Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Springs / Suspension set up

Hi,

I have been thinking or purchasing a set of H&R lowering springs which claim to lower the car by 30mm. However I am happy with the ride height at the front it is the rear that appears too high. 30mm at the front would be too low.

Ideally I would like the rear lower by say 20mm and leave the front as it is.

Any advice would be much appreciated as these things have a habit of snowballing out of control and before you know it I could end up replacing all the suspension!!

Thanks.
    1999 BMW Z3M Coupe - Estoril Blue
    sigpic

I have recently changed the rear springs with genuine BMW springs thinking it must have the wrong springs on it, however the rear ride height is exactly the same! Guess I could just put the H&R springs on the rear and see how it sits, but I only seem to be able to find suppliers that sell them as a set of 4?
    The BMW springs where £200, and am a bit apprehensive about buying who knows how many more sets of springs before I get it right?
    sigpic

Comment

Some cars seem to sit higher than others on stock springs, but invariably they all seem to sit a touch on the high side.

I wouldn't think just rear lowering springs would look right, since you'll then think the front sits too high. And normally the lowering springs can often lower the rear a touch too much (although H&R are not too bad and fairly level; if it's too low you can fit thicker spring pads on the rear to alter the rake of the car).

Comment

rear springs

mine was lowered 30 /35 mm front and rear and on full lock the fronts rubbed the wheel arches and the rear wheel was far to close to outside edge of arch.this admittedly was partly due to 20mmspacers on my 18 rondells but i was not happy so purchased some spring spacers for rear 12 mm and machined some top mount spacers for front 10 mm.it now sits good and no rubbing.i was told that the ac springs are only 20 mm lower if still available.they do look a lot better on lower springs though.

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

My main concern will be the front tyres rubbing on the arches. I have 12mm spacers all round.

The H&R springs claim to lower the car by 30mm. May go for the Eibach springs that claim to lower the car by 20mm.

Still pondering!
          sigpic

Comment

Just looked them up, ac springs no longer available!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Stink View Post
              Thanks for the comments.

My main concern will be the front tyres rubbing on the arches. I have 12mm spacers all round.

The H&R springs claim to lower the car by 30mm. May go for the Eibach springs that claim to lower the car by 20mm.

Still pondering!
              Eibach tend to lower too much at the rear. H&R are not as low IME.

If you're on stock wheels you won't rub, unless you have too much poke. Only bit you may rub is the top of the front plastic arch liner. I've run 255/40/17 R888 (equivalent to 265s) on a 10J ET5 and no rubbing on the back. And run 245/40 R888s on the front 9J ET35 without rubbing.

Comment

Just looked them up, ac springs no longer available!

You couldn't ever buy just the springs for the M Coupe from ACS but only as a full suspension kit and very rare to find second hand.

Comment

I have AC Schnitzer suspension fitted and the car sits perfectly IMHO. Unfortunately it’s past it’s best and could do with a refresh. Can the old shocks be refurbished?

Comment

Originally posted by David z coupe View Post
                    I have AC Schnitzer suspension fitted and the car sits perfectly IMHO. Unfortunately it’s past it’s best and could do with a refresh. Can the old shocks be refurbished?
                    Never done it but I believe they can be rebuilt, Bilstein offer this service

https://www.bilstein-shocks.co.uk/pa...ebuild-service

Comment

If I purchase the H&R springs I assume I am best going for the Bilstein b8 dampers all round?
                      sigpic

Comment

If I purchase the H&R springs I assume I am best going for the Bilstein b8 dampers all round?
                        some details here,

https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showt...light=bilstein

Comment

Thanks Dave.
                          sigpic

Comment

The b8 dampers are very good, particularly the front ones

Comment

I went with B8s and H&R springs last year. Also added ARBs and some spacers all round and it sits really nicely and rides well. Very happy.
                              '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

Working...
                              X