Mr Vanos Darlington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Vanos Darlington

All, been out the country for a while working but heading back up north I noted a White van for a company called Mr Vanos that does vanos repairs and refurb.

Had a quick look at the website and all the info is there. I havent a clue whether they are good are bad but could be an option for people. They are located in Darlington.

Back away to Zurich next Week for another couple of months.
    Z3M Estoril blue s50 ...

Also have Toyota Supra Twin Turbo Mk IV UK Car

Previously Z3M s50 coupe silver black leather, HIDS, schnitzer pedals, cruise control....2 replacement engines, vanos exploded and engine flooded and written off...

look here mate

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10534

well known by now, surprised you havent heard of him

Click here to email me

Comment

Apologies Indy spent most of the last year or so away out the country on business and only dip in and out of the boards. I had only remembered Dr Vanos in the states.

Ps.. I see where back to spoliers again - I agree with John caveat emptor
      Z3M Estoril blue s50 ...

Also have Toyota Supra Twin Turbo Mk IV UK Car

Previously Z3M s50 coupe silver black leather, HIDS, schnitzer pedals, cruise control....2 replacement engines, vanos exploded and engine flooded and written off...

Comment

Originally posted by markolambo View Post
        Apologies Indy spent most of the last year or so away out the country on business and only dip in and out of the boards. I had only remembered Dr Vanos in the states.

Ps.. I see where back to spoliers again - I agree with John caveat emptor
        no need to apologise!
        i posted that thread ages ago, surprised no one replied to it with good or bad comments

mr vanos provides a good service, well worth the dosh if your vanos is completely fucked

and the spoilers thing i think i missed the original one (before my time) but think it would be a good thing for members if the whole thing kicks off well

Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by indy View Post
          no need to apologise!
          i posted that thread ages ago, surprised no one replied to it with good or bad comments

mr vanos provides a good service, well worth the dosh if your vanos is completely fucked

and the spoilers thing i think i missed the original one (before my time) but think it would be a good thing for members if the whole thing kicks off well
          I don't think anyone remember's 'the original one' Indy LOL

I suspect folk were talking about fabricating ACS replicas and not delivering them when dinosaurs were still roaming the earth. Our friend Ben just took it to an extreme with the pyrotechnics display - I think there's still an active lynch mob after him in the US! :-)

Comment

I remember the ben fiasco and I think marcolambo does too
            Iirc he got his fingers burnt. So to speak
            [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

I want to prevent any bolt shear problems, so thought I'd replace all the high tensile bolts, and the Vanos filter. I found this page, but don't want to mess around with the seals really: in my experience this often causes more harm than good!

If I do the bolts one at a time, I shouldn't need to change the seals, right?

On the other hand, does anyone think it's important to do seals at the same time as the bolts?

Option 1:
              http://www.mrvanos.com/E36-M3-Evo--Z...1848237%29.htm

The other options appear to be this kit:

Option2:
              http://www.iridiumengineering.co.uk/vanose36.htm

OR buying the bolts from BMW, a la this page:

Option 3:
              http://mukerji.co.uk/category/vanos/

Inspection II: (~£10.00)
              07.11.9.900.677 x8 (bolts)
              11.36.1.401.973 x1 (filter screw)
              07.11.9.963.073 x1 (sealing washer)

Any views on which is best? I'd much prefer Option 3, from an effort and cost perspective, but am prepared to do whatever it takes to make my M happy. :)

Background: Vanos unit was fitted brand new, by a BMW main dealer, in May 2010. Last time I drove it, it showed no signs of damage, so this is purely precautionary.

Thanks, Ollie
              Last edited by breezer; 29-06-2011, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Ask 5 people and you'll get 5 different answers, but IMO the vanos thing is well overblown (pardon the pun...) anyway. If you had a new unit fitted in 2010 it will have the upgraded bolts (presumably) and should see out the life of the car. The filter is about £10 and I change it at every service.

Comment

Cool, thanks - it's good to hear that it's not something I should lose sleep over.

I don't know what bolts were fitted (I only bought the car in Feb this year) but I assume it was whatever BMW fit as standard.

Comment

Originally posted by breezer View Post
                    Cool, thanks - it's good to hear that it's not something I should lose sleep over.

I don't know what bolts were fitted (I only bought the car in Feb this year) but I assume it was whatever BMW fit as standard.
                    you could also try this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/260784524495

i never used him, so no feedback from me, but just another option!

Click here to email me

Comment

I had been wondrin about my own Vanos for a period of time and i had a slight growl too! so it was in need of attention! called Steve at Mr Vanos he popped along replaced the unit with uprated seals,bolts,etc,i also had the shimms on the rockers checked as the cover was off.

Result was £700+ lighter along with no worries about my Vanos and certanly a lot quieter! car performs better performance wise too due to the exhaust side of the Vanos not working correctly,cant recomend this chap enough.

Replacing the filter or even cleaning the old one is to be recomended as there only has to be a small amount of swarf to hinder the vanos.

Comment

Originally posted by indy View Post
                        you could also try this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/260784524495

i never used him, so no feedback from me, but just another option!
                        Thanks Indy; on the basis he's an unknown, I plumped for just buying from Murketts (there's one 10 mins from my parents' house) who will supply me with the 8 bolts, filter and washer for £22. Should last a year or so given how few miles I do.

That + washing = my weekend job sorted then!

Comment

Mr Vanos

Just had steve do my growling noisy vanos and check the shims. The timing was out slightly so i'm glad I had it done. Sounds beautiful now and runs smoother.
                          Regards David.
                          BMW 335d 2008 soon to be chipped cause I got spanked by the same car on the motorway. 2000w reg zm3 Estoril.

Comment

Had Steve travel all the way to Glasgow today to replace the Vanos unit on the coupe. Really nice guy and very knowledgable on all things BMW. The car is now running like dream, highly recommended.

Comment

Working...
                            X