Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Year running report

Hi all,

Today marks the day that I picked up my M Coupe 1 year ago and I thought I'd post a running report of my time with the car.

So 1 year in, what do I think about it? - It's a car I've wanted to own for as long as I can remember and I've always been cautious about buying an M car due to the chance of a big bill (or multiple bills as I've since found out), however having taken the plunge, I’ve really not looked back!

It's a car that makes me smile whenever I drive it, I find its an occasion every time I turn the key, the warming up of the engine to 90 degrees before you give it some beans, the sound, the smell of the leather... it really does make a good ownership experience.

When I bought my MC, I knew there were certainly cheaper ones that I could have bought... there were certainly more expensive ones, however impatience got the better of me, and I bought the one closest to my house which had sensible miles (75k), full service history and what seemed like a caring previous owner - As it turned out, things are never as good as they seem!

In the year I've covered about 5k on the car, I've done 2 track days, 1 ring trip and plenty of Sunday evening drives through the Surrey/Sussex countryside!

I've not kept a complete tally, however if I were to put a figure on it, I would suggest that it's cost in the region of £5k this year to keep it in tip top condition, however like most cars if money were no object there are things I'd like to do (repaint front bumper - stone chips) but haven’t got round to yet.

Lots of the money spent is future proofing the car for the next few years, as I've done things replacing the bolts for ARP ones with new shells, completely overhauled the AC system, new clutch, prop bearing, replaced discs and pads (OEM), rogue top mounts to name a few.

On top of the above, I also treated it to a set of BBS LM's (with new tyres now, as the ones supplied rubbed the wheel arch liners) - however the wheels are not going anywhere (in 18" fitment they will fit other BMW's so they are keepers!), having fitted them I think set the look of the MC off to a tee.

The biggest bill I had was for an engine out head gasket replacement, which could happen to anyone I guess and whilst it was out I decided to go to town with the ARP bolts, shells, clutch etc (false economy not to) - but other than that, it's mainly been my attention to detail which has caused me to spend many a morning at Coopers BMW parts dept!

Anyway, that about it, I just thought I'd share for some of the lurkers yet to take the plunge.

Ultimately is it worth the investment to run an MC - yes in a word... for the time you take it out on track for the first time and experience the performance properly, or the first time someone in a petrol station wants to chat to you, it really does make your day!

rdgs
    andrew

2005, E46 M3 Carbon Black
    2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Good read, great to hear another owner enjoying their coupe.
    thanks for posting that up!

Click here to email me

Comment

Thanks for the update. You've done a good job for £5k. Useful upgrades and renewing old parts. Your last paragraph sums it up for a lot of owners.
      Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

Hi Andrew
        Off topic, but reading this has reminded me that I still have those BBS wheel bolts for you!
        If you still want them, pm me your address and I will pop them in the post
        Tony
        Black S50

Comment

Originally posted by chippy View Post
          Hi Andrew
          Off topic, but reading this has reminded me that I still have those BBS wheel bolts for you!
          If you still want them, pm me your address and I will pop them in the post
          Tony
          Hi Tony,

that would be great. PM sent.

cheers
          andrew

2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

out of interest how much was it to have the ARP bolts and shells done?
            S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Hi forever driving,

I had a bunch of stuff done all at the same time, however I recall it being in the region of £500 Inc parts... Having said that my engine was out for the headgasket replacement, so if you were just having the shells and bolts done it might be different.

Well worth doing for that extra piece of mind!

Rgds
              Andrew

2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

Good report

Gives a high and low cost of real on the road ownership.Many of us have carried out updates to particular areas, once completed the next few years are normal running costs---and subject to use reasonable(for Me).
                safetyfast

Comment

good write up andrew

£5k sounds a lot but you could have bought a new mondeo and lost that in depreciation
                  [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

Originally posted by ragerover View Post
                    good write up andrew

£5k sounds a lot but you could have bought a new mondeo and lost that in depreciation
                    I agree, and I'm keeping the car so the fag packet calculations are;

£2.8k - headgasket, arp bolts, vanos rebuild, clutch, rogues, oil, prop bearing, s/h ac compressor & condenser, re-gas etc

£650 - paint, had drivers side repainted

£450 - set of tyres Falken 452's

£300 - new condenser and dryer, Inc re-gas

£300 - new front brakes OEM

£500 - misc trim bits, new stereo, new key, front grille, rear wiper motor to name a few

2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

Slightly O/T Andrew, but what do you think if the Falkens and where did you get them fitted?

Comment

Originally posted by W1234 View Post
                        Slightly O/T Andrew, but what do you think if the Falkens and where did you get them fitted?
                        My BBS's came with Michelin Pilot Sports which felt good on the MC, however due to some rubbing issues on the fronts I decided to go down a tyre size from 235-40-18 to 225-40-18 which is much better with no rubbing issues.

I've only driven the car back from the garage I used in Billingshurst (not used it in a week :( ) and first impressions are that it rides nicely on them, no tramlining, however it did break traction a bit easier than the old ZZ3's I used on OEM wheels and the Pilot Sports, but I put that down to them now being scrubbed in yet.

For £450 for a set in 18" fitted, you can't go wrong really.

I'm sorry I actually have no idea who fitted them - the garage who was sorting my AC woes out had his man come round and do them (well he took them back to his workshop).

cheers
                        andrew

2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

Working...
                        X