Smidge of surface rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smidge of surface rust

What shall I do about this on the tailgate lip?

The stuff behind the number plate is just the backing foam, so the problem area is along the very edge of the tailgate and that little chip you can see - there's nothing else.

Maybe chips aways or similar is the best bet?

Cheers,

D.
    S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

I’d remove the number plate mount and take a look first. It tends to move around a little and rub the paint away causing rust. Personally I’d take it to a body shop for paint rather than chips away to ensure that surface is prepped properly. When I had mine done I put some tiny pieces of rubber behind number plate mount to stop it from rubbing through again
    1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Ian_C View Post
      I’d remove the number plate mount and take a look first. It tends to move around a little and rub the paint away causing rust. Personally I’d take it to a body shop for paint rather than chips away to ensure that surface is prepped properly. When I had mine done I put some tiny pieces of rubber behind number plate mount to stop it from rubbing through again
      Yeah, maybe I'll try both for a quote.
      Incidentally, I think the driver is that when you wash the car, or when it gets wet, water gets held between the lip of the tailgate and the top of the bumper. The space is just the right size to hold drops of water perfectly... I don't think the numberplate caused any issue tbh, but will have a look behind as you say.
      S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

A lot depends on how different dealers attach the number plate surround. The surround does chatter against the hatch if it isn’t dampened by some foam pads and causes the break in the paintwork which then results in the rust forming. On my first Coupe back in 2006 I remember someone on this Forum had put up a similar post to this one today. Next day I went and looked at my car and sure enough it had the same problem with rust behind the edge of the surround. It was only attached by the two top hat connecters to the hatch which allowed it to chatter. Took it to my local bodyshop and the guy their said the car is still under BMW bodywork warranty (only just with about 2 months to go) so take to BMW dealer and see what they say.
        This I did and after a bit discussion with bodywork supervisor who thought the car had been resprayed at some point and a paintwork rep who just happened to be there from BMW Bracknell who checked the paint thickness etc the rep said it was totally original.
        The result was I got a complete new hatch as the rep said BMW (back then) didn’t do repairs, replace the affected part. So got a complete rear end respray and the cables repaired from hatch to bodyshell (I hadn’t realised that I had a fault) all done for free.
        I’d advise getting the surround removed so that a good paint repair can be completed on the hatch it will be better in the long run.
        The other place on the hatch which is prone to rust is where the rear wiper is attached. When I had my present car resprayed I got both areas looked at and cleaned up prior to painting.
        Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
        2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
        1986 M635
        1985 E28 M5
        1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Bodyshop

Definitely one for a Bodyshop:

LSB is easy to match so thats your best bet.

I have actually removed the number plate plinth as it left a mark the size of the plinth after years of rubbage

Comment

Can't work out what is muck and what is rust! Is it rusty though whole width of the lip or is that grit of some kind?

Agree the plinth can damage the paint on the boot, when I bought mine in 2005 it had a silhouette indent from it and a tiny rust spot near the screw hole. Have had that sorted and now run without the plinth.

Comment

Mine had three pieces of foam stuck behind the number plate panel from new and still rubbed slightly (but at the top)

It looks like the bottom of your boot panel is missing paint which may be caused by the panel rubbing on the bumper? if so you can adjust the two rubber stoppers on the hatch which adjust the amount the boot closes

Personally I would try and touch up that amount of missing paint with a brush but it would never be as good as a bodyshop repaint

Comment

Working...
              X