My Cosmos Black LHD S50 Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c_w View Post
    Lots of the Z3 parts are made in the USA, think the heater control unit and other bits like tat say made in USA on them.

Is that an S50 pump? As all the original pumps I've seen are brown and made by VDO, of course there could be an updated/alternative part available. I'ts unique to the S50 3.2 engine as it's 5bar, the S54 pump is different again.
    Yeah it's an s50 fuel pump. Now I'm worried they sent me the wrong one :)

Originally posted by JuhaV View Post
    Hi, if you are changing the pump because the fuel meter stopped working then a word of caution (by my own experience).

In my previous Z3 2.8 the sensor "circuit or wiring" board in the pump was cracked and I changed the pump to get the fuel meter working again. Then, in a few weeks time the same happened again ! The sensor was broken again in exatcly the same manner, circuit board carrying the resistance slider was cracked in two halves.

The original reason why this happened was that the fuel tank breather was blocked and when the pump sucked fuel from the tank without any air getting into the tank this made the plastic tank to bend inwards and the rear wall of the tank pushed the float lever in the pump which then cracked the sensor board. After driving a 100 kms when opening the tank a clear sound of air suctioned into the tank could be heard. For shorter journeys this was not so clearly evident.

Fixing the breather and then again a new pump solved the problem.

The plastic tank really does change shape a lot in case of under pressure.

Your reason to change the pump might be completely due to different issue but I just thought that I will share this experience because I still remember being somewhat pissed after paying for two new pumps and by going through the trouble of changing the pump twice.

br, JuhaV
    Thanks for the input! My fuel pump is leaking but the information you provided is very useful
    '99 Z3 ///M Coupe
    '09 997 GT2

Comment

this looks to be the fuel pump part number for the S50 16142228037

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Genuin...item2a22d67126

the S54's have a different part number which looks to fit many different models 16142229672

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
        this looks to be the fuel pump part number for the S50 16142228037

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Genuin...item2a22d67126

the S54's have a different part number which looks to fit many different models 16142229672
        Great, thanks Dave.. My other parts are taking a long time to arrive.. Meanwhile still deciding on the suspension setup.
        '99 Z3 ///M Coupe
        '09 997 GT2

Comment

Decided to do a small DIY replacement today. I received my new throttle cable a few days ago and I decided to install it myself. Read through some threads and I knew it would be straight forward so I decided to go for it. You will need good lighting and the right tools since its a very tight area.

The cable

How everything looked before I started.

Once I got the plastic pieces removed

The main issue with this exercise is releasing the cable from the bulkhead. Once its off, the rest is easy. This is the hard piece to release

I adjusted the new cable to the same tension as the previous one and passed it through. Thats it! I put everything back and wiped everything clean.

The rubber bushing which fits into the accelerator was completely melted so I'll need to replace it, otherwise everything is smooth as silk. My 5 year old depressed the accelerator fully so I could make sure the cable was adjusted correctly.
          '99 Z3 ///M Coupe
          '09 997 GT2

Comment

Small update - received my custom boot struts today.. they look good.. will probably do a DIY install this week.

'99 Z3 ///M Coupe
            '09 997 GT2

Comment

Managed to install the struts in 5 minutes.. easy job..

This is the old strut.. first step is to use a flathead screwdriver to remove the metals clips seen here:

The new struts have a different metal clip design

I removed one strut and replaced it with a new one, then did the other one. One of the new struts is strong enough to hold the trunk open.

Repeat the same procedure on the other side and you're done.

You need a little more umph to close the trunk now, and it opens smoothly, but I feel like the new struts are longer than the old ones so they put some upward pressure on the trunk hinges. Hopefully this will be sorted once they are broken-in.

Also bought the rubber piece which holds the accelerator pedal side of the a accelerator cable. The old one was completely worn out.
              Last edited by MCoupe321; 01-04-2013, 02:53 PM.
              '99 Z3 ///M Coupe
              '09 997 GT2

Comment

Mcoupe..your boot looks rather high for sure! i had this problem when replacing my own with SGS struts which looking at yours are identical...they wont bed in! however i think what is needed in your case is shorter chrome ends! you will find that the ones you have got will simply unscrew and you simply screw on the shorter ones,i got mine replaced free of charge from the supplier....its not a massive issue.

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
                  Mcoupe..your boot looks rather high for sure! i had this problem when replacing my own with SGS struts which looking at yours are identical...they wont bed in! however i think what is needed in your case is shorter chrome ends! you will find that the ones you have got will simply unscrew and you simply screw on the shorter ones,i got mine replaced free of charge from the supplier....its not a massive issue.
                  Thanks for the tip! I'll drop them an email now and look into it..
                  '99 Z3 ///M Coupe
                  '09 997 GT2

Comment

A small update today

Replaced the brake lines with steel braided

Replaced the clutch line as well

Pressure valve was leaking so it was replaced

Vanos seals replaced with the kit from Dr Vanos (no proper pics)

Valve cover gaskets replaced

Leaky shocks to be replaced with KWs soon
                    '99 Z3 ///M Coupe
                    '09 997 GT2

Comment

Shotgun in a McF1... Damn. Just damn! I'd give my right everything for that!

Great looking car, good work :)

Comment

Which clutch hose did you buy?

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
                          Shotgun in a McF1... Damn. Just damn! I'd give my right everything for that!

Great looking car, good work :)
                          It was an amazing experience

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                          Which clutch hose did you buy?
                          I bought it from Turner Motorsport in the US.
                          '99 Z3 ///M Coupe
                          '09 997 GT2

Comment

i spy an E36 in that workshop too!

Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by indy View Post
                              i spy an E36 in that workshop too!
                              Its a beautiful example. Poor guy had it modded and drove it for a couple of days and then crashed it in the rain :( now its back
                              '99 Z3 ///M Coupe
                              '09 997 GT2

Comment

Fuel pump replaced today. Car feels much smoother, might I say even faster. Now I need to think about the blown bilstein shock.
                                '99 Z3 ///M Coupe
                                '09 997 GT2

Comment

Working...
                                X