Missing front undertray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing front undertray?

I was taking a look under the front of my car this morning to try to work out which bits of the front air ducts were damaged as the front oil cooling duct is hanging down. I might be wrong, but I have a feeling that there is a front tray missing from under the car.

A pic of the front underside of my car:

The broken trim is number 1, which is the lowest point of part 3 on the following diagram:

I think this part should bolt on to the rusty screw seen on the oil cooling duct. As far as I can see, to oil cooler just wedges into the mesh of the front bumper at its front end.

Is there supposed to be another piece of trim between the oil cooler at the front, and the underbody tray behind the front axle? There are two brackets (I have numbered one 3 in the photo, part 10 in the parts diagram) which currently have nothing attached. Looking at the diagram, I wonder if part 2 is meant to be in there somewhere?

Does anyone have any pics of their front underside for comparison?
    '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Your front undertray is damaged, or cut so that its shorter (part #2). This one should extend to the rusty brackets you mention (#3, and other side as well).

But you're also missing another piece, an outlet air duct from the oil cooler. This one is attached to the first part and just slid above the oil cooler. It should be just behind the oil cooler and also so has a bulge to air pump (don't ask me how I know :). Its the #11 part on the pic below:

Comment

I've just removed all this trim to fit a new radiator and in the process of refitting. You're definatly missing a few bits there. I'll take some pic's when I get home later.

Comment

Originally posted by sean.bmwm3 View Post
        I've just removed all this trim to fit a new radiator and in the process of refitting. You're definatly missing a few bits there. I'll take some pic's when I get home later.
        That would be very useful. It is not easy to see from the real-oem pics quite where each bit fits.
        '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

Part #2 (as per your picture) is the cover for the Aircon condenser and looks to be intact. I think. The center section is missing (#2 on ROEM schematic) and really needs to be replaced - a few tasty items there that you could do without damaging on speedhumps etc. Bet FAB would have one...

Comment

Originally posted by offyourmarks View Post
            Part #2 (as per your picture) is the cover for the Aircon condenser and looks to be intact. I think. The center section is missing (#2 on ROEM schematic) and really needs to be replaced - a few tasty items there that you could do without damaging on speedhumps etc. Bet FAB would have one...
            They don't seem to have one listed on their site. I'll call the local stealer next week and see how much it is...

Comment

Either this part #2 is totally missing, or it's far from intact. It should extend all the way to the swaybar (part #2 on the schema).

On the second look, i think this part is totaly missing. What you're looking at is inlet oil cooler duct (not the air condenser), the part 16/15 on the first schema.

And you're also missing outlet oil cooler duct.

Originally posted by offyourmarks View Post

Comment

Your missing no 11 and no 2 for sure!

Comment

Working...
                X