Bonnet releasing itself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonnet releasing itself?

Slightly odd event today. I had to to drive to Aldershot for the day. Nothing untoward there, parked in the multi storey.

Left to come home hit the A331 and thought there was an optical illusion on the bonnet reflecting the passing scenery as if it were flexing.

Not so noticeable on the M3 until another driver lets me know that it's visibly open to him (thanks Mr White Prius driver!). Pulled onto hardshoulder and sure enough the bonnet catch was in a released state.

No idea how, certainly wasn't doing it this morning and last time i can think it was intentionally opened was its MoT and I've driven it since then. Surprised the sensor for the alarm didn't set it off. Certainly used to on my previous S50.

Have had a quick look, all shuts properly ok and the oil cap etc is still there so not like anything's been nicked for kicks etc.

All a bit spooky. What am I missing?
    ex- 2000 Titanium Silver S50 with AC Schnitzer road suspension, exhaust, rear wing and gear knob
    now 2002 Sapphire Black S54 with black/red interior, S54 Bearing Shell upgrade with ARP Con Rod bolts, Cam shaft bolt upgrade

I would check the latches and re grease them if needed and also the cable tension?

Comment

I have had this happen once or twice (once on the Ring(!)). It has usually happened when I've gone to check under the bonnet, popped it and got distracted!!

I noticed the bonnet on the Ring wafting up but I'd gone a fair few miles and been in 3 figures before I notice. Happended as it was warm, I came in from a previous session with the intention to leave it with the bonnet up idling to cool it off but went back out instead!!

Comment

Thanks chaps. I'm guessing it's just been like that since the MoT. Re: grease. I'm guessing some of that white lithium stuff is the way to go?
        ex- 2000 Titanium Silver S50 with AC Schnitzer road suspension, exhaust, rear wing and gear knob
        now 2002 Sapphire Black S54 with black/red interior, S54 Bearing Shell upgrade with ARP Con Rod bolts, Cam shaft bolt upgrade

Comment

Lubrication!

yadi,
          I have had issues with the bonnet not "staying down" on closing and a liberal spray of the Lithium Grease you mention does the trick. The release mechanism is much smoother now also. I wonder if the bonnet has ever lifted fully on an MC? it is so big I doubt it, but it would be rather scary, and dark in the drivers seat, if it did!
          James

Comment

Do you guys de-grease what's left of the last application before refreshing it?

Comment

Originally posted by 'Yadi View Post
              Do you guys de-grease what's left of the last application before refreshing it?
              The bottom catches come pre greased from BMW with the smallest amount so I would just top up what's already there.

Last edited by Dave P; 11-05-2013, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X