My First Z3M Coupe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Z3M Coupe.

After 20 BMW M3's that have been purchased and restored cosmetically to their former glory then sold to make way for the next project, I thought I'd track my progress on my first Z3M here, as well as on my own driving history blog. Might pick up some good advice and pointers along the way from being a Z3 Newbee. Everything I do is best efforts, on a budget, knowing I work in IT and I am NOT a mechanic.
    Last edited by Jonnysideways; 19-10-2020, 09:50 AM.
    2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Day 1.

Having had a chance to see the car in the light I had a quick look around and made a quick is of the things that would take some of the age and wear off the car.

Letter "m" rear 51 14 2 250 811 for the boot.
    Grommets 51 14 1 807 495.
    Boot badge 51 14 7 721 222 D=70MM
    Spring nuts 64 11 1 364 257 - To clip the front grill mesh down.
    Storing partition front 51 16 8 119 624 - To give me a cheap solution for a workable cup/can holder.
    Bulb socket with bulb - 61 13 8 353 797 - To bring some life back to my heater controls.

Quick Wash and review and admiration of my purchase.
    Last edited by Jonnysideways; 06-11-2020, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Day 2.

So 2 days in. What does it need? What are the issues?

The first issue is annoying, after the test drive where you respect the guy's car, it would seem on hard acceleration and deceleration there is a clunk from the rear, like the dreaded diff/floor rip issue, so thats put a damper on things straight away.

I had a good review of the diff and surrounding areas, and there looked to be no visible issues with the floor, or diff tabs, and bushes looked on visual inspection to be ok, so I booked it into my Indy to have a good check.

The temp gauge stays off-center, which is a possible thermostat issue, again for my Indy to look at.

The rear tires though in good order are cheap tires, possibly popped on for the sale, I assumed (stupid me) that there were all Uniroyal rain sports, which are a reasonable tire (as they were on the front when I started to check tire tread depths, but they are budget on the back, and it spins up as soon as it comes near moist road, so they will have to go at some point before I drive it in anger, or it will find a hedge.

There was also an issue that the lower N/S wing piece was sticking out and not fitted right, but a bit of wood and gentle persuasion got that back sorted.

I then degreased the engine, and also gave the Rocker cover some attention.

Cleaned up and touched up the PAS cooling loop.

Then degreased.

The looked at the age-old issue of door trim falling off.

Quick fix for this little job.
      Last edited by Jonnysideways; 06-11-2020, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Day 3.

Car to the garage.

Jobs to be completed.

Gearbox oil refresh
        Diff Oil refresh
        New thermostat.
        Hand Brake Cable.

Turns out after some test drives and poking on the ramp, the clunk for the drive train was one of the engine mounts being in two pieces.

Then on its return, I will be removing some corrosion from around the jacking points, and tackling the rocking seat issue, new bushes acquired from the internet.

One good thing for its trip to the garage thus far is all the diff area is fine, and generally, the car is in good health underneath and has had some braided brake lines along the way as well as a braided clutch line, so a few things for me not to have to sort for a change.

The next spend will be some rear tires.
        Last edited by Jonnysideways; 09-02-2020, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Day 4.

The car is still at the garage, but its parts have arrived...

Thanks to the guys at Harry Fairbairns.
          Last edited by Jonnysideways; 27-03-2020, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Looking good looking at the engine bay (something I am well known/admired for) you are missing the rubber strip from the top of your radiator - part number 17111723963 common for these to disappear over time.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...02#17111723963

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
              (something I am well known/admired for)
              Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
              ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
              Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
                Your second victim this week Dave?!

Great progress so far, seems like there have been a few Coupes purchased this year so far, hope to meet you guys sometime

Comment

cheers, it will go on order...

Comment

That’s a few hours well spent indeed, looks great

Keep the updates coming
                    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Nice start to the journal Jonny. Good work
                      1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by urquattrogus View Post
                        Your second victim this week Dave?!

Great progress so far, seems like there have been a few Coupes purchased this year so far, hope to meet you guys sometime
                        I'm the third lol saw the post and had a look, surprise surprise also missing

Comment

cheers all.

Comment

Re temp gauge being off-centre; if it's on the cold side of centre then that is normal, especially at this time of year. They don't tend to sit in the dead middle.

Comment

Thanks for the comments, however in my case the thermostat was tested, and is faulty ;0) It was between the start and the middle if that makes sense, so was not warming up fully. More than a little of centre
                              Like this example.
                              Last edited by Jonnysideways; 11-02-2020, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X