Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetic stone guards

Evening all

Ive been trying to get hold of some of these for the rear arches and can't find a UK distributor, they all seem to be in the states.

Does anybody know of a UK supplier?

Or failing that any experience/recommendations of a USA supplier.

Many thanks
    Estoril S50 (nicely pimped) and a few other M toys.

I think Ian C on the forum supplied these ?

Comment

Thanks Dave

Hopefully he'll be along shortly or if not I'll try and find him and send PM.

Comment

I purchased a pair off german ebay for mine, had them on quite a while but one came off the other month on a blast out.
        I kept the other one and the guy that wrapped my roof copied it and made a pair of matt black ones and stuck them on.
        2000 BMW Z3M COUPE.
        2006 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo.
        07 Volvo V70 D5
        1972 Suzuki Gt750J.
        1972 Suzuki Gt550J.

Some of my old cars.........http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/gman69/library/CARS

Comment

I've got some coming off a seller on ebay, have gone for a shiny black so will see how they look. Normally wouldn't like these, but my car is Cosmos black so hopefully they won't stand out/be noticeable (as I think look a bit shee-ite really). Getting them because after a full respray I picked up a stone chip already and I think it's partly because my front wheels are really poked and prone to flicking stones up down the side of the car.

Comment

Yes, Ian C sells them.

Very good value and Ian is reliable so well worth a try.

Just ensure when applied to the rear arch area that it is as clean as possible and you will need to use some sort of lubrication to ensure good contact/ adhesion.

R

Comment

I used these a few years ago but found them to be more trouble than they are worth.
              S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
                I used these a few years ago but found them to be more trouble than they are worth.
                I have to agree. I have some but took them off. Moisture sat between the guards and paintwork which in turn will cause the paint to fail after time.

Also they were cut wonky so looked a bit naff.

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

Yep, I still make these to order. I had them on my previous z3 2.8 roadster and have a set on my coupe. Never had any problems so long as you remove them from time to time to clean. Let me know if you want a set. £18 inc p&p in the UK
                  1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Hi Ian

Yes please, can you PM payment details and I'll get you paid up.

Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsG View Post
                      I have to agree. I have some but took them off. Moisture sat between the guards and paintwork which in turn will cause the paint to fail after time.

Also they were cut wonky so looked a bit naff.
                      Other than the 'wonky' comment I think it's like anything in life.

If you maintain them periodically they will be fine and may even reduce stone chips.

Alternatives are repaint or clear film.

£15 is worth a go in this scenario.

R
                      Last edited by Rags; 26-09-2016, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I had clear film protectors on my first M Coupe which seemed to do the trick. Not got round to putting any on the my second M Coupe so far as I haven't had so much of a problem as I did a lot more miles (couple of long European tours) in the first car.
                        Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
                        2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
                        1986 M635
                        1985 E28 M5
                        1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Was the clear film cut to size or just a diy sheet?

Comment

The film was cut to shape by the bodyshop lads at what was Preston Hall BMW Teesside (now Coopers) when it was in to get some warranty paintwork/bodywork done.
                            The car was still within the 6 year bodywork warranty period at the time - early 2006 - and had some rust on the rear hatch, the paintwork technician from Bracknell who just happened to be there that day, stated they don't repair rusty panels, BMW replace them!!! Result complete new hatch and full rear end, from behind doors, respray. The paint shop foreman added the film protectors as he'd noticed the a few stone chips on the rear arches.
                            I'll have a look through photos I have of that car to see if I have any pictures to show the shape.
                            Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
                            2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
                            1986 M635
                            1985 E28 M5
                            1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

I have templates for the magnetic stone guards so could cut some clear film to shape if anyone can recommend some?
                              1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X