Rear view mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear view mirror

The rear view mirror on the coupe has the bottom red lens missing. Are these available and are they just a manual knob to dim or an automatic dimmer lens? Thanks in advance. Steve

They are black on the M Coupe and just turn to dim the mirror. They often break and fall off due to a poor design. I don't think they are available as a separate part from BMW.

Comment

Shows where I've been going wrong. I thought they were automatic and that mine was just broken!

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

I think the mechanism become stiff over time and when turned with force the plastic knob just splits as the walls are very thin.

US spec cars got an auto dimming mirror which is smaller than the Euro version and can be retro fitted but you need to take

power from the sunroof wiring and fit the alarm pcb into the casing for the remote central locking.

Comment

There is a complete mirror on ebay at the moment but they are not cheap (about £350 new from BMW?)

Comment

I may try and get one CNC’d and anodised. I can see and feel the spindle up inside the mirror body. Thanks Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
              They are black on the M Coupe and just turn to dim the mirror. They often break and fall off due to a poor design. I don't think they are available as a separate part from BMW.
              Ha, I still remember finding a small part on the carpet behind the passenger seat at a car show, showing it to Dave and him knowing immediately that it was the missing mirror adjuster that I'd been trying to source or fabricate a replacement for
              Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
              ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
              Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Working...
              X