Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Light

OK so now the second problem.

Driving to work this morning the engine light came on - not related to any particular event.

I left it all day and the light is still on when I drove home this afternoon.

I have checked under the bonnet for any really obvious loose wires, leakages etc. but nothing jumps out at me.

Is there a diagnostic process i should follow, or do I just need to take it to a garage for a plug in to their diagnostic computer?

Any obvious first steps?

I thank you for your help.

D

Is it a s54?
    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Which light is it exactly?
      2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
        Is it a s54?
        Tims old one! (black 02 plate?) S54

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
        Which light is it exactly?
        Im guessing the EML

Could be anything, maf, o2 sensor, maybe even just need resetting!

Click here to email me

Comment

Hi,Yes it's a S54.

It is the yellow light with what looks to be an outline of an engine. I don't know what the name of the light is, since I don't have my manual yet.

This is making sound like a bit of a dummy, but I just don't know my way around the car yet.

D

Comment

This sounds remarkably similar to my first dashboard light experience (S54...)
            It was the exhaust emissions light??? Still no real idea what this is.
            Anyway, after resting her for a week the light went off on it own accord and has not reappeared again (yet)

Comment

I had that light come on when my throttle position sensor was faulty. That was accompanied by a hesitation at certain revs though.
              2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

I have had this light come on and off for years at 2/3 week intervals.

Was on a couple of years ago during the MOT test and the car passed well within limits.

Has been fault checked numerous times with no direct outcome. Likely is a cat sensor problem (recommended to change them at 100k I believe) but they cost and the car runs fine.
                S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

I'll book it into my local dealer for a diagnostic readout. See what it says.

The car is running fine.

Thanks for the suggestions.
                  D

Comment

I thought I'd report back on the engine light issue.

I took her into the delaer this morning, engine light still on. They did a diagnostic run and came up with about 12 or so error codes - however, their view was that none of them required any fixing, and so they just reset the light!

I also changed the exhaust at the same time, back to standard, and there are a couple of rubber elements in the system that look like they are on the way out, so they have suggested I drive around for a couple of days and then come back in for the rubbers, at the same time they will plug in the diagnostic computer again to see if any of the errors recur.

I drove her home and no light (and a much better sound from the exhaust)

So here's hoping it was just software.

I'll report back further on Thursday when she goes in for the re-diagnostic test again.
                    D

Comment

Madridpunch, did you get any further getting to the source of this issue please?

Comment

Not really. I found out that the light relates to something wrong with the emissions. But when they plugged it into the computer they got a long list of error codes (about 15 different ones). They then reset it, ran the car for a while and nothing came back. So it is a mystery.

This has since happened again, and again no fault found. Very strange!

Comment

I'm in exactly the same boat, and have been for some years now. The indy I use is very, very good but he can't find the source.

Wonder if a main dealers software may be "cleverer", but am reluctant to go this route.

Bit of a continuing empass.

Comment

It would be handy to know exactly what codes were recorded. One of them will point to the problem, but others will just be a side effect of the issue. For instance, a miss-fire on one cylinder can also can also cause codes to be recorded for another and also lambda (
                            emissions) issues. I had this recently when a coil-pack failed.

Did the car go into limp mode at all?

I would get yourself a code ready like the Peake R5/SCS-3 tool. This would allow you to read the codes yourself and reset if needed.

Comment

The second time it happened (last week) I asked for a print out of the eror codes.

There were two lights on this time - the emissions and the DSC light. They again said there were quite a few error codes recorded, but this time after they reset it there was still one error left and that led to replacing the steering wheel sensor.

i think the DSC light may have had something to do with a small accident I had recently (I hit a concrete block on the motorway that had fallen from a lorry - at around 80) which led to a replacement front wheel, lower wishbone and other suspension/steering parts.

I asked for a print off of the error codes, but they only gave me the one that stayed after they reset - so only one code and that related to the steering wheel sensor issue.

Other problem is that it is all in Dutch (I am living in Eindhoven at the moment). The car has never gone into limp home mode, the lights don't seem to indicate anything that affects performance.

If the light comes on again I will then buy a reader. I don't suppose they do a reset device as well?

Comment

Working...
                              X