Replacing Rear brake shoes and cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Rear brake shoes and cables

Is replacing the rear brake shoes (not pads) a DIY job? I cant find any details on the forum regarding replacing

Done that a few years ago and cannot remember that there would be anything very special or difficult to it.

This might help : http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm

Not a M-model but in principle very similar arrangement.

Getting the drum/disc off usually requires to ease off the adjustment of the shoes. It helps if you have an idea how to make that adjustment through the small holes available in the drum.

br, Juha
    The older I get, the faster I was ...
    BMW HP2 Sport
    ex- BMW Z3 M Coupe - Cosmosschwartz Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by JuhaV View Post
      Done that a few years ago and cannot remember that there would be anything very special or difficult to it.

This might help : http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm

Not a M-model but in principle very similar arrangement.

Getting the drum/disc off usually requires to ease off the adjustment of the shoes. It helps if you have an idea how to make that adjustment through the small holes available in the drum.

br, Juha
      Looks do-able, I will order the parts and give it a go

Comment

did mine a few weeks ago as one of the retaining pegs and spring cept falling out.this can be due to the slot they fit hrough rusting or the peg rounding of .i think also if you have the larger csl discs and brembo callipers the inside diameter is 3mm bigger and the shoes have more roking movement and can exagerate the problem i had.since replacing i have had no problems,they did have to be adjusted out quite a bit .

Comment

Originally posted by jess robson View Post
          did mine a few weeks ago as one of the retaining pegs and spring cept falling out.this can be due to the slot they fit hrough rusting or the peg rounding of .i think also if you have the larger csl discs and brembo callipers the inside diameter is 3mm bigger and the shoes have more roking movement and can exagerate the problem i had.since replacing i have had no problems,they did have to be adjusted out quite a bit .
          Did you have to replace the plates (?) that the pegs go into, the part that has rusted?
          Last edited by Dave P; 02-03-2017, 10:33 AM.
          2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by jess robson View Post
            I have stripped one side down today and the slots in the back plates (what's left of them) are fine but the shoes are pretty bad. I will take some pictures as I refit the new parts. I think you would need to remove the hub to replace the back plates?

Comment

Surprised they are worn, as they generally don't wear since it's only for the handbrake to lock the wheel when it's stationary and thus wouldn't normally wear like a drum brake would.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                Surprised they are worn, as they generally don't wear since it's only for the handbrake to lock the wheel when it's stationary and thus wouldn't normally wear like a drum brake would.
                I was surprised how bad they are, I will take a picture of them and post up later this week

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                  I have stripped one side down today and the slots in the back plates (what's left of them) are fine but the shoes are pretty bad. I will take some pictures as I refit the new parts. I think you would need to remove the hub to replace the back plates?
                  Ideally, yes. However, when you're used to replacing wheel bearings on an assembled trailing arm__where the backplate has not been removed__and someone brings you a new trailing arm to install (and talks to you while you're working...) and you pull the hub/bearing in and forget to fit the backplate first...

In the scenario recounted above, I picked the narrowest section of the backplate and cut through it with snips, wound it around the hub, and welded it back together. Not my best hour perhaps, but removing the hub would've trashed an $80.00 USD bearing, and I didn't have another one on hand.

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                  The owners manual, at least with the cars sold in the US, recommends, and I quote "To avoid corrosion, apply the handbrake lightly from time to time when coasting to a standstill (at a traffic signal for instance) when it is safe to do so".

If the plastic sheath surrounding the cable has any cuts in it, moisture will get in and corrode the spiral-wound casing and steel cable. When the handbrake is activated, corrosion will prevent the cable from slackening off fully, leaving the shoes to drag in their "drum" and overheating, leading to their disintegration.

New cables

New shoes and hardware kit

For those of you that noticed the axlenuts weren't crimped ;)

Randy Forbes
                  Sports Cars Plus, LLC
                  Parrish, Florida, USA
                  http://spcarsplus.com/piwigo/

Comment

Thanks Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                      I was surprised how bad they are, I will take a picture of them and post up later this week
                      Need to cut down on the handbrake turns Dave!
                      S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Disc removed showing shoes and cut down backplate

Comment

Slightly past their best old shoes from drivers side with new as comparison

Last edited by Dave P; 24-05-2016, 07:59 PM.

Comment

New shoes/adjusters/fitting kit (shoes came with instructions!)

Comment

I am going to replace the handbrake cables at the same time has anyone done this if so any tips?

Comment

Working...
                              X