X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fastdrive View Post
    an question
    m3 e46 compared to mcoupe
    And how is drive the s3 vs sti vs an m power rwd?
    I stay until to take an decision for trade the m coupe to one of that..
    M3 was great, bit easier to drive harder than the coupe cos of all the 'aids' but you could turn them off, rides alot better on 18's than 19's (swapped them around to use up tyres then sold the 19's) I did have AST Coilovers fitted to it within a week of purchasing it though which improved it alot, again, downsides were brakes, but sorted those with tarrox discs and yellow stuff pads (my fav pad lol) I did stick a supersprint exhaust on it but it was so noisy and motorway journeys were just a headache so took it off, prefered the 'rasp' it gave oem anyway. and the gruppe m carbon air box made a lovely sound up front :)

S3 vs STi -
    totally different cars really, the S3 was lovely, wafting around, remapped to 260bhp. great interior and comfy leather recaro's. Handling was very understeery, would've fitted a haldex controller if I was to keep one and get more of the power sent to the rear. It was great to munch miles up in and a good laugh round the track but not quick. More comfort and 'sporty' like a relaxed golf gti.

The Sti was a full prodrive upgraded one with 370ish bhp, great hoot to drive, handled superb, also tended to understeer but a dab of right foot soon cured that! Very rapid from a standing start, and on boost was a lovely noise whilst the speedo climbed very quick until 120ish, when the aero dynamics of a brick started to slow it up a bit. Great car round the track, and the suspension (with seperate oil reservoirs, fully adjustable everything which was cool) was good to fiddle with and you could literally loose hours on track days 'adjusting' settings.. going out.. adjusting more etc.. a fun car to have and would go anywhere in any weather! it would kill any M in the wet. Downsides were really the brembo brakes... amazing for stopping!! but £1000's to replace!! and the cheaper oem replica versions were crap!
    interior quality wasn't great, but indestructable! the seats were ok but didn't hold you in that well, and the only reason I sold it was the image of it really. Always getting attention from chavs/cops &kids wanting to race you. I'll dig out some pics and pop them up.

I like the coupe because the handling (once sorted) will be on par as the M3 but just as easy to hang the rear out and feel/feedback is o. not great but ok. its just as quick as m3, its different and people are interested in it rather than being jealous/wanting to race etc... the boot is fine for stuff and I only need 2 seats :) and I see it as a keeper, if I ever need more seats etc, I'd prob get a 320d for a family run around as I'm quite lucky to have space to store the ///M... just wish it had 2 poster ramps in!!
    ///Made for sideways action

Comment

Originally posted by paulm3 View Post
      M3 was great, bit easier to drive harder than the coupe cos of all the 'aids' but you could turn them off, rides alot better on 18's than 19's (swapped them around to use up tyres then sold the 19's) I did have AST Coilovers fitted to it within a week of purchasing it though which improved it alot, again, downsides were brakes, but sorted those with tarrox discs and yellow stuff pads (my fav pad lol) I did stick a supersprint exhaust on it but it was so noisy and motorway journeys were just a headache so took it off, prefered the 'rasp' it gave oem anyway. and the gruppe m carbon air box made a lovely sound up front :)

S3 vs STi -
      totally different cars really, the S3 was lovely, wafting around, remapped to 260bhp. great interior and comfy leather recaro's. Handling was very understeery, would've fitted a haldex controller if I was to keep one and get more of the power sent to the rear. It was great to munch miles up in and a good laugh round the track but not quick. More comfort and 'sporty' like a relaxed golf gti.

The Sti was a full prodrive upgraded one with 370ish bhp, great hoot to drive, handled superb, also tended to understeer but a dab of right foot soon cured that! Very rapid from a standing start, and on boost was a lovely noise whilst the speedo climbed very quick until 120ish, when the aero dynamics of a brick started to slow it up a bit. Great car round the track, and the suspension (with seperate oil reservoirs, fully adjustable everything which was cool) was good to fiddle with and you could literally loose hours on track days 'adjusting' settings.. going out.. adjusting more etc.. a fun car to have and would go anywhere in any weather! it would kill any M in the wet. Downsides were really the brembo brakes... amazing for stopping!! but £1000's to replace!! and the cheaper oem replica versions were crap!
      interior quality wasn't great, but indestructable! the seats were ok but didn't hold you in that well, and the only reason I sold it was the image of it really. Always getting attention from chavs/cops &kids wanting to race you. I'll dig out some pics and pop them up.

I like the coupe because the handling (once sorted) will be on par as the M3 but just as easy to hang the rear out and feel/feedback is o. not great but ok. its just as quick as m3, its different and people are interested in it rather than being jealous/wanting to race etc... the boot is fine for stuff and I only need 2 seats :) and I see it as a keeper, if I ever need more seats etc, I'd prob get a 320d for a family run around as I'm quite lucky to have space to store the ///M... just wish it had 2 poster ramps in!!

Interesting read Paul. I bet the sti liked a drink as well at that power?!
      2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Hi Paul yes its me you bought it off such a shame i had to sell it but my loss was your gain! Hi Indy yes i did think that was my old gt. I go on cutters as well and check out the thread on there about the car.

I've got a company car these days but i've got myself a rare E30 which i've done up. Its a 325i sport which was modified by Les Stannard to a 2.7 you can check out a thread on the car here.

http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?n...topic&t=229462

Now thats it done i'm bored so i'm thinking of getting another m powered car in the summer!

Comment

Updated spec - Feb 2013

1999 M Coupe
          150,000 miles
          Oil / Filter and brake fluid changed
          Front re-sprayed by Cotswold BMW whilst in for work.
          Remus Exhaust (cat back)
          H&R Lowering Springs
          ITG Air Filter
          E46 Top Mounts
          Yellow Stuff Pads
          Motul RBF1000 5.1 fluid
          Brake ducting
          Braided brake line
          Falken 452's
          Osram Bulbs
          Sony Stereo HU & Pioneer Speakers
          Black Front Grille's
          Ace man badge refresh just done.

Wanted list :-
          Alloy wheel refurb as wheels are now bubbling
          H&R arbs
          AST coilovers
          Bucket seat
          Harness
          Cage
          Smaller steering wheel
          Last edited by paulm3; 26-02-2013, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Few vids from Bedford Track Day -23/2/13

http://youtu.be/Pg55XHp6-7s

http://youtu.be/ylgh0_TvE5Q

Comment

thanks for the spec paul! be interesting to know your thoughts on track, as your car gets better in terms of the mods and handling/feel!

are you running any spacers?
              Last edited by indy; 26-02-2013, 10:20 PM.

Click here to email me

Comment

Main notice was after cooking brakes at donnington end if last year, was ducting and what a great job it does. No loss if braking all day and no spongey feel or steering wheel shake. A must if your going to track it!

Comment

Working...
                X