This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mines bigger than yours!!

Always interesting to see the results of others--BUT!! its what YOU are happy with in the real world.Maahny knows that the truth is How to compare like for like on THE day!!

I have read outs from fly 313 -- 336, I dont feel the difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Sorry--I DO know how quick it gets off the line when its serious Biz!!!So whats the problem--?Its the road performance that says it all eh!!!
    safetyfast

Comment

Originally posted by maahny View Post
      John as I said at the time it is not a fair comparison as the car was tested under different conditions. Only a back to back test can be conclusive. I have seen the same s54 car produce 20 BHP (flywheel) less on 2 different days.

When Andy's car came to ours on the Z dyno day it was almost 20 BHP more powerful than every other S54 tested that day.

BTW I think it looks awesome too.
      Imran,

I thought Shunt was being deliberately provocative with his tongue in his cheek, so I wanted to reply with a short retort, as per my posting above.

I test drove a Z4 MC back in August 2006 and subsequently posted a report on the forum which seems to have evapourated during one of the forum "revamps". I do like the Z4 MC and think they look particularly nice in white, but I don't actually like them more than my Z3 MC, as Shunt suggests we should all do. I already have a S54 engine in my MC and whilst the Z4 MC in OEM state handles better than my MC in OEM state, mine which a few "choice tweaks" actually handles better than the Z4 MC I drove. Therefore, why should I consider a Z4 MC as being more desirable than my Z3 MC unless I prefer the look of the Z4 MC? (which I don't).

I am fully aware of the limitations of dyno results and only used the comparison graph between mine and UR 02 SLO to make a short retort. As it is, you may have dynoed my MC when she was having an "off" day

I've just bought myself a DashDynoSPD as found here: http://www.auterraweb.com/dashdynoseries.html With this device I can actually record power, acceleration etc. under "real world" driving conditions where wind resistance, road friction etc, are taken into account. Provided that altitude, air pressure and temperature conditions and car parameters (front area, weight etc.) are properly set before each run, then the figures produced by the device give "standardised" results, which allows actual direct comparisons to be made, since the results are corrected for all variable factors.
      /// Exdos ///
      "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Pi$$ing contest!

Comment

I think its no real surprise that there is not much difference between acceleration/ power between the 2 cars as they have the same engine in. This would amount to no difference in real world driving.

I believe in the real world the z4M would be quicker in standard form due to superior road holding etc but not much and only in situations where it is safe to exploit the z4m to the absolute limit which isnt very often on public roads.

There is always resistance to the newer model by owners of the older one. I experienced this when I owned a focus RS and the Esc Cos owners had same arguments eg similar power etc but 'more character' etc. Fact was the Focus was faster on the road and a better car in general due to being more modern etc. I think as an ownership proposition the same broadly applies here.
          Ex 2001 S54
          New cars:
          Lotus Carlton
          350Z

Comment

Andys car is exceptional.

Its no Z3M Coupe but IMO is as exclusive and I cant say I would sell my Z3M in a second for it, but I would be tempted!

Comment

They are both fantastic cars. In a moment of madness I sold my S50 Z3 Mcoupe 18 months ago and regretted it ever since. I was going to pick up another Z3 MCand was thinking of a low mileage S54, but considering a good low mileage S54 could set you back 21 to 24K and you can buy a 6-12 month old Z4 Mcoupe with as little as 2 or 3K on the clock for 27 to 31K its a no brainer to go for the modern Z4MC:-

- 2 years BMW warranty
              - 6 gears so better MPG on a run
              - No bearing or VANOS worris
              - IMO looks better
              - Satnav - sad I know
              - Is probably as rare/exclusive as a Z3 Mcoupe

There really are some really good deals for pre registered cars at the moment. You really can get 10-15K off list!!!! I know where my money is going.

Comment

Originally posted by physco1234 View Post
                They are both fantastic cars. In a moment of madness I sold my S50 Z3 Mcoupe 18 months ago and regretted it ever since. I was going to pick up another Z3 MCand was thinking of a low mileage S54, but considering a good low mileage S54 could set you back 21 to 24K and you can buy a 6-12 month old Z4 Mcoupe with as little as 2 or 3K on the clock for 27 to 31K its a no brainer to go for the modern Z4MC:-

- 2 years BMW warranty
                - 6 gears so better MPG on a run
                - No bearing or VANOS worris
                - IMO looks better
                - Satnav - sad I know
                - Is probably as rare/exclusive as a Z3 Mcoupe

There really are some really good deals for pre registered cars at the moment. You really can get 10-15K off list!!!! I know where my money is going.
                I agree with what points you have made here but the heart still says low mileage S54 Z3 MC.
                Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
                New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

iI love these sort of posts regarding mods and different models of the same car ! i have only driven a z4 roadster (not coupe) and whilst i loved the newness etc..i found it smaller in the cockpit,some controls wer definatly wrongly placed ! and generaly was not impressed..i love my z3m coupe yup its an old design,of course it dosnt have the latest techi bits (mine is an s50 with bugger all driver aids ) but you know what i love it !! it makes me laugh when watching top gear etc....when they are measuring cars by speed and the difference is only seconds..lets get real ...you really wouldnt know the difference !!! as with lots of modern cars increase in bhp etc also increase in weight etc...as you guys know that track your cars,make it lighter !! make it handle better ! now thats a dfferent story !! same model car,same year etc..dosnt mean same performance and that includes reliability..there is just too many variables!!weve all hurd of the Friday car..!!!for me the quirkiness,looks,etc makes the z3 stand head and shoulders above the z4....lets face it sometimes they do look ugly fuckers !!.then look again..and lovely !!!!

Comment

I can't believe that this debate is still going on. They are both excellent, individual cars that show a lot about the owner as someone who strives to be different and individual. Having owned both there's now doubt that there's virtues to each, the z3mc certainately looks more agressive and has some fairly poor standard suspension as far as M cars go, the z4mc is quicker in standard form and even quicker when subtle mods are done well. I think both will go down as very unusal and special and go on to become classics in their own right.

Actually, what am I saying, although the z3mc looks cool it's utterly USELESS when compared to the magnificent z4mc.

Let the games commence....
                    Ex-z3mc Estoril
                    Ex-Z4MC - carbon black
                    Now - z3mc silver, minted

Comment

Originally posted by outrun View Post
                      I can't believe that this debate is still going on. ...
                      It's not. You just bumped an old thread.
                      Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
                      In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

Originally posted by outrun View Post

Actually, what am I saying, although the z3mc looks cool it's utterly USELESS when compared to the magnificent z4mc.

Let the games commence....
                        unless the Z3MC has had its suspension sorted out, then it will be quicker round a track!

Comment

This thread was initially about Z4 MC as per post #1. I guess that discussion has long since finished.
                          Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
                          In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

Working...
                          X