Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dakar mc restoration from turkey

Hello guys,

I've been a long time lurker and admirer of these great machines. I was blessed to find and afford my M Coupe last week. This car has been one of my dream cars for such a long time.

I was lucky to find a completely stock, unmolested Dakar MC with impeccable service history. I bought her from her original owner since 1999 whom was a lady in her 50's.

These cars are extremely rare here in Turkey (7 cars to be exact) and this particular Dakar car is 1 of 1 ! :) :)
    The car was everything I hoped it to be. Fast, great looking, compact and wild !

Of course it needs a couple of things like fixing a couple of oil leaks from oil pan, transmission fluid and etc. Of course some interior buttons and coverings have faded in time which will also require fixing but for me that is half the fun.
    That's how I fell in love with my E30 M3 too :)

I will attack with my newbie questions although I've been searching a lot :)

First of all, the handling. It has waaay to much body roll. The car almost gives a wheelie when you step on it ana dives on every mild brake. Any upgrade suggestions ? KW perhaps ?

Clutch. Very very hard. My mech tells me it might be running out hence the stiffness. Is that true ?

What would be the general priority faulty points of these cars ? I know vanos is a common complaint and so is the squeaks here and there. Any other pointers ?

Here are a couple phone pics but a proper photoshoot will follow in a few days,

Without further ado, here is Tweety :)

It's great to be here, Thanks for looking.
    Can,

'87 M3
    '95 M3 GT
    '00 M Coupé
    '04 M3 CSL

welcome to the forum

Comment

for the clutch, try a braided hose/pipe for it before you replace whole clutch!

for complaints and problems (squeaks and creaks) check the boot floor for cracks

also the suspension, there are many options
      you could also look at H&R anti roll bars combined with a decent suspension and uprated top mounts (ACS/KW + rogue top mounts or new OEM ones!!!)

we have one member here cemalakcal who is in istanbul, turkey

Click here to email me

Comment

Here are some of the more common issues and solutions: http://www.mcoupebuyersguide.com/ind...ers-checklist/.

Congrats on a great find! Looks great!

2002 Steel Gray over Imola Red M Coupe

Comment

Congrats man! Welcome to the club!

Joe
          2002 BMW M Coupe (S54) in Sapphire Black with Imola Red Interior @ OEM+ Spec **Now with Wheels** **SOLD**

Need a holiday? Click here!

Comment

Welcome to the forum
            [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

MC addict

CLUBBER--Welcome to you and Tweety, who looks in great condition.Did you buy in UK and drive her out or Turkey? What dealers and service are available in the country ?
              safetyfast

Comment

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome..

Originally posted by dave p View Post
                welcome to the forum
                Thanks Dave, good to be here.

Originally posted by indy View Post
                for the clutch, try a braided hose/pipe for it before you replace whole clutch!

for complaints and problems (squeaks and creaks) check the boot floor for cracks

also the suspension, there are many options
                you could also look at H&R anti roll bars combined with a decent suspension and uprated top mounts (ACS/KW + rogue top mounts or new OEM ones!!!)

we have one member here cemalakcal who is in istanbul, turkey
                Thanks for all the pointers, I will check for them asap. Cemal is a good friend and also a member of BMW Car Club Turkey which I am the President of. His all is great too.

Originally posted by jrmartin03 View Post
                Here are some of the more common issues and solutions: http://www.mcoupebuyersguide.com/ind...ers-checklist/.

Congrats on a great find! Looks great!
                Wow. That has been quite helpful, I already have the rocking seat issue. Thanks to you I know the fix now.

Originally posted by jrsmooth View Post
                Congrats man! Welcome to the club!

Joe
                Thanks

Originally posted by ragerover View Post
                Welcome to the forum
                Originally posted by ZZZEMMCO View Post
                CLUBBER--Welcome to you and Tweety, who looks in great condition.Did you buy in UK and drive her out or Turkey? What dealers and service are available in the country ?
                Thanks. I bought her from here, Istanbul, it was imported back in 99 from BMW Turkey, we have official dealers here since the 70's. They are everywhere and they service everything from z8's to E30's and X6Ms...
                Can,

'87 M3
                '95 M3 GT
                '00 M Coupé
                '04 M3 CSL

Comment

Welcome to realworld "oups I forgot, you have an E30 M3"
                  I'm not a clown but the shoe is ///Mine
                  sigpic

Estoril/Estoril/black, B&M SSK, 6Spd S6S-420G, Strong Strut, R.Forbes sub-frame kit & RE dual ear diff cover, Supersprint Race Headers & Resonators & DTM Cat-backs, Bilstein B6 Sport, BBS RC 301 & 303 8.5/10x18" wheels, Alcon Mono6 355mm Front & Mono4 332mm Rear Full Floating BBK, Pro Ramp Variable Lock %75 LSD

Comment

Welcome and congrats!

For suspension, for a street car, KW v3 seems very safe choice but it isn't cheap. There is also H&R or Ksport, both are a bit cheaper but a little on the harsh side. If you're in for more track duty, H&R anti-rollbars are also welcome mod.

Comment

Originally posted by cemalakcal View Post
                      Welcome to realworld "oups I forgot, you have an E30 M3"
                      Thanks for the warm welcome. Compared to the E30 M3, the newcomer is a GT :)

Originally posted by inside View Post
                      Welcome and congrats!

For suspension, for a street car, KW v3 seems very safe choice but it isn't cheap. There is also H&R or Ksport, both are a bit cheaper but a little on the harsh side. If you're in for more track duty, H&R anti-rollbars are also welcome mod.
                      I want to keep the balance between comfort and sport. Less body roll is my priority, I will look in to those recommendations, thanks.
                      Can,

'87 M3
                      '95 M3 GT
                      '00 M Coupé
                      '04 M3 CSL

Comment

Mini Restoration Begins !

Since It has been almost a month I got my MC, I could finally find time and funds to start my resurrection with the car. The car wasn't in bad shape to begin with but since I am a perfectionist and mean to hold on to this beauty for long years, I thought I should restore her to as new as possible.

Here is the to do list: ( In no particular order )
                        • Installation of all the parts
                        • Fix the jumping CD changer and repair the headunit display with missing pixels
                        • Painting the OEM wheels in Chrome Shadow color.
                        • Cat. delete for rasping sound.
                        • Reupholstering the steering wheel, gearbox tunnel, hand brake, floor mats (borders)
                        • Replacing all the fluids (engine,trans.,diff.,brake etc.)
                        • General maintenance (filters,spark plugs, bushings, hoses etc.)
                        • Repainting side M grills
                        • Sorting out all the noises coming from inside the car
                        • Cleaning and polishing all the metal bits here and there

and of course some things which we will find out along the way,

so here we go, wish me luck fellas :)

A week after I got her, I ordered all the required parts and pieces which were determined by me and my mechanic after careful inspection, inside out.

Before I dropped her to my mechanic for the overhaul, I got my spare BBS set in the trunk so she would have some wheel while the OEM wheels get painted to move around the shop,

I love coupe, 3 wheels in the boot :)

Side grill with poor painting from PO, you can see how the borders have crossed and etc.

Worn M emblem,

Worn and discolored pieces,

Speaker cover,

AC button

shiny steering wheel, hand brake etc.

Deformed floor mats and disgusting racer boy pedal set,

poor painted wheels,

Wrong concave M boot badge,

Here are the fist batch of parts,

Can,

'87 M3
                        '95 M3 GT
                        '00 M Coupé
                        '04 M3 CSL

Comment

Next day, I went to check out the progress at the shop,

Old worn, torn and damaged parts,

Replaced with new items,

New diff mount,

After checking out the car, I went to see my OEM wheels which are to be painted chrome shadow, they were stripped out of their tires and waiting.

Next was removing the exhaust to have the catalytic converters replaced with straight pipes. I am not a fart can lover but the OEM setup is way too quiet. Besides, I love the rasp and my exhaust guy said this would help it,

Just when we took out the exhaust and diff, we realized a crack in the differantial mount which was unexpected but good to notice early before anything happened.

Can,

'87 M3
                          '95 M3 GT
                          '00 M Coupé
                          '04 M3 CSL

Comment

i am loving this thread!

Click here to email me

Comment

I think the alloy pedals are expensive BMW performance items,

great thread

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-BMW-Pe...item2ea5691b66

Comment

Working...
                              X