Forums in general.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forums in general.....

Although no longer a member of the BMW car club I occasionally log in to their forum to see what's going on and although very quiet an interesting thread appeared last week regarding facebook and forums which soon got removed by the moderators but basically a member was asking why the club was moving towards facebook to promote and inform members of events and not using the car club forum to do the same as many people don't use FB and have no intention of doing so (like me) the thread clearly angered some members but one member proclaimed forums would be dead within a year (not sure if he just meant the car club or forums in general). I was surprised at such a statement but would like to hear other members views regarding the future of this forum. I still believe forums are a great platform for shared information and when people need information or guidance then hard to beat.

Whoever did that post about forums being dead within a year maybe doesn’t use any other forum other BMWCC which doesn’t have a lot of activity.
    I think this forum does quite well for such a small group of car owners/cars on the road in UK. Whenever I check on here in there might only be a few members logged in but loads still accessing the site in the background.
    Regarding forums in general the other two car related ones I use, Z3roadster.org is hugely popular with new owners coming on all the time and even Z3roadster.net ticks over ok.
    Main thing is we have to use the Forum to keep it going. 👍
    Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
    2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
    1986 M635
    1985 E28 M5
    1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Just to add I think this forum does exactly as it sets out to do and for M Coupe specific information is the best out there its a shame we don't give ourselves more credit and as the other UK forums which in theory cover this car (and get linked frequently) don't come close to what we have for this unique car.

Comment

Another point regarding forums is not to underestimate the damage done by picture hosting sites like tiny and bucket who have destroyed many threads with deleting of pictures , FB appears to be easier for posting pictures but a shame many choose just to show what they are having for their lunch.

Comment

I use both Facebook and online forums. I find the online forums are better as a technical resource and for searching, Facebook is better for general chat.
          1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Since owning my car 2 and a half years ago this forum has and continues to be a great resource. Prior to buying my car I also used it to do hours of research, which really helped in getting any little niggles sorted once I took ownership. I have also sourced numerous parts from other forum members too.

As Dave says, I think it ticks over and does exactly what it should do. It also stays relatively free of silly keyboard disputes which I would find really off putting.

For such a small ownership pool, it’s great to have it running, long may it continue.

Comment

This forum is my go to place for anything Z3M related, I don't have a FB profile nor would I have one just to get access to a forum.

This forum is active enough to keep me checking regularly long may it continue.

Abid

Comment

Originally posted by abid View Post
                This forum is my go to place for anything Z3M related, I don't have a FB profile nor would I have one just to get access to a forum.

Abid
                I'm also checking & replying this forum treads rather than other Z forums till I bought my car 11 years ago. My only problem is spare time so I'm not active for a period of time. This forum is the best place to have detailed troubleshooting, spare parts and anything about Z3M Coupes.
                Thanks Dave
                I'm not a clown but the shoe is ///Mine
                sigpic

Estoril/Estoril/black, B&M SSK, 6Spd S6S-420G, Strong Strut, R.Forbes sub-frame kit & RE dual ear diff cover, Supersprint Race Headers & Resonators & DTM Cat-backs, Bilstein B6 Sport, BBS RC 301 & 303 8.5/10x18" wheels, Alcon Mono6 355mm Front & Mono4 332mm Rear Full Floating BBK, Pro Ramp Variable Lock %75 LSD

Comment

Facebook being heralded as the death of dedicated forum platforms isn't anything new to be honest and in my opinion is just something that people who live their lives through Facebook would want or have you believe - awful bloody place in my opinion and one of the reasons that I left that the digital marketing industry a few years ago
                  Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                  ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                  Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Originally posted by 4xhausts View Post
                    Since owning my car 2 and a half years ago this forum has and continues to be a great resource. Prior to buying my car I also used it to do hours of research, which really helped in getting any little niggles sorted once I took ownership. I have also sourced numerous parts from other forum members too.

As Dave says, I think it ticks over and does exactly what it should do. It also stays relatively free of silly keyboard disputes which I would find really off putting.

For such a small ownership pool, it’s great to have it running, long may it continue.
                    Originally posted by abid View Post

Abid
                    Originally posted by cemalakcal View Post
                    I'm also checking & replying this forum treads rather than other Z forums till I bought my car 11 years ago. My only problem is spare time so I'm not active for a period of time. This forum is the best place to have detailed troubleshooting, spare parts and anything about Z3M Coupes.
                    Thanks Dave
                    Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
                    Facebook being heralded as the death of dedicated forum platforms isn't anything new to be honest and in my opinion is just something that people who live their lives through Facebook would want or have you believe - awful bloody place in my opinion and one of the reasons that I left that the digital marketing industry a few years ago

thanks for the replies, I think we have something worth keeping going but maybe other forums will die if there is nothing worth signing in for.

Comment

I have three teenage children and interestly they don't use FB any more, they say it is for "old people". Having said that I don't have FB and have no intention of doing so either!
                      This forum is my go-to place for any information technical or otherwise on the MC and will generally take a peek most days despite not posting very often.
                      Keep up the good work and long may it last 👍
                      1999 BMW Z3M Coupe - Estoril Blue
                      sigpic

Comment

I have a FB psudenym to keep an eye on my kids and to vet perspective employees at my day job
                        You would be amazed how many people send in CV s and post pictilure of drug taking etc
                        Any how I do check out car and bijdd Ed pages but to be honest. 75% of posts are by numptys or keyboard warriors.
                        There full of rubbish posts and the same repetitive questions

My choice would be to remain as a forum for the more discernible member.

Nothing wrong with a FB page also but keep the membership as it is on here 95% owners and past owners and the rest looking to buyers.
                        FB may not be for kids but it’s full of W@nkers who are childish and want to squabble
                        [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

This is a fantastic forum and all you guys make it such.

One of the best

Comment

Working...
                          X