Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failed front suspension - time for a refresh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Knightrider View Post
    So things seem to be heading towards Bilstein B6 and stock springs. I'm still undecided whether to go stock or standard z3 for the steering rack.

Anything else I should consider whilst I am doing it?

Just check all the rubber parts for wear and replace as needed

Comment

I fitted a standard Z3 rack and after fitting new ends and refurbing,yes there is a difference the car is a lot more pointy,might be that the ends are tight now too,i also replaced my shocks with Bilstiens,i had already replaced the springs with new ones (oem)again made the car flatter in the corners,altho i already HR's fitted,i have just had all rubber stuff renewed at the rear,again a big difference odly enough noticable in the steering,just gone thru an MOT and now need to replace front wishbones as i have a small amount of play nearside,the one thing i noticed which did make a big difference was re-newing the front lollypops,yup i gradually done it over a few months so each part became very noticeable in its own right,

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
        I fitted a standard Z3 rack and after fitting new ends and refurbing,yes there is a difference the car is a lot more pointy,might be that the ends are tight now too,i also replaced my shocks with Bilstiens,i had already replaced the springs with new ones (oem)again made the car flatter in the corners,altho i already HR's fitted,i have just had all rubber stuff renewed at the rear,again a big difference odly enough noticable in the steering,just gone thru an MOT and now need to replace front wishbones as i have a small amount of play nearside,the one thing i noticed which did make a big difference was re-newing the front lollypops,yup i gradually done it over a few months so each part became very noticeable in its own right,
        Great - I think I have a plan. Stock springs, Bilsteins, new steering rack. Just need to find someone near High Wycombe to do it...will probably have to get the car towed there given the current state...
        '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

Updated B6 and standard springs will work nice and give the car much better composer with only slightly firmer ride (not crashy though).

Comment

Great - I think I have a plan. Stock springs, Bilsteins, new steering rack. Just need to find someone near High Wycombe to do it...will probably have to get the car towed there given the current state...
            James at JTH Performance is based in Princess Risborough. He knows the Coupe inside out and back to front. He can arrange a trailer to collect if you prefer and presuming you are local enough. His hourly rate is very reasonable given his level of knowledge, you won't be disappointed.

Mention Russell suggested to call. His number is 07808163720

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsG View Post
              James at JTH Performance is based in Princess Risborough. He knows the Coupe inside out and back to front. He can arrange a trailer to collect if you prefer and presuming you are local enough. His hourly rate is very reasonable given his level of knowledge, you won't be disappointed.

Mention Russell suggested to call. His number is 07808163720

Thanks for the tip. I am waiting on a quote from Tim at TCS in High Wycombe, but will give James a call as well.
              '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

This is getting more tricky. The dampers are a no brainer as Bilsteins are better and cheaper than stock.

The springs are more tricky. BMW want £190 each for the front, and £90 each for the rear (excl VAT!) There are no aftermarket OEM options available that I can find.

H&R are too low - I want as close to stock ride height as possible. Closest I can find is the Eibach Pro kit, which will lower it by about 15mm as far as I can see. Does anyone have any experience with this? What is the ride and height like? Any pics? Other options? Thx!

Comment

I'm also looking into refreshing my cars suspension.

Is the general consensus that bilstein B6 all round are the way to go? I have ACS springs currently fitted with stock suspension, the springs look in good condition but to be honest that must be 10 years old, what's the normal lifespan of a spring?. I assume the ACS springs are no longer available, does anyone know who made them? I like the way the car sits at the moment so don't want to stray to far from what's currently on it.

Comment

When I did mine I was sure I was going to need to do the springs - they're on 100k+ to my knowledge.

Nothing wrong with them at all according to ML, so they are still on and still working fine. If they're not broken as far as I know, there really isn't any point in changing them unless you have a specific reason for doing so.
                    S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

When I had my suspension refreshed, I left the original springs on as they were fine. They have done over 230K now so leave well alone I say!

As mentioned previously, I renewed with OEM dampers as designed for the car and which I have been content with in driving the car for well over 200K miles in all weathers, from hot sun to deep snow. Have also taken the car to Vmax (on derestricted autobahn of course) and the car noticeably firms up at speed.

Consensus seems to be that the cheaper Bilstein dampers are better and give a firmer ride. If that's what you want for everyday use who am I to disagree, you pays your money etc etc.

For what it's worth, I have never regretted my decision to stay OEM.
                      S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by David z coupe View Post
                        I'm also looking into refreshing my cars suspension.

Is the general consensus that bilstein B6 all round are the way to go? I have ACS springs currently fitted with stock suspension, the springs look in good condition but to be honest that must be 10 years old, what's the normal lifespan of a spring?. I assume the ACS springs are no longer available, does anyone know who made them? I like the way the car sits at the moment so don't want to stray to far from what's currently on it.

ACS springs were never available for the Zm's as a separate item but only as part of the complete suspension kit (ACS said the standard shocks were not up to the job so wouldn't sell just springs for them)
                        I think the ACS springs may have been made to Eibach but not 100% sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                          ACS springs were never available for the Zm's as a separate item but only as part of the complete suspension kit (ACS said the standard shocks were not up to the job so wouldn't sell just springs for them)
                          I think the ACS springs may have been made to Eibach but not 100% sure.
                          Where did ACS express their opinion of BMW shocks Dave?
                          S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

I'd love to leave the springs, but as the main reason for the refresh is a broken one I had better replace it...

I am not completely adverse to stock, difference in cost for dampers is minor (£10-20 a corner). The major difference is springs - stock springs are over £400 more expensive than an Eibach pro kit! I don't mind paying if the consensus is that stock springs are better, but doesn't seem much sense if Eibachs handle better than stock.

Is no-one running Eibach springs with Bilstein dampers? I think this is the set-up for the B12 kit (not available for the M coupe)?

Comment

This is getting more tricky. The dampers are a no brainer as Bilsteins are better and cheaper than stock.

The springs are more tricky. BMW want £190 each for the front, and £90 each for the rear (excl VAT!) There are no aftermarket OEM options available that I can find.

H&R are too low - I want as close to stock ride height as possible. Closest I can find is the Eibach Pro kit, which will lower it by about 15mm as far as I can see. Does anyone have any experience with this? What is the ride and height like? Any pics? Other options? Thx!

I thought the fronts were around £80. each and there rear set about £200?

may be worth ringing some of the dealers who do discounts and mail order?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                                I thought the fronts were around £80. each and there rear set about £200?

may be worth ringing some of the dealers who do discounts and mail order?
                                Might have got it the wrong way round... I will call a few dealers and check...

Comment

Working...
                                X