Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with you 100%.

Still looks good though.

I've always liked the E36 M3 Evo coupes in estoril with the cream leather, and black dash - i.e. not cheap looking wood ! I know thats quite boring but its what I'd buy.

The other option I was looking for was a boston green one with black leather but they are hard to find.

My latest obsession is a 205 gti. I've wanted one for about 10 years. Hopefully soon to be purchased if I can find somewhere to put it ! Maybe its the E36 turn after that !
    Ex 2001 S54
    New cars:
    Lotus Carlton
    350Z

Comment

Originally posted by MGR View Post
      I agree with you 100%.

Still looks good though.

I've always liked the E36 M3 Evo coupes in estoril with the cream leather, and black dash - i.e. not cheap looking wood ! I know thats quite boring but its what I'd buy.

The other option I was looking for was a boston green one with black leather but they are hard to find.

My latest obsession is a 205 gti. I've wanted one for about 10 years. Hopefully soon to be purchased if I can find somewhere to put it ! Maybe its the E36 turn after that !
      i like the 205's, but after having a few clios, it would seem like going backwards to something far lesser! the clios set a great benchmark for a hot hatch, and theres not much out there that i think of as better (id like to try an FRS like your old one though!!!)

estoril with silver/grey leather and grey/black dash
      this one was very very close to immaculate! about 75k miles, 98 R.

the only green M3 id go for, is the original GT, which i havent had yet!

Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by indy View Post
        i like the 205's, but after having a few clios, it would seem like going backwards to something far lesser! the clios set a great benchmark for a hot hatch, and theres not much out there that i think of as better (id like to try an FRS like your old one though!!!)

estoril with silver/grey leather and grey/black dash
        this one was very very close to immaculate! about 75k miles, 98 R.

the only green M3 id go for, is the original GT, which i havent had yet!
        Very nice. That would have done it !

We have a clio sport at the moment also ! Its a late 172 in black. I don't really get on with the driving position. Its a great car, the engine is fantastic.

The problem with the FRS is that they are so variable car to car. The first one I had was epic, the next one was quite ordinary. I thought it was just me and rose tinted specs but I'm not the only one to say this and its even in the evo mag review. Problem it unless you know you have to drive millions until you find a good one. The FRS is miles ahead of the clio apart from its a turbo and the enigne is frankly crap. Its got enough poke but theres no quality or response. Thats the clios trump card over it.

you also have to colour in the steering wheel with some black marker unless you want to be sick every time you go for a drive !
        Last edited by MGR; 09-04-2011, 10:27 AM.
        Ex 2001 S54
        New cars:
        Lotus Carlton
        350Z

Comment

Had a 205 for 12 years (Mi16 for 10yrs) and we bought a 55-plate Clio 182 (with Cup Packs). The Clio is very impressive as (for it's size) is quite refined and comfortable and you could get great economy, however it just never felt in it's element being driven fatst I think I drove it merely quick barely a handful of times in the year we had it, it just didn't have the natural feel that the 205 has. The 205 beats it for the drive, nothing touches a 205 from what I've driven so far. They feel crashy and unrefined (compared with modern stuff, and if lowered) but on a b-road or a-road they just come alive and the gear ratios are perfect.

Before I sold mine it'd sat on my parents drive for 2 years, the buyer wanted it MOT'ing so I temporarily insured it for the week and I pretty much spent the whole week looking for excused to drive it lol

Comment

Originally posted by MGR View Post
            Very nice. That would have done it !

We have a clio sport at the moment also ! Its a late 172 in black. I don't really get on with the driving position. Its a great car, the engine is fantastic.

The problem with the FRS is that they are so variable car to car. The first one I had was epic, the next one was quite ordinary. I thought it was just me and rose tinted specs but I'm not the only one to say this and its even in the evo mag review. Problem it unless you know you have to drive millions until you find a good one. The FRS is miles ahead of the clio apart from its a turbo and the enigne is frankly crap. Its got enough poke but theres no quality or response. Thats the clios trump card over it.

you also have to colour in the steering wheel with some black marker unless you want to be sick every time you go for a drive !
            lol, yeah the steering wheel does look shite on the FRS!
            i went in one before, it had a few mods on it. from where i was sitting, it felt pretty damn awesome, i have an idea that a standard one wont be as good though

Originally posted by c_w View Post
            Had a 205 for 12 years (Mi16 for 10yrs) and we bought a 55-plate Clio 182 (with Cup Packs). The Clio is very impressive as (for it's size) is quite refined and comfortable and you could get great economy, however it just never felt in it's element being driven fatst I think I drove it merely quick barely a handful of times in the year we had it, it just didn't have the natural feel that the 205 has. The 205 beats it for the drive, nothing touches a 205 from what I've driven so far. They feel crashy and unrefined (compared with modern stuff, and if lowered) but on a b-road or a-road they just come alive and the gear ratios are perfect.

Before I sold mine it'd sat on my parents drive for 2 years, the buyer wanted it MOT'ing so I temporarily insured it for the week and I pretty much spent the whole week looking for excused to drive it lol
            that still dont make me want a 205 and getting a fairly decent Mi16 one wont be easy to find, would have to splash out well, and then prob regret it (i still think theyre too old now!) a lot of them are probably just sheds anyway (as thats where most were built! )

i think i saw pics of yours in the gallery before, looked nice

used to LOVE the dimma kitted 205's, but again, most of them were just heaps underneath the body, and again youd have to spend silly money to get something half decent, it just isnt worth the hassle unless you are really into them (as you can guess, im not )

i guess i could change my opinion if i went in one, or drove one, but thats prob never gonna happen

i had a clio 182 with cup packs too.
            for everyday use they are a great value for money car, i rated it very highly! (even cheaper now aswell)

the trophy is a much better car to drive (just not for everyday though!) its noisier, and doesnt have xenons/climate etc, but thats not what its all about, the drive is unbelieveable for something that was like £15.5k as brand new

i like the "out the box" cars, ones you dont have to spend a lot of money on modding, to get them to a good driving standard! hence thinking the clios are the best buy hot hatch around (also the reason why i like the E36 M3's so much)

Click here to email me

Comment

Yea it depends what you're after in a car, a Clio 182 with Cup Packs is a great car and, despite it being classed as older hatch these days, a much more modern hatch than the 205 and the drive is just not the same. As you say the 182 is a great "everyday" car - the 205 isn't so much (especially if it's been modified) as it's much more focussed.

Comment

Don't write a 205 GTi off - they're brilliant cars. The longest period I've ever owned a car was with my 205 GTi 1.9, and I only sold it as I was going to the States for 13 months. Everyone should have a drive in one at least once.
                Current: 2005 330i Sport
                Sold but never forgotten: 2000 Estoril S50

Comment

I owned a 182 with CUP packs for 5 years before I went to the Z3M Roadster & that was an awesome little car. Punched well above it's weight & had plenty of the old French leift off oversteer character about it.

I would definately say I'd be miles quicker in that round Brands or a similar track than I would be in the Z.

As you say the driving position is flawed, but a change of seats or even the cheeky spacers under the front runner bolt at the front would help no end.

Comment

Originally posted by ghibbett View Post
                    Don't write a 205 GTi off - they're brilliant cars. The longest period I've ever owned a car was with my 205 GTi 1.9, and I only sold it as I was going to the States for 13 months. Everyone should have a drive in one at least once.
                    i think i drove a 309 GTI, and if thats anything to go by, i will continue to want to pass (it was a heap though!)

Originally posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
                    I owned a 182 with CUP packs for 5 years before I went to the Z3M Roadster & that was an awesome little car. Punched well above it's weight & had plenty of the old French leift off oversteer character about it.

I would definately say I'd be miles quicker in that round Brands or a similar track than I would be in the Z.

As you say the driving position is flawed, but a change of seats or even the cheeky spacers under the front runner bolt at the front would help no end.
                    just get these seats and then there is no complaints, they were option in 182's (recaro trendline)

i never had them in my first 182, but quickly got used to the driving position and found it quite comfortable after using it for a while (when i first used it, was annoying having to move the seat all the time )

the recaros are really comfy!

Click here to email me

Comment

I prefer the Reacro CS's out of the 197-200s, but they are pricey :(

Comment

The main problem I found with the 182 is the steering wheel angle, it's bit like an old Mini. I do think the seating position problems you hear about are over exaggerated though. The seats can be lowered by removing some plastic spacers under the seats. It's amazing that Peugeot got it so right with the 205 though, then so wrong with the 106 and 206 (offset pedals etc).

Indy, I don't think you "get" old school Peugeots . My old 205 was in need of a bit of a spruce up and drove like a bag of nails on urban roads, but despite that on a decent road the drive couldn't be bettered - it's miles better than anything BMW have put out, especially the E36/Z3 era.
                        Last edited by c_w; 14-04-2011, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                          Indy, I don't think you "get" old school Peugeots
                          not sure what gives you that impression

Click here to email me

Comment

I had a low mileage Ph1 172 and the chassis/damping was superb, best I have driven. Engine got great economy for what it was, although I always hit the limiter (was used to driving a rev hungry rx-7 at the time). I only sold it because it was a little too small for putting bikes in, also the driving position really did annoy me after a while. Everytime I drove it I had to change the driving position to get comfortable, even if I'd only driven it 15 mins earlier. I would like to try a trophy, but again, not big enough for bikes would prevent its use as an everyday car.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Wav View Post
                              I had a low mileage Ph1 172 and the chassis/damping was superb, best I have driven. Engine got great economy for what it was, although I always hit the limiter (was used to driving a rev hungry rx-7 at the time). I only sold it because it was a little too small for putting bikes in, also the driving position really did annoy me after a while. Everytime I drove it I had to change the driving position to get comfortable, even if I'd only driven it 15 mins earlier. I would like to try a trophy, but again, not big enough for bikes would prevent its use as an everyday car.

Paul
                              I have a ph1 172 I bought about 6 months ago, 1 owner, 25k miles!

I just never use it and keep thinking of selling it but every time I do drive it, it puts a smile on my face.

Great little car! I would like another trophy but only because of the limited number thing and the fact that I have a thing for red cars recently for soem reason.

I have to say though, the 172ph1 and Trophy made me smile equally. Im sure the Trophy is a better car but I cant place one above the other.

Lee
                              Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
                              New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Lee View Post
                                I have a ph1 172 I bought about 6 months ago, 1 owner, 25k miles!

I just never use it and keep thinking of selling it but every time I do drive it, it puts a smile on my face.

Great little car! I would like another trophy but only because of the limited number thing and the fact that I have a thing for red cars recently for soem reason.

I have to say though, the 172ph1 and Trophy made me smile equally. Im sure the Trophy is a better car but I cant place one above the other.

Lee
                                Interesting stuff, mine had 29k on the clock when I bought it and it felt nice and tight. I'm sure at 100k they don't feel quite so together though. Is your ph1 clio flame red, I saw one in Convent garden last Sat and it looked great in that colour and I think that colour is pretty rare too?

Let me know if/when you're thinking of selling, I'm currently saving for a wedding but you never know.

Ta,

Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X