E82 135i 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E82 135i 2008

Thinking of upgrading the daily driver. Looking at one owner FBMWSH coupe manual trans full M/S spec in silver/black. 100kms (60k Miles) NO Sat Nav (good thing I reckon). Needs a new set of tyres the rears are down and all four are yes runflats........the car is bog standard and has not been tampered with. The owner has just traded on a new M2, and this is now surplus to his requirements.

Any comments adverse or otherwise. There is a warranty until Nov 2019 on the car too which is a blessing I guess.

We rarely sell our cars and this would replace our 1989 Pug 309 SR1 which we have had for yes count them 5 years and covered 30000 miles in. It has the best 5 speed C/R gearbox I have ever used, apart perhaps from the ZF DSZ25 fitted to the GT40 we had 30 years ago.(Never drove that on the road tho!) and yes did sell it sob
    Last edited by btz461; 19-07-2018, 10:48 AM. Reason: sp

I have a E91 335i (2009) which has the same engine N54 and I assume the gearbox (manual).

Firstly the bad.....N54 Engine has a few weaknesses, turbo wastegate rattle (mine has started recently at 74K miles), water pump (mine went at 65K), HPFP and injectors, leaking valve gaskets (mine has recently started leaking) and many say that you should have walnut cleaning to remove carbon deposits. The engine itself is very good, lots of forged internals etc, but some of the ancillaries are not up to scratch...... you may use that warranty

Now the good....great engine performance wise and very easily tuned. Mine is 400ish with a few mods and has the BMW performance exhaust which sounds great, like really, really good. It is the best sounding car I have (better than the MC and my 997 Turbo S running a Sharkwerks exhaust).

I have had mine 5 years and just over 30K miles and it has cost me very little to run beyond servicing....... and tyres fronts are fine but I go through rears in about 12-15K miles. In the next couple of years it will cost me a bit if I replace the turbos (12hrs labour) but at the moment they make a bit of noise but pull like a train...... but...... it will be worth every penny. It will do over 32-34 mpg on a run and since I have had it I have averaged around 26, but I do not hang about.

I honestly struggle when it comes down to what to replace it with and there is nothing that I would consider an upgrade for less that 3x it's value.

A large part of that comes down to the engine, so if the rest of the car suits you (size, looks etc) I am sure you will enjoy it

Tell us more about the GT40..... any photos?
    S50 Black, H&R Arbs/ Springs, B8s, Larini Exhaust

Comment

My mrs has one
      Great cars there a missile
      Handle great
      Issues
      Wastegare rattle
      Oil pump
      That’s about it
      Cracking card
      Hers is not remapped but son has
      Done a few. Really rapid then
      [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

Originally posted by maph View Post
        I have a E91 335i (2009) which has the same engine N54 and I assume the gearbox (manual).

Firstly the bad.....N54 Engine has a few weaknesses, turbo wastegate rattle (mine has started recently at 74K miles), water pump (mine went at 65K), HPFP and injectors, leaking valve gaskets (mine has recently started leaking) and many say that you should have walnut cleaning to remove carbon deposits. The engine itself is very good, lots of forged internals etc, but some of the ancillaries are not up to scratch...... you may use that warranty

Now the good....great engine performance wise and very easily tuned. Mine is 400ish with a few mods and has the BMW performance exhaust which sounds great, like really, really good. It is the best sounding car I have (better than the MC and my 997 Turbo S running a Sharkwerks exhaust).

I have had mine 5 years and just over 30K miles and it has cost me very little to run beyond servicing....... and tyres fronts are fine but I go through rears in about 12-15K miles. In the next couple of years it will cost me a bit if I replace the turbos (12hrs labour) but at the moment they make a bit of noise but pull like a train...... but...... it will be worth every penny. It will do over 32-34 mpg on a run and since I have had it I have averaged around 26, but I do not hang about.

I honestly struggle when it comes down to what to replace it with and there is nothing that I would consider an upgrade for less that 3x it's value.

A large part of that comes down to the engine, so if the rest of the car suits you (size, looks etc) I am sure you will enjoy it

Tell us more about the GT40..... any photos?
        Chassis 1023 Allan Mann (Allan's road car on Borranni wheels plus the BRM Racing)- Paddy McNally-Maurice Charles- Malcolm Gartland - the late Cedric Brierly of Littleborough from whom I bought the car around 1980 or may have been later ish. He bought ERA R6B off me and traded this car. A group of us used to race around the inner/outer ring road at Heathrow on Friday nights I was one of them in this car (and other stuff too). Took it to Goodwood and Silverstone, love Silverstone.(96 Club), blew the oil cooler lines and the bottom end, most peculiar feeling coming up thru my bottom oops wheres the oil pressure (slipping and slurping around under the passengers seat)
        Never shunted, still had original fuel bags (and oil lines big mistake for me) Flew to California Dan Gurney AAR gave me a set of Weslake alloy heads he breathed on, we stripped it out in my business in Lexhams Mews Kensington London W8, and gave it the first rebuild. Owned it for about four years, swapped a half share with David and Kate Cottingham (for DB4 GT sold that to the late Victor Gauntlett)) car is now in Germany I believe.Yes have photos. BC (Before computers) Ronnie Spain wrote about it I painted it Ford dark blue/ white stripes was originally an anemic silverish blue.And a ton of stories too.........

Long story short passed on the 135i carry on for a 1M and keep my beloved Pug. Never compromise .....was on runflats just awful. Spend more methinks
        Last edited by btz461; 20-07-2018, 06:45 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

Just here to say that I had a 309 GRi which was basically the same as an SRi but cheaper to insure many years ago. Great short ratio gearbox and quick off the line.

It inspired me into getting a 205Gti with an Mi16 engine with the 1.6 gearbox (same as Gri). It has 195bhp and with 'that' gearbox and lots of other modifications it really is quite brilliant around a track.

Comment

Great info on the GT40, I assume it is this one.....https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/chas...T40P-1023.html

Sounds like you have owned some fantastic cars, I assume the GT40 must be right up there with the best?

This thread has consumed a few hours of my day researching the CAV and Superformance continuation GT40s....... if only I had the garage space and the spare cash

Regards the 1M again it is running the N54 engine so will be a cracker, worth hanging out for. I saw a nice black 16K mile one sell on ebay a few weeks ago for £40.8K, looked cheap given the current asking prices on them.
            S50 Black, H&R Arbs/ Springs, B8s, Larini Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by maph View Post
              Great info on the GT40, I assume it is this one.....https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/chas...T40P-1023.html

Sounds like you have owned some fantastic cars, I assume the GT40 must be right up there with the best?

This thread has consumed a few hours of my day researching the CAV and Superformance continuation GT40s....... if only I had the garage space and the spare cash

Regards the 1M again it is running the N54 engine so will be a cracker, worth hanging out for. I saw a nice black 16K mile one sell on ebay a few weeks ago for £40.8K, looked cheap given the current asking prices on them.
              Yes that's the car. Went to Belgium then to Germany. Hard to drive and the drivers in the day really must have worked. No such as a cool suit back then when in the office.
              I'll figure out how to post up photos again and try and keep things moving along.
              Really just a sad old man do love my Pug (no brakes well the travel leaves a lot to be desired but quick and pointy) Squeaks everywhere especially on hot days
              Our business Langland Motor Co rose out of DCM the TR Centre 21 Lexham Mews Kensington London W8 6JW.

Comment

Originally posted by btz461 View Post
                Yes that's the car. Went to Belgium then to Germany. Hard to drive and the drivers in the day really must have worked. No such as a cool suit back then when in the office.
                I'll figure out how to post up photos again and try and keep things moving along.
                Really just a sad old man do love my Pug (no brakes well the travel leaves a lot to be desired but quick and pointy) Squeaks everywhere especially on hot days
                Our business Langland Motor Co rose out of DCM the TR Centre 21 Lexham Mews Kensington London W8 6JW.

On the hunt for a 1M got distracted with the 135i never compromise....I think Don the Trump says that a fair bit..........

Comment

Originally posted by Jon_Bmw View Post
                  Just here to say that I had a 309 GRi which was basically the same as an SRi but cheaper to insure many years ago. Great short ratio gearbox and quick off the line.

It inspired me into getting a 205Gti with an Mi16 engine with the 1.6 gearbox (same as Gri). It has 195bhp and with 'that' gearbox and lots of other modifications it really is quite brilliant around a track.

Here she is in all the glory phew figgered it out bit of a mish.........
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X