Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery drain issues?

Hi all,

has anyone ever experienced any particular battery drain issues on the MC when left for several weeks?

I ask as the car hasn't been used much of late and the last time (2/3 weeks ago) the battery was flat. Fully charged it up on the CTEK and when I went to use it this morning, its dead as a Do-Do again.

I just wondered if anyone knew of any specific issues or whether its a simple 'get a new battery'...(which happens to only be a couple of year old Bosch that came with a 5-year warranty so should be an easy return to Euro Car Parts)?

Cheers
    Ian
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Hi Ian,

I'd just get the battery changed. Mine (BMW supplied) lasts for weeks without any issues.

Ian
    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

the massive majority of flat battery issues I have encountered have been as a result of something draining the battery, rather than a weak battery. A very simply test is to set up a multimeter in series with the battery, lock the car and observe the current drain. If it's more than about 50mA then a new battery wont make one iota of difference.

I had one this weekend on an E34 M5 and it turned out to be the wiper pressure control module - something I didn't even know existed (!)

Comment

Originally posted by MattH3764 View Post
        the massive majority of flat battery issues I have encountered have been as a result of something draining the battery, rather than a weak battery. A very simply test is to set up a multimeter in series with the battery, lock the car and observe the current drain. If it's more than about 50mA then a new battery wont make one iota of difference.

I had one this weekend on an E34 M5 and it turned out to be the wiper pressure control module - something I didn't even know existed (!)

best to check before replacing with another battery

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
          Hi all,

has anyone ever experienced any particular battery drain issues on the MC when left for several weeks?

I ask as the car hasn't been used much of late and the last time (2/3 weeks ago) the battery was flat. Fully charged it up on the CTEK and when I went to use it this morning, its dead as a Do-Do again.

I just wondered if anyone knew of any specific issues or whether its a simple 'get a new battery'...(which happens to only be a couple of year old Bosch that came with a 5-year warranty so should be an easy return to Euro Car Parts)?

Cheers
          Ian
          Hi Ian, same thing happened with mine last year after leaving it for several weeks. I got the battery checked first as Dave pointed out, and it was fkd!
          New one and problem sorted..
          Pete.
          2000 BMW Z3M COUPE.
          2006 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo.
          07 Volvo V70 D5
          1972 Suzuki Gt750J.
          1972 Suzuki Gt550J.

Some of my old cars.........http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/gman69/library/CARS

Comment

mine wouldnt start this weekend after being left for a few weeks,i charged battery over night and has been fine as it should for only being a year old.i was surprised that on inspection of battery that there were two i.d stickers ,one on top of the other. the top one reading 12v 70ah which i believe is correct and the one hidden underneath reading 45ah.i have a receipt for £70 so should be a halfe decent one.is there a way to check the ah as i suspect i could have been conned,also the fit in boot is small and i have 50mm foam to make up length.

Comment

At the risk of flogging a dead horse a brand new battery will always last slightly longer if your car has a drain issue, and if the car is in regular use you may never see a flat battery. Look at the numbers:

- If your drain is as it should be (circa 50mA) then a 70Ah battery would last 1400 hours. In practice probably 4 weeks or so before the voltage is too low to start the engine.

- If you had the drain I had on my M5 (300mA) then a 70Ah battery would last 230ish hours. It might last 4-5 days before voltage too low for starting.

So a brand new battery, and car being used every day or two would mask a 300mA drain. And the drain might be indicative of broader issues, and would be more likely to get worse rather than better with time.....

So in this case the cure is better than prevention..... get your multimeter out. You can find the drain by pulling fuses until it drops. Diagnosis is a much better (and cheaper) strategy than throwing parts at the problem - not that we haven't all tried the latter.....

Comment

Some interesting viewpoints!

Since the battery is still under warranty, I took it back yesterday and fitted the new one they gave me (it was a Bosch S5). Car has been fine today so unless I have the issue occur again soon, I'll leave the multimeter in the garage (well until I try and fix the drivers door window anyway!)

Cheers
                2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Since the battery is still under warranty, I took it back yesterday and fitted the new one they gave me (it was a Bosch S5). Car has been fine today so unless I have the issue occur again soon, I'll leave the multimeter in the garage (well until I try and fix the drivers door window anyway!)

Cheers
                  Simples first.
                  S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Cheers
                    new batteries will always be fine on the first day......leave the car locked for 3 weeks and let us know how that goes......all the best

Comment

Working...
                    X