VANOS & alarm....again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VANOS & alarm....again

Well I've been complaining to BMW about the alarm playing up and the engine being noisy...with VANOS like symptoms and twice the've checked it and said nothing wrong with either. Finally yesterday it went in for the THIRD time and guess what? The alarm is now showing 12 fault codes! AND the vanos needs replacing! :roll:

I do not have much faith in BMW at the moment. And in the 6 months I've had the car I've now had over £3500 of warranty work done!

The thing I find most frustrating is that Woodmeister (previous owner) had it done at 35k and it's only just done 55k. Isn't it about time BMW really address this issue? OR gave us all S54 replacements :wink: ?

And guess what. I am supposed to be collecting the car tonight, and they've just phoned me to say it's not ready. So I pressure them into a reason, and it turns out they haven't even started to work on it!

Comment

what a joke, thats the problem they dont care if they finish the car, so they piss off to lunch or have another cup of tea and just say we can do it tomorrow!
      i hate stealers!

Comment

Well one plus about the warranty is you get a car - which is good as theyve had my Coupe since 9am Monday and I've yet to have word when I'll be getting it back.

Comment

Originally posted by Broccers
          Well one plus about the warranty is you get a car - which is good as theyve had my Coupe since 9am Monday and I've yet to have word when I'll be getting it back.
          might want to check if they have started!
          they might of forgoten it!

Comment

well I didn't get a car.....cos they haven't one available until JUNE. She said I could collect it and wait until june so I could have car cover. However I know that if the VANOS went bang in the mean time they probably wouldn't cover it under the warranty because it would have been my decision for them not to do the work, after they had identified the problem.

In a nutshell, I love BMW cars but hate the dealerships and the people that alledgedly work there.

Comment

Originally posted by dasherdiablo1
              In a nutshell, I love BMW cars but hate the dealerships and the people that alledgedly work there.
              The problem all lies in the fact that British people, in general, are all too ready to part with their money for something that they want and don't demand quality service to go with their purchases. Those of us who expect a little more effort on behalf of those selling us stuff are let down by the general apathy of the masses. Apart from complain in a constructively critical way when you receive poor service, there is little that you can do about it, because people like us are in a minority, even as BMW customers. :cry: :cry: :cry:
              /// Exdos ///
              "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Any advice following the above comments about how I handle an Inspection II that is dues in the next couple of weeks?

I think the Vanos is in need of checking but am no expert. It often makes a a consistent, faint ticking sound when running at idle.

I don't want the same problem dasherdiablo had with having to take it in several times especially as I'm at 55K with the waranty renewal issues that you all know about.

your thoughts would be appreciated

James
                98S Estoril

Comment

Stinks mate, I feel for you. But it really is down to which stealers you choose. I've switched from Halliwell Jones to Williams in Bolton. It really is a world of difference. I had mild blistering on my alloys, now I'm awaiting 4 brand new ones under warranty, without any hastle.

Vote with your feet and find a good one.
                  Shunt
                  Ex Z3MC 2000
                  Ex Z4MC 2007
                  Aston V8V
                  M135i

Comment

I've got a 2002 S54 with just 24k miles on the clock which I've owned from 15months old which I will keep forever. I decided not to bother with the EW when the car became 3years old. It has cost me just one oil change in the last 12 months, so I've banked £720 I've saved on EW.

Today, I've just booked the MC into a local Indi for the brake fluid change and I feel that I've been welcomed with open arms. I was offered a loan car although the job will only take a short time to do. I said I don't mind waiting whilst they do the job, so they've booked me in for the first job of the day so that I am not kept hanging about. I tested the water with this Indi earlier this year when I put the car in for its MOT and the guy remebered my car :!:

I honestly don't know why most of you guys bother with the BMW stealerships. Far better to be treated as a big fish in a little pool, especially by an Indi who does not sell cars, because their business is all about service not sales.
                    /// Exdos ///
                    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by exdos
                      I honestly don't know why most of you guys bother with the BMW stealerships. Far better to be treated as a big fish in a little pool, especially by an Indi who does not sell cars, because their business is all about service not sales.
                      been saying this for ages! its not just the warrenty cost, but double cost servicing!

with all this stuff with the website and everyone saying we should do this and that!
                      making an approved list of indi's, maybe ones that people have used for ages like mine or just looking through the yellow pages in your area and sending the details to someone who can update the list!

then we can all do reviews on them for every visit! build a really good list for everyone to use!

Comment

I have got to now my Indi quite well over the last years and have sent a lot of business his way. Last time I went to have the throttle cable changed he didn't charge me 8)

Comment

Still not ready!
                          They finally gave me a car yesterday....a Mini Cooper Park Lane with the SMG transmission. Not exactly what I was hoping for but once I got familiar with the gear change, it is quite a fun little car....and surprisingly quick on the twisties. Straight line isn't great but it's so quick to change through the box that the big roundabouts are a blast. On the negative side though, you really can notice the computer thinking about whether or not it would be good to for the engine when you try to drop a gear...or two :wink:

Comment

Working...
                          X