Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tyre choice

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere but I cannot find it via a search. My 2000 coupe is currently shod with Federal RSR's which I think are a track day/summer choice. The rear's need replacing urgently and I am not sure whether to just stick the same on even though I have no intention of tracking this car or should I bite the bullet and change all 4 for something that may be a bit easier to live with? Whilst I am at it, what would have been the original fit or is that irrelevant on a 16 year old car?

Any help much appreciated.

Some info here,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16199

I think BMW fitted Dunlop or Contis when the coupes were new

Comment

Mine was supplied with Michelin Pilot Sports and still has them (maybe 10 sets later). Think current ones are V3 though.
      S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s seem to work the best at an entry price point.

Depending on your ultimate use I imagine they would be more than up to the job.

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

You normally have to replace the rears twice as quick as the fronts..if your fronts are alright just replace the rears...i run continentals no problem !

Comment

RSRs have stiff sidewalls so a normal tyre will ride better. They are also quite poor in the damp/wet.

Micheline PS4, Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3 should all be good.

Comment

I'm running Kuhmo Ecsta's great value and have held up well on a few track days

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, I will price up the Goodyear and Michelin options. Not too sure about just changing the rears though, is that generally advisable?

Comment

They are gonna be better than whats on there now!!! wait till the fronts need replacing then you will have all four done ! across axle differences are not a good thing ! Done it many times till i could settle on what i liked,,

Comment

I always have the same brand on all 4 wheels but generally change in pairs (axel sets). Rears last me about 2/3rd of the time that fronts last (S54), my previous s50 roadster was half the time for rears over front (no traction or maybe I was younger then!).
                    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by garyp View Post
                      Thanks for the advice guys, I will price up the Goodyear and Michelin options. Not too sure about just changing the rears though, is that generally advisable?
                      I wouldn't normaly recommend it, and especially not when one axle will be on a semi slick which needs a bit of heat to work better.

Comment

Didnt realise the semi slick tyres,,was thinking along the lines of normal driving not track.

Comment

Thank you for the advice, will probably do all 4 as the fronts are going to need changing soon enough anyway

Comment

Working...
                          X