Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alarming!!!

Curse word alarm!!!

I went to start the M today but there wasn’t enough power to turn her over. I locked it up and went to rummage for the trickle charger, about a minute or so later the alarm started going off.

Anyway, I charged the car up, turned it over and it fired into life. Bingo! So I locked it up and went off, but, 2 mins later and the alarm started going off.

I unlocked and relocated the car and 2 mins later the alarm started sounding.

Question is, what’s wrong with it and how can I sort it?

Don't know if it will solve the problem but you could unplug the bonnet sensor and see if that helps?

Comment

Just a thought - does it go off with the charger connected and the car locked using the remote? Could be that the battery is right on the limit of needing replacing.
      1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

I’ll have to investigate more tomorrow. Good shout about the battery, I have no idea how long it’s been on there.

Comment

Well one thing lead to another and whilst we were in lock down I used the time to re-dye the interior, easy to get side tracked, eh?

I disconnected the bonnet alarm sensor but no joy, it’s still going off. I can only think that the battery in the alarm isn’t charging.

Anyone have experience of replacing the battery or have any other suggestions?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Big02 View Post
            Well one thing lead to another and whilst we were in lock down I used the time to re-dye the interior, easy to get side tracked, eh?

I disconnected the bonnet alarm sensor but no joy, it’s still going off. I can only think that the battery in the alarm isn’t charging.

Anyone have experience of replacing the battery or have any other suggestions?

Cheers
            Cant recall reading about anyone having to change the internal battery but may be some details on BMW TIS ?

Comment

Bit of an update and hopefully a resolution.

After a lot of reading on the web I discovered that Z3 Roadsters suffer with water ingress in the boot, with water collecting in a well located in the near side rear wheel arch, by the lights. This is also the location of the tilt sensor. Most of the time this can give alarm issues and it’s not uncommon for there to be so much water that the sensor is submerged!

Anyway, desperate to try anything at this stage I set about undoing the boot panels and the sound deadening. Fortunately there was no pool of water but it was certainly a damp in there. I left all of the covers off so that it could dry out and guess what, the alarm is back to normal.

Now, could I have gotten lucky? Yes. I think it’s too much of a coincidence though that the alarm is now working having dried out the area where the tilt sensor is located.

So, issue resolved, I hope. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
              X