ac pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ac pump

i have had a rattle noise coming from front of engine for some time mainly on cold start up and on hard acceleration.i thought it was a thrust bearing in clutch but noise is slight and everything works fine.someone with a good nowledge of bmw pointed out that it was the air con pump.i was told that i could just remove the belt and delete a.c as you would do on a track car.has anyone else come across this,cheers

Hey Jess, I'm pretty sure C_W has removed all air-con related stuff, so it might be worth dropping him a PM if he doesn't spot this
    Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
    ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
    Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Mine's still got AC :) What I have removed is the auxilliary air pump which sits just under and to the right of the compressor as it was noisy on my car, and is only used on warm-up. I used a shorter belt for the A/C that was probably used in the SA market which didn't have the same emission regs.

You could trial it by just removing the A/C belt and see if the noise goes (this belt isn't essential to run the car). It is possible it's the tensioner in that run or the auxillary pump pulley. If you remove the belt and spin each of the 3 pulleys I think you'll find the culprit.

Comment

Ahhh... gotcha
        Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
        ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
        Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

thank you for replies.i was told to just remove the belt but didnt want any warning lights on the dash.also i would like the option of a.c.for those rare hot days up north.i think i will go for the smaller belt option and delete the auxillary air pump,hopefully this is the one with rattle.it only happens at low revs as i was informed it cuts out at 3k rpm which points at auxillary pump.anyidea on part number for smaller belt.cheers.

Comment

[QUOTE=jess robson;187133]thank you for replies.i was told to just remove the belt but didnt want any warning lights on the dash.also i would like the option of a.c.for those rare hot days up north.i think i will go for the smaller belt option and delete the auxillary air pump,hopefully this is the one with rattle.it only happens at low revs as i was informed it cuts out at 3k rpm which points at auxillary pump.anyidea on part number for smaller belt.cheers.[/QUOTE

Jess.
            What date is the hot weather due so I can make sure my A/C is fully functioning?
            Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
            2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
            1986 M635
            1985 E28 M5
            1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

i wouldnt hold your breath Pete..what do i do with the two pipes from cold air pump,do i block them or join them to make a loop,cheers..it is actually sunny here but dont think its going to last long.

Comment

There's a pipe running from the airbox under the engine to the pump, and another that goes up to under the exhaust manifold where there is a one-way valve of some kind (so exhaust gases don't blow back out). I removed mine and without issue, just tucked the cable nearby, removed all the pipeworked up to the valve and put an end cap/bung on the airbox.

The pulleys can get noisy/dry too, so give it a spin when the belt is off. There's no warning lights with this belt off, only with the main fan belt removed which gives a battery warning light when it's removed with engine running.

Comment

There are some pictures of the pipework here,

https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19305

I think you buy a blanking plate for the head connection,

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_1311

Comment

thanks again for replies.i have removed belt and it is the second pump which is rattling.it looks like a centrifugal clutch on the front.i will remove this and pipe work today.i have searched for a shorter belt and have found that the non m z3 do not have this pump and only runs the a.c.it is a 5pk830 instead of my 5pk1125.i will order one today and let you know if correct.cheers for the help and pictures.

Comment

I originally bought one against realoem and it turned out to be too short (5pk785). Think this is for cars WITHOUT aircon but with the airpump!

The one that did fit was a Gates 5PK880 (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163229359838).

5PK880 BMW Part No. 11281402334 (South Africa with Air Conditioning without airpump).

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_1327
                      Last edited by c_w; 21-06-2020, 10:46 AM.

Comment

thank you,i tried to measure with a shoe lace and came up with 865 length.close ish.performance wise it does feel cleaner at low r.p.m without second belt but could be that the sun is out and quiet roads.just ordered another belt so air con works for long hot summer.cheers.

Comment

Working...
                        X