No announcement yet.

Reluctant sale of "V3RY M"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Certainly a lot of interest in this! Hopefully will sell soon, to Neil as he knows he wants it really.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
      I haven't been on the forum long, don't own an MC yet, and know Jack all about the cars or forum's personalities... but I've come to the conclusion that I *should* stand a good chance of picking one up for next to nothing... just got to find a Phoenix Yellow car with kiwi interior, ACS splitter, roof wing, suspension and exhaust... nobody else seems to like what I like, lol

Don't get me wrong Pheonix Yellow is a great colour, it's really grown on me and IMO it modernises the car as it's an "E46" colour. The car looks fantastic and as it is from a front 3/4 view (BBS LMs, Front Flippers, ACS Mirrors are nice too), but the rear end needs to be standard (IMO).

Comment

I've known this car and Steve1 for 6 years now and I can vouch that this gorgeous MC (I LOVE Phoenix Yellow) has always been extremely well cared for. I know Steve1 is very disappointed at putting this car up for sale.

Whilst it can be argued that mods don't enhance the value of a car, and the "purists" can also argue that cars shouldn't be modded at all, many of us who've kept our MCs for any reasonable time have discovered that the MC's suspension is potentially dangerous/lethal. As such, if you really want to drive the MC as it should be driven, then you MUST upgrade the MC's suspension, and once you have driven a MC with properly sorted suspension you'll wonder why it wasn't manufactured that way, because it really transforms the handling in a remarkable way. Therefore, I cannot see why anyone would think that Steve1's car with properly sorted suspension (KWV3 and H&R ARBs which are properly set up) isn't worth a premium, on that basis alone. If you want to revert to OEM suspension, then it's easy enough to replace (about 30 bolts in all).

Likewise, from this forum, it seems that BBS LMs are most people's favourite wheels. Steve1's MC has them and they are immacculate. Got to be worth a premium. If you want OEM alloys swap them back (just 20 bolts to undo).

Lots of owners think the MC exhaust system isn't "fruity" enough. Steve1's MC has the Hamman exhaust which sounds perfect. If it isn't worth a premium, it's got to be seen as a "bonus". If you want OEM then change it back (12 bolts in all)

Then we've got the AC Schnitzer front splitters and rear roof wing. These items are genuine and expensive! (mine cost over £600 in 2004). They might not be to everyone's aesthetic taste but if you see an unmodded MC set against a MC with the ACS splitters, the OEM MC looks very plain. OK, if you don't like them, you can remove them once you've bought the car , and sell them and make some money - definitely a bonus. However, if you were to remove them, you'd look at the car and think "Joan Collins without her make-up". The same applies to the Hamann rear diffuser. Likewise, all these aero parts actually WORK! They give the car some downforce and considerably increase the high speed stability of the MC. Therefore, they compliment the suspension mods.

Many owners reckon the MC is weak in the brakes department; Steve1's MC has uprated calipers and CSL discs. If not worth a premium, they're a bonus. If you want OEM easy enough to swap (about 8 bolts)

The actual car itself is low mileage and its condition is absolutely immaculate (big compliment to SteveH for taking this car to such a level). On this basis alone the car has got to be worth a premium. This car has got to be one of the very best examples of the 117 RHD S54 MC sold in the UK and so someone looking for a top quality S54 MC will have to wait a very long time to find a better one.

I forgot to mention that the engine has recently had the bearing shells preventatively replaced - got to be worth peace of mind!
        Last edited by exdos; 18-11-2010, 11:17 AM. Reason: more info
        /// Exdos ///
        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Ive just had a look at the mods list and in turn the cost of them if they were not on the car and it has come to at least £5k, and possibly much more.
          If you take those mods, most of which are needed or certainly on the "want" list for a new owner the car is only priced at just under £18k which for a late S54 with very low miles and immaculate paintwork it would actually be classed as good value imo

Comment

Originally posted by z3mcouperacer View Post
            Ive just had a look at the mods list and in turn the cost of them if they were not on the car and it has come to at least £5k, and possibly much more.
            If you take those mods, most of which are needed or certainly on the "want" list for a new owner the car is only priced at just under £18k which for a late S54 with very low miles and immaculate paintwork it would actually be classed as good value imo
            but the cost of mods are considerably higher iirc wheels and tyres are £3.5 k alone
            [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

Originally posted by ragerover View Post
              but the cost of mods are considerably higher iirc wheels and tyres are £3.5 k alone
              Oh god yeah when buying new, that was just a sceptical view of the used value, which would make the non modded price even less!

I think if you take a step back and look at everything as a package it's a brilliant deal for something that could potentially move up in value.

Let's be honest if this car was for sale with Munich Legends they would be asking close to mid twenties.

Comment

an lhd whit same age,milies and condition it's the price,also many times see some over 30k euros!
                The price is right ,naturally see an s50 highmilage cost 1/3 of it means to much money!
                Probabily more people sell to low the car,because sell an m coupe for under 10k,i keep forever!
                Congrats and compliment for the "V3RY M"
                www.fastdrive.org
                S50 black/black-red In Rome
                Front BBK Stoptech Red+Eibach Sway Bars+Kw Clubsport Whit Camber plates+Weichers Strutbar+Agk Urethane front Silent Block & differential Bushing+Tuner Motorposrt Alluminium Rear Mount+Hamann Exaust

Comment

Really interesting thread and have seen similar on other forums when it comes to selling modded cars. First thing to say is that this car looks great. And no question that the low mileage S54s will be sought after.

I dont know what the absolute value is, but its certainly true if you advertise it for long enough then you have the chance of finding a buyer who puts the same value you do on the mods.

But what I think is undisputed is that, if finance was your main motivation, you would realise more money by reverting the car to stock (at least as far as whats visible - I take the point that the modded suspension might be better) and selling the mods seperately.

Certainly this thread has inspired me to do the suspension on mine.

Good luck with the sale.

Comment

Good luck with the sale Steve, suprised it hasn't gone already...can't be many with all the right bits on them and in this condition out there..
                    -------------------------
                    Ex Ex Ex: 1998 M Coupé, Estoril/Estoril+Black. HK+ MD+CD Changer, roof, side bags, lamp wash.
                    Ex Ex: 1998 M3 Evo Coupé, Estoril / Blk with all the toys.
                    Ex: 2004 Z4 3.0i, Silver / blk with no roof.
                    Now: 2003 M3 CSL, Silver Grey, lots of carbon fibre.

Comment

If you want a nice and sorted MC, you have to pay for it unfortunately.

Good Luck with the sale Steve.

Comment

mmmm interesting thread.

Firstly I love the car in question (even though I'm not a fan of some of the mods, the package as a whole is great). I won't comment on the price as its whatever the sellers wants for it, other than I don't think its totally ridiculous but will obviously limit the potential market as its generally accepted to be at the premium end.

What I do find interesting is the argument for / against mods (obviously not having a "standard" car myself). Personally I think the "premium" Z3m's fall into 2 catagories, those that are "garage queens" (and I mean real garage queens, less than 20k miles and concours condition) and those that are performance/cosmetic modded to the highest standard.

This car falls into the latter catagory plus you can throw in the S54 factor but it also touches the first catagory which is what makes the debate so interesting.

So if you take it to the extreme, how would you value a true garage queen with 0 mileage that was also heavily modified (ie a car that was never driven but with perfect performance /cosemetic mods). Would it be worth more to a "collector" / investor than a totally standard one?

To be honest I think the answer would be no, the "standard" car would be worth more to an "investor" who never intended to drive the car (whatever we think those are the only true "investment" cars).

So that leads me to believe that any modified car cannot factor into its value low mileage to the same extent as a "standard" car but they often fall into that trap. But similarly people with 20k miler plus cars try to put theirs into the "investment" catagory which I also think is optomistic (have they ever seen the type of cars investors are willing to pay a premium for?)

But there is no clear answer, unless you do own a very low mileage garage queen (I know there are Z3m roadsters out there with <5k on the clock for example) there is no clear market price for this type of car.

I do think "mods" tend to be overvalued on resale. Personally I value mods at c50% of original cost (or 0% if its a mod I would not normally have done) but its hard to value a "package"of good mods.

Ultimately the proof is in the pudding ie if the car actually sells at/near that price. I actaully think you would have more chance selling it through someone like Munich Legends and doing a deal with them (ie they take a percentage of the sale), its that good a car.

But then again I'm a true wooly back so what do I know
                        VIDEO or Journal

Comment

link to some pics in steveH's gallery

steve1! you need more pics of this up, good ones please!!!

Click here to email me

Comment

ML

For what it is worth, I agree with Jonttt.

I tried selling my Z4MC privately for a while but got bored of idiots calling and offering silly money (including Ugandan dollars!) and/or asking questions like "does it come with a hard top".

I ended up giving the car to ML who did a commission sale for me. It took a couple of months to shift, but I more than made up for the amount of commission by getting a top price for it, and didn't have to deal with tyre kickers. Steve, let me know (PM?) if you want to explore this avenue as the owner there has told me that he owes me a favour.

Comment

Originally posted by indy View Post
                              link to some pics in steveH's gallery

steve1! you need more pics of this up, good ones please!!!
                              Personally I think that steveH has taken some good pics. so they are probably the ones to look at, I'm no David Bailey, ( who ).
                              2002 phoenix yellow. "V3RY M" lives on, but on another beast.

Comment

there is some good pictures of the car in the BMW car club gallery, also like this one,

Comment

Working...
                                X