Steering rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering rack

I have a number of jobs planned for the spring and have a question about the M and non M steering rack. I find the steering in my car ok at speed, but at slower speeds, the wheel does require quite big inputs/big turns for what are small corners etc. I have read switching to the non M steering rack improves the steering response. Can anyone with experience of this give me their thoughts/advice? I’m assuming changing the steering wheel size would also help.

Other jobs planned are replacing power steering cooling loop and lower bonnet catches, new rear tyres, and also considering some new front indicator panels as I have a pair of rear quarters so might get all 4 replaced and painted at the same time.

Hoping to do some proper mileage this year when I’m allowed out of my house!

I'm interested to know about the steering rack too, I just asked the same question!

I've bought a good second hand one and intend to try it when I get round to it and revert back to stock if I'm not happy.

Ideally I wanted to try a smaller steering wheel before hand as I thought that might make a surprisingly significant difference from what I've read on the ZRoadster forum.

The standard Z3 rack is also supposed to be not only less turns rack to rack but linear, the Z3M rack (also shared with most E36 BMW's but with reduced travel due to the wider wheels) is progressive and slightly slower in the centre which is good on the motorway for relaxed cruising but might explain the somewhat slow initial response.

I changed all suspension recently and having the alingment done has made me a lot happier, maybe something to try first? I've never been dissapionted by an alingment trip for any car, even though they can only adjust the front Toe on the M Coupe.

Comment

Yes any non-m z3 rack is quicker off centre and is a straight swap. All PAS lines, column and tie rods fit there is no modifying required.

Comment

Some comments here regarding steering racks,

https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showt...=steering+rack

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I think I will fit a standard z3 rack in the spring and see if it sharpens up the response.

Comment

Please let us know when done - watching with interest as, though I've adjusted my driving style to match the MC's steering control, I do find it a little vague compared with other cars I'm used to driving, so a sharper response may suit me to a tee!
            ----------------
            David
            1999 M Coupe (S50)
            >>Read my journal here<<
            2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
            2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Working...
            X