Stereo head unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo head unit

My 'new' car has the original head unit with cassette slot. I have bought the more modern version with CD slot (think it's a CD43) - how easy are they to change over? Had a look around but couldn't find a thread on removing the unit.

Should be a straight swap either via the BMW block or using a cheap BMW to ISO adapter off ebay if the radio has iso connectors at the back. If its from a BMW and not a rover unit badged as BMW you should not need the adaptor.
    VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Hi

in principle these are quite easy to upgrade. Depending on the start model you will have to have either little hex key or a set of wires (thin hex keys worked for me as well) for removing the old unit.

The upgrade CD unit, as per Dave's post here: http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16094, is a straightforward plug and play - using exact the same BMW standard connector. It is also secured in place by a set of two hex screws (behind little flaps on each side).

The Becker unit - you would need BMW-to-ISO adapter - which should be available at places like Halfords (I guess) or anything dealing with car hi-fi. Also straightforward plug and play thing. For removing Becker unit you will require a set of dedicated removal keys readily available at ebay.

Mind you - Becker units (both Traffic Pro shown as well as newer Indianapolis, offered for e46) will not work with standard BMW CD Changer - these require dedicated Becker changer.

I have upgraded to both CD43 and Becker Traffic Pro.

Both are very good sound units - way better than any other factory units installed in E36s (perhaps with the exception of BMW professional unit, as I have never tested it, being a Tape-deck only).

Please note the Business CD came in two versions - the one shown as upgrade in Dave's post (with the two separate LCDs) made by Blaupunkt, and the one looking exactly the same as the standard tape deck shown there, bar for the tape being replaced by CD - manufactured by Phillips. Please bear in mind the Blaupunkt device delivers significantly better sound quality on all levels.

Becker unit is a tad better to the Blaupunkt unit - mainly in the upper levels transparency. Becker runs also a better/easier set of outputs for connecting subwoofer, external amplifiers etc.

None of these will read MP3 (perhaps Indianapolis will, as it is a newer thing, sporting DVD/CD drive instead of plain CD).

As far as I know all Becker units can run external AUX and/or iPhone adaptor for using your MP3 source.

I also vaguely remember CD43 can be equipped with AUX thing.

I currently run Becker Traffic Pro in my ZM and CD43 in my e36 and I would not look into any aftermarket head unit as a sound source.

Best,
      Pawel
      Last edited by Pawel; 19-09-2013, 03:18 PM.
      Best Regards,

Pawel

Comment

Thanks - the unit I have bought is the Blaupunkt one, so hopefully will be OK. I don't have a CD changer so am hoping to fit an ipod adapter - any idea which is best?

Comment

Originally posted by Pawel View Post
          Hi

in principle these are quite easy to upgrade. Depending on the start model you will have to have either little hex key or a set of wires (thin hex keys worked for me as well) for removing the old unit.

The upgrade CD uniit, as per Dave's post here: http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16094, is a straightforward plug and play - using exact the same BMW standard connector. It is also secured in place by a set of two hex screws (behind little flaps on each side).

The Becker unit - you would need BMW-to-ISO adapter - which should be available at places like Halfords (I guess) or anything dealing with car hi-fi. Also straightforward plug and play thing. For removing Becker unit you will require a set of dedicated removal keys readily available at ebay.

Mind you - Becker units (both Traffic Pro shown as well as newer Indianapolis, offered for e46) will not work with standard BMW CD Changer - these require dedicated Becker changer.

I have upgraded to both CD43 and Becker Traffic Pro.

Both are very good sound units - way better than any other factory units installed in E36s (perhaps with the exception of BMW professional unit, as I have never tested it, being a Tape-deck only).

Please note the Business CD came in two versions - the one shown as upgrade in Dave's post (with the two separete LCDs) made by Blaupunkt, and the one looking exactly the same as the standard tape deck shown there, bar for the tape being replaced by CD - manufactured by Phillips. Pleas bear in mind the Blaupunkt device delivers significantly better sound quality on all levels.

Becker unit is a tad better to the Blaupunkt unit - mainly in the upper levels transparency. Becker runs also a better/easir set of outputs for connecting subwoofer, external amplifiers etc.

None of these will read MP3 (perhaps Indianapolis will, as it is a newer thing, sporting DVD/CD drive instead of plain CD).

As far as I know all Becker units can run external AUX and/or iPhone adaptor for using your MP3 source.

I also vaguely remember CD43 can be equipped with AUX thing.

I currently run Becker Traffic Pro in my ZM and CD43 in my e36 and I would not look into any aftermarket head unit as a sound source.

Best,
          Pawel

Good info Pawel

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
            Good info Pawel
            Thanks Dave

Originally posted by rsk289 View Post
            Thanks - the unit I have bought is the Blaupunkt one, so hopefully will be OK. I don't have a CD changer so am hoping to fit an ipod adapter - any idea which is best?
            As I mentioned - I have no experience with any, but these are readily available at e-bay. I just did "bmw ipod adapter" search and got a number of results - eg. here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-BUSINE...item4176faeb0c

Please note that I have no connection to the seller, neither, in fact, any experience with using these adaptors and the link above is just for illustrative purpose that such solutions are readily provided.

Personally I use a very straightforward earphones jack-cassette adapter, but I'm not using iPhone for playing music - just audiobooks - tales and stories when travelling with children (in the family car I have tape deck radio with CD Changer in the trunk).

Another solution is FM transmitter. These do provide acceptable sound quality for audiobooks, but again, for music in car I use old fashion CDs or simply listen to the radio.
            Best Regards,

Pawel

Comment

Originally posted by Pawel View Post
              Thanks Dave

As I mentioned - I have no experience with any, but these are readily available at e-bay. I just did "bmw ipod adapter" search and got a number of results - eg. here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-BUSINE...item4176faeb0c

Please note that I have no connection to the seller, neither, in fact, any experience with using these adaptors and the link above is just for illustrative purpose that such solutions are readily provided.

Personally I use a very straightforward earphones jack-cassette adapter, but I'm not using iPhone for playing music - just audiobooks - tales and stories when travelling with children (in the family car I have tape deck radio with CD Changer in the trunk).

Another solution is FM transmitter. These do provide acceptable sound quality for audiobooks, but again, for music in car I use old fashion CDs or simply listen to the radio.
              I can vouch for the earphones jack-cassette adapter being surprisingly great in terms of audio quality for music. I don't notice any degradation at all. I just use this with my iPhone into the M Coupe's standard Business RDS tape unit and I have the HK sound system too. If you want audio quality, this is a cheap and much better sounding solution than an FM transmitter. The cassette adapter I use is this one by Griffin:
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-Univ...dp/B004EPYPOO/

CB
              98 S50 Cosmos Black/Black interior (previously 98 S50 Estoril Blue/2 tone blue interior)
              My band’s debut album Killer Diller by Drinking Bird Experiment is available on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon, Google Play and all the usual other digital outlets.
              http://bit.ly/dbespotify
              http://bit.ly/dbeitunes
              http://bit.ly/dbeamazon
              http://bit.ly/dbegoogle

Comment

Working...
              X