Replacement battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement battery

Hi, Can anyone offer advice on the best battery to use? She’s an S50 and is currently running with a Bosch S5 007 but although the coupe is inside and well wrapped up, the cold weather is affecting the start up so will fit a replacement and an Optimate or similar. Any other general advice would be welcome. Cheers and seasons greetings to all members. Steve

Replaced mine with another Bosch S5 earlier this year - no problems at all. I keep it on a c-tek charger over the winter.
    '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

Thanks for the advice

Comment

useful thread this one. Thanks. Also just picked up a Bosch s5. The z3mc manual advises to disconnect the negative terminal if leaving the car for over four weeks. I've never previously done that, mainly as the car was in a basement garage at an apartment block so wanted alarm to be on, but these days the car is in a household garage and used a lot less so might start.
        Not sure what good battery life is these days but the new Bosch replaces a Kwikfit battery bought as somewhat of an emergency replacement about eight years ago after the OEM expired. Not sure if that is a good tenure or not.

Comment

I’ve just replaced car battery on the Coupe yesterday which had been a bit iffy for starting the last month or so. I checked the details on battery in the car, Bosch S4007 supplied by Euro Car Parts according to sticker on it. I have never fitted a new battery whilst in my ownership of 7 years so had to look through the spreadsheet I've compiled of all car history from previous owners and found that the last battery was fitted in 2009 by previous owner, so not bad for 10 years!! Cost £81-95 + £25 + VAT for fitting back then.

It really does pay to check around as the price variations for the same/similar batteries are amazing. Using my car reg to find if I had the correct one installed, it proved correct. Euro Car Parts came up with £179.999 (4year guarantee), Halfords equivalent £98 and my local car parts guy Sewells in Billingham £76, with fitting cost of £0.

The Bosch S4007 with 3 year guarantee I picked up from Sewells (the shop owner put car reg in on his PC which came up with this battery also) turned out to be identical to my old battery when I put them side by side even down to the Bosch leaflet attached to the side of the battery.
          Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
          2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
          1986 M635
          1985 E28 M5
          1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

My dad used to get his parts from Sewells!

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

I've been using Sewells since the 70's initially with the present owner's father John Sewell who unfortunately was brutally murdered in the back of the shop in 1991. Great bloke used to lend tools out to regulars at no cost, just small returnable deposit, very trust worthy times back then!! He also had an encyclopaedic knowledge of all things Ford, BL and Rootes Group spare parts.
              Its one of those real old style parts shops that doesn't seem to have changed since I first started going there, apart from cordless/mobile phones and a PC screen, its like going into a time warp. Your dad would recognise the place straight away.
              Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
              2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
              1986 M635
              1985 E28 M5
              1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Working...
              X