No announcement yet.

M Coupe Resto and Engine Rebuild !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine coming along nicely. Cams and flywheel have been installed today and as always lots of more cleaning done.

Alternator serviced and cleaned,

Starter motor cleaned,

Before,

After,

and finally, new BBS center caps have arrived. Current ones are very worn and scratched.

The valve was already replaced before I had a chance to tell my mechanics :)

Last edited by CLUBBER; 17-01-2013, 09:59 PM.
    Can,

'87 M3
    '95 M3 GT
    '00 M Coupé
    '04 M3 CSL

Comment

Exellent job's !!! what are they using to clean parts?? they look like new!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
        Exellent job's !!! what are they using to clean parts?? they look like new!!!
        It is mostly gasoline and caliper cleaner.
        Can,

'87 M3
        '95 M3 GT
        '00 M Coupé
        '04 M3 CSL

Comment

Been a slow weekend but done a few bit more. Mostly engine stuff.

Thermostat housing cleaned,

Before :

After :

Fuel rail cleaned and painted matt black for OEM look,

Housing installed and pulleys painted ;

Injection Tube Connecting Pipes cleaned (It's the little things ;)

Before and after,

Throttle bodies installed,

And I bought an used headers which didn't have any cracks or welds and all it needed was some love,

Before,

Obviously this rusty junk can't go in to my fresh engine like that so, I sent it to my polish guy. He rested the headers in rust remower chemical for a day and the next day, he polished the metal using three different polish pads from hard to soft. The result,

That's it for now, tomorrow we'll hopefully put the cover on and finish the internal build of the engine, thanks for watching...
          Can,

'87 M3
          '95 M3 GT
          '00 M Coupé
          '04 M3 CSL

Comment

Originally posted by CLUBBER View Post
            I'm not a clown but the shoe is ///Mine
            sigpic

Estoril/Estoril/black, B&M SSK, 6Spd S6S-420G, Strong Strut, R.Forbes sub-frame kit & RE dual ear diff cover, Supersprint Race Headers & Resonators & DTM Cat-backs, Bilstein B6 Sport, BBS RC 301 & 303 8.5/10x18" wheels, Alcon Mono6 355mm Front & Mono4 332mm Rear Full Floating BBK, Pro Ramp Variable Lock %75 LSD

Comment

Originally posted by cemalakcal View Post
              Can,

'87 M3
              '95 M3 GT
              '00 M Coupé
              '04 M3 CSL

Comment

Finally we closed up the engine today, engine cover repainted in OEM matt black. Needs a little cleaning but a whole lot better than the ricer grey paint before,

Then I saw the transmission laying on the side of the shop and decided to give it a good cleaning. I forgot to take a before shot but I can tell you it was almost completely black from dirt and oil.

found this pic online, not mine but mine was even dirtier,

And after a lot of pressurised water and other stuff,

and that's it for today, next up will be the cleaning of the engine bay before the engine goes back in, it is a dirty mess right now. I'll post pics after it is properly cleaned.
                Can,

'87 M3
                '95 M3 GT
                '00 M Coupé
                '04 M3 CSL

Comment

Great stuff.

When you're done can you give mine the once over - it could really do with it.
                  S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Originally posted by Seca Blue View Post
                    Great stuff.

When you're done can you give mine the once over - it could really do with it.
                    hahaha.. I should start overseas labour then :)
                    Can,

'87 M3
                    '95 M3 GT
                    '00 M Coupé
                    '04 M3 CSL

Comment

My mechanic told me, in a few days, he would put the engine in so today, I cleaned up the engine bay as much as I can and man did it loose some dirt. It is really hard to capture the clean look on camera but you guys will get the picture I guess.

Before main look,

After, general look,

Steering rack before,

After,

Before,

After,

Just got news that my CF airbox arrived in the country nd hopefully receive it in a few days. It would be nice to test fit the headers and airbox in before the engine goes in. Thanks for watching,
                      Can,

'87 M3
                      '95 M3 GT
                      '00 M Coupé
                      '04 M3 CSL

Comment

looking good - have the horns been relocated from the front bumper area?

Comment

The way you are handling this project is truly awesome. Gives me an urge to take out the engine from //Mine :)

Could you kindly make a note where the grounding wire that grounds the engine block is located ?

Last summer I had an issue with the starter motor not working and after using almost one week to look for the problem it was finally solved simply by adding a grounding wire to the engine block. I never found out whether there was one originally or not, and if there was where it have been attached to.

The polished headers look wonderful. Originally, from the the rear header has a flex part that in your headers has been replaced by a solid tube. I suppose that this is not considered to create any significant problems due to the different amount of thermal expansion of the headers (the front one being longer than the rear one) ? I thought that the flex is there to prevent the headers from cracking because the next part with the catalytic converters is rather solid.

Keep up posting !

br, JuhaV
                          The older I get, the faster I was ...
                          BMW HP2 Sport
                          ex- BMW Z3 M Coupe - Cosmosschwartz Metallic

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the carbon airbox!
                            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by JuhaV View Post
                              The way you are handling this project is truly awesome. Gives me an urge to take out the engine from //Mine :)

Could you kindly make a note where the grounding wire that grounds the engine block is located ?

Last summer I had an issue with the starter motor not working and after using almost one week to look for the problem it was finally solved simply by adding a grounding wire to the engine block. I never found out whether there was one originally or not, and if there was where it have been attached to.

The polished headers look wonderful. Originally, from the the rear header has a flex part that in your headers has been replaced by a solid tube. I suppose that this is not considered to create any significant problems due to the different amount of thermal expansion of the headers (the front one being longer than the rear one) ? I thought that the flex is there to prevent the headers from cracking because the next part with the catalytic converters is rather solid.

Keep up posting !

br, JuhaV
                              Thanks for all the great tips Juha,

I'll check with my mechanic regarding the grounding cable.
                              The flex part on the headers were cut of by the PO cuz it cracked more than a few times. He has been using this straight setup quite a while and had no problems. When I checked all the aftermarket headers manufacturers (supersprint, AA etc.) I also saw them using non-flexi systems. I just think BMW has taken the safe path for VERY minimal metal stretch issues. But I guess time will tell :)

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                              Looking forward to seeing the carbon airbox!
                              Me too. It is the most exciting part of this entire rebuild for me. It should be here in a few days hopefully...
                              Can,

'87 M3
                              '95 M3 GT
                              '00 M Coupé
                              '04 M3 CSL

Comment

A small update,

We flushed out all the previous bits and dirt from the oil radiator and gave it a quick spray paint including its connecting piping,

and then we test fitted the headers to the completed engine, they sure look good :)

tomorrow we'll receive some of the missing parts of the engine bay and hopefully the airbox and on friday we plan to drop the engine and trans in. Keep watching ;)
                                Can,

'87 M3
                                '95 M3 GT
                                '00 M Coupé
                                '04 M3 CSL

Comment

Working...
                                X