Road trip - a few photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road trip - a few photos

Desperate to get away from England's pathetic excuse for a summer, we treated the MC to a holiday in Italy last week. The deal was that Ann gets to spend five days by a pool in Tuscany doing nothing (not really my thing) and I get to choose the route home

The roads in Tuscany were mixed: some great roads, but some really bad road surfaces.

Friday morning we took the scenic route from Pontedera to Modena on the way to Lake Garda, a nice warm-up for Saturday...

Starting from Lake Garda, we took in a minor pass to the north of the lake, then on to the stunning views past Madonna di Capiglio before getting onto the real stuff: Tonale Pass, Aprica Pass, Stelvio Pass, then the "Top Gear route" over Ofenpass and Fluelapass before dropping down into Davos and then onto the main roads up to Strasbourg, arriving 14 hours after we started. Absolutely exhausting, but some fantastic roads and some fantastic scenery.

Stelvio is just insane - more so because it had been closed until 4pm due to a cycling event, leaving us sharing it with hundreds of cyclists from the event, hoards of frustrated bikers and some plonker in a campervan.

The tight craziness of the Italian passes is quite a contrast to the Swiss passes over to Davos: wide, smooth, deserted, two lane roads with everything from blind hairpins to flowing bends with perfect visibility.

Sunday was just a blast up the autoroutes, with the obligatory photo call at Reims:

And then back to England... Within one mile of getting off the train, we were stuck behind overtaking lorries - for the first time in 2,000 miles Then we hit the M25 - stationary We crawl round to the M40, and within 30 seconds of getting off the road to hell, torrential rain Yep, it's great to be back.

Still, some truly fantastic driving. If you've not done it already, then you owe your MC a trip to the Alps. A few more photos here: http://www.z3mcoupe.com/photopost/sh...er=274&cat=500

Paul

Awesome trip, Paul! MC still looks epic in such a backdrop.

When I used to live in Besancon, France and work in Switzerland, I loved the drive over the alps every morning. Problem was I was then doing it in a mrk3 golf which was a shame. The MC must have been amazing!
    Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
    In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

Paul,

I'm glad you had a great trip. You've racked up some miles in the past month!

Off Topic
      I took a look at your album as per your link and saw your photo, as below.

This photo captures the precise reason why the MC really bites with its OEM suspension. The photo shows that although the front wheels are turning right, the car is still well loaded on the right side from turning left and the rapid weight shift to the left that will occur, moments after that photo was taken, will really destabilise the car. I think we've all been there! Reduce the bodyroll and reduce the problem.

/// Exdos ///
      "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Working...
      X