Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aargghhh - why is choosing new suspension so difficult?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
    Thanks.

I gave Larkspeed a call and they were recommending the Bilstein B6 with H&R 30mm springs; something they think would give a considerably improved ride without becoming harsh.

They thought that KWV3 would be too hard, even though they are adjustable, for my commute/fast road driving - would people agree?
    Doesn't really ake that much sense to me as the adjustability of the KWV3 could perhaps give a softer ride than the fixed Bilsteins. The Bilsteins do have a good road damping setup though, if a little soft at the rear. You want the B8 "Sprint" Bilsteins thoughwith a shortened rod, not the B6 which are designed for standard springs.

I run B8 front dampers and Spax adjustable rears which are cheaper and seem pretty good.

Comment

Another boring question if someone would be so kind please!

I have new Rogue rear top mounts so what else do I need once I pick dampers/springs:

Front top mounts - OEM (lemforder from ECP?)
      Front drop links - OEM (lemforder from ECP?)
      Rear drop links - OEM (lemforder from ECP?)
      Rear spring pads - OEM from BMW?

I already have H&R anti roll bars ready to go.

Thanks
      Ian
      2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
        Doesn't really ake that much sense to me as the adjustability of the KWV3 could perhaps give a softer ride than the fixed Bilsteins. The Bilsteins do have a good road damping setup though, if a little soft at the rear. You want the B8 "Sprint" Bilsteins thoughwith a shortened rod, not the B6 which are designed for standard springs.

I run B8 front dampers and Spax adjustable rears which are cheaper and seem pretty good.
        Well I thought that from comments on here but they said B6, something that tallies with the Bilstein website as they say the B6 is for standard and upto 30mm drop and B8 is for greater than 40mm drop.

Experience from someone who has run them is important though.

Re the KW, they thought the softest setting would be a lot harder than the Bilstein.
        Last edited by Spooks; 26-03-2013, 10:55 PM.
        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Another boring question if someone would be so kind please!

I have new Rogue rear top mounts so what else do I need once I pick dampers/springs:

Front top mounts - OEM (lemforder from ECP?)
          Front drop links - OEM (lemforder from ECP?)
          Rear drop links - OEM (lemforder from ECP?)
          Rear spring pads - OEM from BMW?

I already have H&R anti roll bars ready to go.

Thanks
          Ian
          About two hours,maybe less when you have to strip out the back to fit the topmounts!!!not sure why BMW did not put an access panel round the top mounts in the first place...its easy once you get started tho!

Comment

Re the KW, they thought the softest setting would be a lot harder than the Bilstein.
            No chance. I had the ACS sports kit (Bilstein dampers) and it is way stiffer than my KWs on the softest setting.

When changing the suspension it's worth buying all new bolts, washers and pads as well. They are pretty cheap anyway and it makes the job simpler. You can also build up the front struts before you remove the old ones. The most expensive parts are the front top mounts.

Comment

Well I thought that from comments on here but they said B6, something that tallies with the Bilstein website as they say the B6 is for standard and upto 30mm drop and B8 is for greater than 40mm drop.

Experience from someone who has run them is important though.

Personally I'd go with the B8 dampers, the droop is plenty on them despite the shorter rod so I woudn't like to use standard length on lowering springs. I have the "factory" ACS lowering springs so hardly excessive - 30mm is about average for lowering springs I'd say.

Comment

ask about the b12 kit , its a matched spring and damper combo

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                  Personally I'd go with the B8 dampers, the droop is plenty on them despite the shorter rod so I woudn't like to use standard length on lowering springs. I have the "factory" ACS lowering springs so hardly excessive - 30mm is about average for lowering springs I'd say.
                  Originally posted by paulwirral View Post
                  ask about the b12 kit , its a matched spring and damper combo
                  Having spoken to a few other places and people it sounds like B8s are the way to go with Bilstein, especially since they don't do B12 or anything adjustable or even in a kit!

Waiting on some prices back for KWV3, H&R height adjustable kit 29515 and the mix and match B8 with H&R springs. No doubt Easter hols will get it the way, not sure how I'll be getting to work next week!

Comment

I have spare springs you could borrow if you get really stuck

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                      I have spare springs you could borrow if you get really stuck
                      Cheers Dave, will have a think and get back to you

Comment

Originally posted by siwilson View Post
                        No chance. I had the ACS sports kit (Bilstein dampers) and it is way stiffer than my KWs on the softest setting.

When changing the suspension it's worth buying all new bolts, washers and pads as well. They are pretty cheap anyway and it makes the job simpler. You can also build up the front struts before you remove the old ones. The most expensive parts are the front top mounts.
                        Which do you prefer the feel of, the ACS or the KWV3?

Which front drop links and front top mounts did you fit with the KW?

Comment

Ian,

If you'd like to come over to my place I'll give you some passenger time in my MC with KW V3 etc. and I'll make some adjustments to the set up for you so that you can see for yourself how it works. Likewise, you can experience the ACS Racing suspension on my Z4MC.

There are some super twisties around here so you'd see how the adjustable kits cope.
                          /// Exdos ///
                          "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post
                            Ian,

If you'd like to come over to my place I'll give you some passenger time in my MC with KW V3 etc. and I'll make some adjustments to the set up for you so that you can see for yourself how it works. Likewise, you can experience the ACS Racing suspension on my Z4MC.

There are some super twisties around here so you'd see how the adjustable kits cope.
                            I will drop you a message John!

Comment

I definitely prefer the KWs now I have them setup as bit better. Just after install I had them on full soft and although it gave a very comfortable ride, it was a bit 'floaty'. I set to KW recommendations and it really tightened up, really planted. On decent roads it was a revelation. The only issue was over big bumps where it felt like the same jarring as the ACS. One example is a small roundabout near where I live that has a really uneven road surface. Set per KW recommendation you could really feel the bump and at any speed the rear would skip sideways a little. i backed off the bump 2 clicks, the rebound one click and while you still feel the bump, the skip is gone. If i had the patience i might be able to 'dial it out altogether, but maybe at the expense of handling on smoother roads. Since then and after some reading here I softened the rear a bit more than the front and lowered the rear by 5mm. The roundabout is just as good and the ride is better, but I have noticed the DSC light flickering on long sweeping bends like motorway on ramps. A step back. Now the warmer weather is coming I take another look at it to see what can be done to move things forward. See, these things don't just affect Jenson :)

That's the benefit of the KWv3, the ability to play with bump and rebound separately at each corner until you're happy.

I used the new front drop-links that come with the KWv3 kit, standard ones won't work as the mounting point on the strut is different. i also used standard top mounts as mine were virtually new. I plan to change these to adjustable ones at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by siwilson View Post
                                I definitely prefer the KWs now I have them setup as bit better. Just after install I had them on full soft and although it gave a very comfortable ride, it was a bit 'floaty'. I set to KW recommendations and it really tightened up, really planted. On decent roads it was a revelation. The only issue was over big bumps where it felt like the same jarring as the ACS. One example is a small roundabout near where I live that has a really uneven road surface. Set per KW recommendation you could really feel the bump and at any speed the rear would skip sideways a little. i backed off the bump 2 clicks, the rebound one click and while you still feel the bump, the skip is gone. If i had the patience i might be able to 'dial it out altogether, but maybe at the expense of handling on smoother roads. Since then and after some reading here I softened the rear a bit more than the front and lowered the rear by 5mm. The roundabout is just as good and the ride is better, but I have noticed the DSC light flickering on long sweeping bends like motorway on ramps. A step back. Now the warmer weather is coming I take another look at it to see what can be done to move things forward. See, these things don't just affect Jenson :)

That's the benefit of the KWv3, the ability to play with bump and rebound separately at each corner until you're happy.

I used the new front drop-links that come with the KWv3 kit, standard ones won't work as the mounting point on the strut is different. i also used standard top mounts as mine were virtually new. I plan to change these to adjustable ones at some point.
                                No problems with the ACS road kit on my M Coupe which will have big differences over the handling of the less rigid roadster

Comment

Working...
                                X