Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new vanos

heyy

ok my vanos makes a rumbling sound when the revs decrese. been told this is the vanos by a few garages. so i called bmw and its a set cost of £2500. Its 1500 plus vat, which is 1800 roughly just to buy. Ive read some threads on here saying its about 1200 for a new vanos. so can anyone tell me if they have had it done, where and how much it cost them????

cheers kieran
    Last edited by kie1978uk; 27-01-2008, 01:01 PM.

dammm

no one had the vanos replaced then?

Comment

Originally posted by kie1978uk View Post
      dammm

KIE, see attached from EBAY

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Orig...sid=p1638.m122
      Z3M Estoril blue s50 ...

Also have Toyota Supra Twin Turbo Mk IV UK Car

Previously Z3M s50 coupe silver black leather, HIDS, schnitzer pedals, cruise control....2 replacement engines, vanos exploded and engine flooded and written off...

Comment

Keiran, what oil is in your MC? Is it Castrol TWS 10w-60 or Castrol Edge 10w-60 specifically for BMW M's?

I'm sure I've read here before that people have had a noise VANOS when they used a different oil, but the noises stopped when they replaced the oil with the proper BMW spec above. It's something cheap to try before spending thousands on a new VANOS.

Comment

dam thats a cheap vanos on ebay, saving about £850, may go for that if these other option are no good!

Im not sure what oil is in there dave, the garage sorted all that in the service. I will find out and get it replaced, also been told there is a vanos filter, which im going to change. ive noticed when its cold it doesnt seem to make that rumble. fingers crossed. thanks

kie

Comment

Originally posted by kie1978uk View Post
            dammm

KIE, see attached from EBAY

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Orig...sid=p1638.m122
            Z3M Estoril blue s50 ...

Also have Toyota Supra Twin Turbo Mk IV UK Car

Previously Z3M s50 coupe silver black leather, HIDS, schnitzer pedals, cruise control....2 replacement engines, vanos exploded and engine flooded and written off...

Comment

I never noticed any noise from mine in 25,000 miles then one day it stopped going on cam - I'd wait until it fails if I were you.

Comment

My VANOS just went (oil pouring out at the rate of about 4 litres per 10 miles). Thankfully I'm still in extended warranty. I had a new unit plus airbag control unit and speedo sender sorted all in one go. Total cost £2066.18 (or £250 excess plus £1050 per year to me!).

Anyway I managed to get a photocopy of the warranty invoice and the VANOS unit comes in at £1755.14
                2000 Dakar Yellow

Comment

Originally posted by daviddunn View Post
                  Total cost £2066.18 (or £250 excess plus £1050 per year to me!)
                  Either I am being thick, which is not unheard of, or that does note compute.
                  Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

Originally posted by coupe fan View Post
                    Either I am being thick, which is not unheard of, or that does note compute.

What he is saying is that the bill he received justifies his spend on the bmw warranty of £1050 and then the £250 excess payment per claim.

David, the issue you had would have been the Vanos solenoid unit shearing its bolts. This could have been mitigated by replacing the vanos bolts periodically.

The vibration felt by the units when the car is running is quite apparant and this causes these to come loose, fracture and even snap, causing the solenoid unit to come apart from the front of the block - oil spill city!

One obvious question, which part of the Vanos was replaced? And judging from your description of the oil loss per miles, you did this while driving? Did this lunch the vanos unit(running with limited oil?)

Thanks

Comment

The VANOS itself would be ordinarily ok without oil pressure (it would just build back up again and any remaing would keep it lubricated); I'd be more worred about the engine siezing with that kind of oil loss though.

Comment

It must have happened reasonably quickly as I did not notice anything until the low oil light came on. I limped about 500m to work and then topped up the oil to drive 10 miles (thankfully cheap stuff as I didn't fancy wasting £60 and knew an oil change would be happinging the same day). I had recently had an oil service and decided to return to the garage (under the impression they had done something wrong). At this stage the VANOS loosed further and the oil fountains began. My Indi told me this was VANOS (unfortunately I am not mechanically minded and even reading through this site on a daily basis did not recognise it). BMW recovery picked me up (unbelievably helpful).

The ironic thing was I had a list in my car of warranty items which needed doing as I was indending to book it in that very week (top of the list was noisy VANOS). The major problem was the garage who informed me that I would have to pay £250 to the tow-in problem and another £250 for the list items. Thankfully the second, more helpful service agent saw sense and charged me just once.

The final part of the saga was a loose handbrake (wobbly) and erratic idling and stalling with the car. The latter got so bad I phone BMW and refused to drive it back to the garage. Once again BMW rescue turned up and 2 minutes later sorted the 'lumpy engine' by plugging in the VANOS lead which either not connected or (more likely I'm told) worked loose!
                        2000 Dakar Yellow

Comment

Vanos

Ive recently had a Vanos problem with mine, but it seems to be the reverse problem to yours..!! When i start the car in the morning it really sounds rough when idling..!! I took it to BM Tech in Manchester and they just said it was a vanos issue which they dont touch.... The problem seems to be intermittent though..!! It is here for a week and then dissapears..... Can anyone help me and give me some advice..??

Comment

well ive been fishing for advice and im not going to have the vanos replaced. Ive been told that the noise is not bad at all and i should wait till it gets really loud, then do it. i'll get it done on my warranty(up to £1000/claim) so should only cost about £1300. Did take it the garage for a vanos filter, oil & filter change (mobil 1), and also an oil leak(some seal above the bell housing blahh blahh lol), which kindly pissed all over my new drive anyway pick it up tommorow.....sweet!

Comment

ok not been on for a few weeks. I picked my car up, it had an oil, filter, vanos filter changed and an oil leak repaired. They used mobil 1 fully synthetic, dont have a clue what the previous garage used? Anyway this has made a BIG difference, the vanos rumble has virtually gone! Also if anyone read my post about my clutch kinda slipping, well the mechanic told my that the leaking oil my have been seeping on to the clutch plates, resulting in slipage! I havent had chance to really boot it yet so not sure if theres any truth in that. Total cost just under £200

Comment

Working...
                              X