E39 m5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E39 m5

Ok I know it's not coupe related so please no slating, my M car obsession is branching out and I'm thinking of an E39 M5 to keep the coupe company. Anyone have/had one or any well informed opinions on these?
    These cars are as rare as our coupes now and must start heading north in price soon? Plus a proper old school N/A V8 with 400bhp must be able to put a grin on yer face, especially for £8000. (I remember when there were a handful of coupes at this price point 3 years ago!)

Thanks in advance

I have one of these, in Le Mans Blue on a 2003 so one of the last ones.
    Had always wanted one from when I first started seeing them on the roads in 99 but only been able to afford one in the last few years and must say it is one of the best purchases I have made when it comes to cars in my opinion.

I have had the e46 M3, X5M and a 2010 GTR and none of them come close to the E39 M5 again its only my opinion and I am no mechanic or expert... just someone who enjoys driving cars. The grin factor is probably not the same as having a Z3MC but not far off I know that my other half asked me to stop grinning on the drive back from picking the car up as she said I must look retarded to other drivers lmao.

I have purchased mine to use as a daily driver one week each month as otherwise I will never get to use the car, as I currently do around 50,000 miles per year... had it out 2 weeks ago and did around 1500 miles in the week which I can only describe as awesome.. people stare at the car every time you park up as your right its starting to become a rare sight. Although saying that my friends think it looks like I can't afford a new M5

I paid quite a bit for mine but then its only got 65000 on the clock and has been looked after by the previous owners pretty well as it had a warranty which I chose to not renew as the cost was £2800 for the year which as someone pointed out to me is far too much and better to put away £100 a month into a M5 account to cover repairs.

I found that looking around the £10k mark got you better examples of the car however again I was looking at it from a buy and drive immediately angle and if your more hands on and happy to tidy up the car then £8k should get you a decent example.

2 tone leather isn't nice IMO but then thats exactly what I will get when I finally find a MC but I do think that somehow the 2 tone looks better in the MC than the M5. Ideal interior would be Heritage but again some owners will tell you the Heritage leather wears much quicker.

2001 onwards seem to have less VANOS issues as these were revised but again these are mechanical and some 2001 onwards cars have started suffering VANOS problems from what I read, and overtime I mention VANOS to a Indy they give me that look to say its not the end of the world if it does require looking into!!

Most of the cars I looked at (19 to be precise) had sat nav etc , but these are pretty useless most will tell you but then again the nav was just as useless back in 2003. I find the older manufacturer sat navs are all pretty dated and limited but then again come time to sell not having one is another reason for potential buyers to knock the car so try and buy one with the wide screen sat nav.

Personally I love the Imola red but finding one in great condition is rare.

Overall its a pleasure to hit sports button when some kid in a Astra with go faster stripes wants to wind you up on the M4

Comment

Working...
    X