No announcement yet.

Black S50 Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just looked on ebay, winning Bid was 15k, interesting to see why the buyer didnt pick it up......
    Previous: Silver s50 Mc
    Previous: Yellow s50 Mc
    -------------------------------------------
    Current: Estoril S50 Mc

Comment

Think its a big gamble at 15k, if its been standing, breaks, disks, quarter panels, and any number of other possible defects. Whats the underside look like, break lines, rubbers, etc. Considering it might be worth 18-20k done, or 30 if you just want to list it forever!!

Thats just my valuation tho :0 But its no minter!!

Comment

That won’t be too expensive to put right but will obviously put off the "investment buying brigade". The rear end of these are relatively simple to take apart/work on and those wings are under £300 from bmw which are a bolt on panel. You won’t find many under 15k these days as the sum of its parts isn’t far off that price if you break it. I know of at least 2 online that are priced through the roof and claim to be minters which have had a different past than advertised.

Personally i like to buy cars that have been driven, maintained and not sat on a forecourt for over 12 months (Old fluids, rubber perishing, etc etc)

Comment

Never looked at the pictures before, but I've never seen rust like that on the rear arches before and this is after having been resprayed at some point too.

Comment

It does look odd, spraying is all in the prep !!!

If the shell isn't showing signs of corrosion new wings are not really a big issue.

Good project for someone.

Comment

Depends what your definition of 'good project' is. Looks like it hasn't seen much love for a long time. Could take quite a lot of $$ to bring back up to scratch.

Comment

I agree, its not just put some rear arches on and your good to go, you may hope its that simple but there could be quite a few other parts needed to replace. If its been that neglected for that amount of time! Plus it will need respraying and you would want a full, windows out respray. £££ Think it needed a service too! throw a couple of tyres in and it is 5k before you have even driven it!

Comment

I wouldn’t know without looking at it but if the advert is truthful the engine should be ok having been refreshed, it’s had money spent on the suspension so it "could" be ok.

All depends if you're willing to get your hands dirty or you're happy paying $$$ for someone else to do the work.

Mines just had a full windows out respray which included two new sill covers and an arch which cost nowhere near 5k!

As many know these cars really aren’t difficult to work on.

Comment

Perhaps you are looking at pictures of a different car

Comment

Think at the end of the day we are all guessing, my guess may be slightly pessimistic, but looking at the condition of the car, not sure its been that well maintained. Saw a thread on running costs around 7k a year if you use it as your daily, around 2-3k if you dont. Well thats taken a good few years to rot like that and so those other things have been neglected.

I personally think you'd be mad to buy it at 15k

Comment

I viewed this car twice in person and the owner was kind enough to take me out prior to me putting an offer in. He excepted a £15k offer through eBay and had a back up offer for 15 through eBay. So no doubt this has sold now.

Mechanical this car been cherished. BMW service history then looked after by m3 motor company for nearly 10 years (spoke to the mechanic prior to placing an offer). Mechanic is an ex BMW mechanic and probably the best in Scotland. It’s had everything, most recently a replacement clutch and refurbished gearbox. Still has the slight issue with 5th though. Also contacted a friend that works for bmw. Printed out everything regarding the visits/work carried out on this car which matched the history the owner had only recently found

Only issue was the bodywork. It had a full respray but they’ve done something wrong as the rust has come through the most on the panels they’ve prepped the most (owner was kind enough to show me photos of the body shop work). Rust was present In the engine bay as well as the sills. Engine bay was corroded around the base of the strut housing. Crash bar was corroded and needed replacing. Think all in for rectifying all this I was quoted 5-7k. Couldn’t confirm the condition of the boot floor but it seemed solid. Also had a scratch on the passengers seat.

Hope this answers your questions lads. No doubt the car will come up on the forum again. Am still looking for a z3m, and to be honest i am a bit gutted to of missed out on this car, the search continues....

Comment

Originally posted by Big Yin View Post
                          I viewed this car twice in person and the owner was kind enough to take me out prior to me putting an offer in. He excepted a £15k offer through eBay and had a back up offer for 15 through eBay. So no doubt this has sold now.

Mechanical this car been cherished. BMW service history then looked after by m3 motor company for nearly 10 years (spoke to the mechanic prior to placing an offer). Mechanic is an ex BMW mechanic and probably the best in Scotland. It’s had everything, most recently a replacement clutch and refurbished gearbox. Still has the slight issue with 5th though. Also contacted a friend that works for bmw. Printed out everything regarding the visits/work carried out on this car which matched the history the owner had only recently found

Only issue was the bodywork. It had a full respray but they’ve done something wrong as the rust has come through the most on the panels they’ve prepped the most (owner was kind enough to show me photos of the body shop work). Rust was present In the engine bay as well as the sills. Engine bay was corroded around the base of the strut housing. Crash bar was corroded and needed replacing. Think all in for rectifying all this I was quoted 5-7k. Couldn’t confirm the condition of the boot floor but it seemed solid. Also had a scratch on the passengers seat.

Hope this answers your questions lads. No doubt the car will come up on the forum again. Am still looking for a z3m, and to be honest i am a bit gutted to of missed out on this car, the search continues....

Welcome to the forum

Comment

Thanks man👍🏼

Comment

Originally posted by Big Yin View Post
                              ..........to be honest i am a bit gutted to of missed out on this car, the search continues....
                              Or looking at it another way you may have dodged a bullet. Some of these cars are now coming up to 20 years old but there are loads of them in really good condition..... I would hunt out one of those.

IMO bodywork is much more important on a car of this age than mechanicals..... I would rather buy one with good body work and a stuffed engine for example.

Mechanicals are easier to fix permanently and you can always choose to upgrade components while you do it. Bobywork you can spend a lot of time and money to get it to a point where it is still not as good as it was from factory.

If this car has rust on the edges of the bonnet, tailgate, rear arches, sills and also under the bonnet caused by shockingly poor prep by the body shop, the first question I would ask is why did it all need paint anyway? Rear arches and sills, bonnet, OK all common but why strut towers? What else did they paint that has not bubbled up yet?

If it were me I would be looking at this one if it is still available:
                              https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20116

.....do not know it or the owner but looks good in the ad and for an extra 5k over this project looks like a bargain
                              S50 Black, H&R Arbs/ Springs, B8s, Larini Exhaust

Comment

I hadn't looked at the pictures but it was pretty rusty, with bolt on panels these cars are easy to repair but having seen what can hide underneath panels and fuel tanks you need to go into these projects with your eyes open.

Comment

Working...
                                X