oil pipes /engine mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pipes /engine mounts

after having a great drive around some quiet roads in northumberland disaster struck.admittedly i was enjoying the empty roads and pushing her a bit to far and some heavy breaking which i think could be the cause of the problem.after hearing a squeeking noise i pulled over to inspect to find oil covering my engine bay,the cause ,oil pipe bottom left was rubbing on pulley wheel and had worn through.the only cause for this as far as i can see is that the engine has moved forward which leads me to think engine mount has broke.two hours later the tow truck dropped me and my oil covered car off at home.i am going to get under neath today and take a look and will post back the results.any help or thoughts on this please and does anyone have any oil pipes for sale..cheers

Can’t offer any advice on the problem just hope you get sorted without too much hassle and that there isn’t anything too difficult to put right. I’m sure you’ll keep us updated.
    Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
    2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
    1986 M635
    1985 E28 M5
    1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

cheers pete ,did not get a chance today but will be on to it monday.

Comment

Strange one, is it the pipe to the oil cooler that had gone?

Comment

yes i think its the oil cooler ones bottom left and the radiator clip has come off and doesnt look right,its as if the engine has dropped or moved forward.i am going to take a look tonight and will post back.

Comment

The PAS pulley runs quite close in the bottom corner.

Does sound like the mount, so worth changing both sides as they will have sank at this age if not started to split. Passenger side isn't too bad to fit, the driver's side I found to be a real pain however.

Comment

I changed the mounts on mine a while ago and as Chris says the drivers side is difficult but I lowered the subframe bolts by about 10mm and this gave just enough extra space

to get the mount in and out. Not sure if this is an approved way of doing it but other than having the engine on a lift or support it works!.

Comment

removed hose tonight to find that the radiator and oil cooler had came loose and was rubbing on power steering pulley so not as bad as i thought.the rad was last removed a few years ago when i had a new water pump fitted and makes me wonder if it was re fitted correctly.it looks like it sits in a slot either side and has two clips at the top which doesnt seem enough.also does anyone know number for cooling pipse and are they the same as e46 m3 17222282270 as there is a few on flea bay ,cheers

Comment

The radiator has two rubber bushes it sits on. These need to be re-used from the old radiator. If these haven't been fitted the rad will be loose. Easy fix so hopefully it's this.

Comment

thank you all for the help ,hopefully back on the road for the weekend.

Comment

The rubber buffers are part no. 17111178412 if the rad feels loose it is probably these, you can fit without removing pipes / draining the system.

Comment

Originally posted by jess robson View Post
                        removed hose tonight to find that the radiator and oil cooler had came loose and was rubbing on power steering pulley so not as bad as i thought.the rad was last removed a few years ago when i had a new water pump fitted and makes me wonder if it was re fitted correctly.it looks like it sits in a slot either side and has two clips at the top which doesnt seem enough.also does anyone know number for cooling pipse and are they the same as e46 m3 17222282270 as there is a few on flea bay ,cheers
                        I don't think the oil cooler pipes on the E46 M3 are the same part number so will be different.

https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/search...ECE/17/17_0103

here's a picture of the mounting parts on a S50 radiator,

there a two pins on the bottom of the rad which fit into the round rubber mounts and these sit in cups on the two bottom plastic rad mounts

Comment

cheers for that ,it looks like these rubber buffers were not re used,on order now as well as oil pipes.

Comment

Working...
                          X