 1xfronts.

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
          I also run standard gear except HR's and find the inside of my rears wear first,and its the opposite on the fronts...rears always wear first! i have to renew 2x rears to 1xfronts.
          Exactly the same !

I usually run 30 psi, but go to 32/33 for track days
          ///Made for sideways action

Comment

Is there not two different problems here.

1. Tyre pressure - looks like it maybe being run at a pressure a little on the high side. Only trouble is no matter what you do now it won't have any effect on these present tyres, the wear pattern is set. It's only when the new set is fitted it might be worth adjusting a touch. However before that is done thought, do you use the same pressure gauge all the time? To be sure it's reading correctly it may need checking against a gauge in a tyre depot, it could be your gauge is mis-reading. Some of the gauges on garage forecourts get a bit abused so if you use a particular garage, the gauge could be misreading.
            Originally posted by Spooks View Post
            Morning all.

Running standard wheels and tyre sizes with Continental Conti Sport Contacts and noticed that the middles are wearing more than the edges on the rear. I noticed this with my old set of Goodyear Eagle F1s as well.

Question is, is the standard tyre pressure of 2.2bar for the rear too high for when 99.9% of the time its just me in it, without the bit of luggage the manual/door sticker shows?

Cheers
            Ian
            2. Could this not be a tracking and/or camber issue? I don't think it is tyre pressures that are the cause.

Originally Posted by kwoffa

There are probably a few on here who are more knowledgeable than me on these issues and have had the same problems. Hopefully there will be some feedback to assist in solving both wear issues. Tyres are too expensive to have replace before they are due.
            Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
            2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
            1986 M635
            1985 E28 M5
            1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Running H&R's without any camber adjustment available will give you 2 degree of camber / --- \ like that :)

So inside edges wear more.
              ///Made for sideways action

Comment

Paul...yup i know that...personally i dont have a problem with the wear on my tyres at all! what i do know is that most if not all garage tyre gauges are out! thats why i use my own one..i do not track my car...and if i have a heavy load in the back,i:e my dive kit i have never adjusted tyre pressures,i simply drive a bit slower! with more care.i always use the indicator inside the door for pressures per single occupancy.

Comment

old post with some details on tyre wear,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...ight=tyre+wear

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                    old post with some details on tyre wear,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...ight=tyre+wear
                    Thanks Dave. I was thinking I may drop them down to 30psi from now on. Appreciate the wear is done but will give me an idea how it rides at that pressure before putting new tyres on; something it will probably need in the spring as down to about 3mm now.

Anyone running on 30psi rather than 32psi as standard?

Comment

I get this really bad on my A3 to the point the centres are on the markers and there's 4mm on the edges and it's running at 30psi. I think it's the tyres which are really soft carcass so prone to moving more under pressure.

With track-spec tyres they're generally 26psi and wear is good.

Comment

Working...
                      X