S50B32 Replacement con rod shells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S50B32 Replacement con rod shells

I am going to have the con rods shells replaced when some other work is being done and was interested to see if anything else should be done at the same time as the oil pan is removed? new bolts will be fitted (not ARP).

Oil pump ?

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
      Oil pump ?

£700ish for a new one so too expensive and not really worth changing as it should be undamaged or even worn.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
        £700ish for a new one so too expensive and not really worth changing as it should be undamaged or even worn.

Comment

Why not ARP bolts?
          General consensus is that they are an upgrade over OEM and worth it as a preventative measure.
          I replaced mine with ARP years ago and would do it again if changing shells.

(I know you like to keep everything OEM Dave, but I don't think they would spot them at concours )

Comment

Is this a big job Dave? I’m ordering a new sump from BMW today, would it be advisable to do this while changing the sump?

Comment

How many miles you have?

I had the pump go at ~115k miles, throwing the oil pressure warning light at idle. It didn't looked really worn, but was producing lower pressure... we also changed the shells at the time, although they were good and were replaced at the time when I have bought the car.

Comment

Originally posted by David z coupe View Post
                Is this a big job Dave? I’m ordering a new sump from BMW today, would it be advisable to do this while changing the sump?
                It is a big job but if replacing the oil pan you are half way there already so made sense to me to also do the shells and bolts. Most people recommend upgrading to ARP bolts.

Comment

Had the vanos replaced today and Steve (mr vanos) advised strongly to replace the bolts and shells while doing the sump. Does anyone have a part number for the parts or a good supplier name?

Comment

Originally posted by David z coupe View Post
                    Had the vanos replaced today and Steve (mr vanos) advised strongly to replace the bolts and shells while doing the sump. Does anyone have a part number for the parts or a good supplier name?
                    Bought all mine from local dealer , you would need to check realoem to confirm your engine uses the same parts numbers but I am sure it will.
                    Most people recommend ARP bolts but haven't looked into suppliers for these.

Bearing shells 11241404791 blue and 11241404008 red

Con rod bolts 11241405890 x12

Comment

Dave, thanks for the info. I’d be interested to hear what people’s opinions are of the standard bolts vs the ARP parts.

Comment

I had to have a engine rebuild on my roadster after the std bolt had stretched on no5 pot allowing the shell to spin. For the rebuild I had a new oil pump and replaced the bolts with ARP. Unfortunately my car has been stood for a while and currently doing a refurb and have not finished running the engine in but I hope this will prevent a further occurrence. Plus a lesson in not bouncing it off the redline in anger. Expensive lesson.

Comment

bottom end shells

How easy, or is it possible, to do this with the engine in situ?
                          Can you remove the sump pan ok?

Comment

Originally posted by DougW View Post
                            How easy, or is it possible, to do this with the engine in situ?
                            Can you remove the sump pan ok?
                            You can do it with the engine in situ but you need to support the engine with an engine support across the strut towers and lower the subframe to allow the sump to be removed.

Comment

Working...
                            X