Dakar mc restoration from turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

epic cleanup ;)

the previous owner of mine.. had a white-haired dog in the boot occasionaly :/

I'm still trying to get rid of the little blighters.

Comment

Today, I fist went to see the progress of the wheels which are getting painted in chrome shadow.

Chrome shadow is a two step process. First the wheels are painted black and baked. Then as a second coat they are painted in translucent silver paint. This way you can see the black paint underneath while still seing the silver on top. The results should be very nice hopefully.

Today they were painted in the first coat gloss black.

I asked my painter to paint the outer width for clean, restored look.

Then I went back to the shop to look at the prorgress. They were checking suspension mounts for infamous cracks but luckily there were none. Since they were out, we replaced the mount rubbers.

Since the entire boot trims were removed, we discovered new dog hair from PO. :mad:

then I thought it was time for a little more DIY.
      the Harman Kardon Subwoofer cover was disclored and it really bothered me.

first I removed in from the interior trim,

then seperated into pieces.

After horribly masking the HK logo, I gave it a few coats of spray paint. Much better.

Lastly I took my rear parcel cover to my upholstery guy to repair the torn edges,

a little later,

and that's it for today, more to come...
      Can,

'87 M3
      '95 M3 GT
      '00 M Coupé
      '04 M3 CSL

Comment

no love for my thread but anyhow :)

Today, I went to see the wheels with their final coat and I must say the color and light effects were MAGNIFICENT, very happy about it !

Then I took them to my tire place to be mounted.

Since everything was new, I bought new OEM wheel nuts,

Old ones,

New set,

Then I replaced the RC type antenna with shorty,

Tall one,

New shorty,

The argon-are welding burned some of the boot isolations as expected, which will be replaced tomorrow.

In the meantime, we cleaned all baggage trim and wrapped to be mounted once we are done with our work.

Last but not least, I cleaned the HK logo on the speaker cover which had a nasty mark.

before,

after a bit of polishing,

Tomorrow, we'll have the tires wheels fitted and some other minor works.
        Can,

'87 M3
        '95 M3 GT
        '00 M Coupé
        '04 M3 CSL

Comment

wheels look great.

Comment

And the HK speaker grill looks brilliant. I did a quick makeover over on mine but that looks perfect.
            Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

Im just going to check my sub cover, never noticed if mine is bad or not!

Wheels looks great too!
              2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by coupe fan View Post
                And the HK speaker grill looks brilliant. I did a quick makeover over on mine but that looks perfect.
                Thanks, I got lucky with the spray paint part :)
                Originally posted by dave p View Post
                wheels look great.
                Thanks Dave. They were huge work and wait but well worth it.
                Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                Im just going to check my sub cover, never noticed if mine is bad or not!

Wheels looks great too!
                Thanks, subtle but necessary fix to clean up the boot area.
                Can,

'87 M3
                '95 M3 GT
                '00 M Coupé
                '04 M3 CSL

Comment

getting on with this FAST!
                  great updates, i am still reading

Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by indy View Post
                    getting on with this FAST!
                    great updates, i am still reading
                    Thanks, good planning and good team makes up for a quick resto :)

So for today,

We had the rear sound deadening piece repaired.
                    The welding damage,

First the new patch was cut to burned area's mold.

Then melted and stuck to the burned area.

Then my painter throw a bit of dakar on it and a few hours later, it was like new,

He then prepared the side grill for repaint.

Since the car was on the road again, I took her to the wrap shop to have the chrome door handles wrapped in black for the plastic look.

and then mounted the handle frames which were wrapped a few days ago. Bye bye chrome.

Last but certainly not least, I took the car to the wheel shop for the big moment. Mounting the new chrome shadow OEM wheels.

There they were waiting for me.. :bow:

I bought a set of new center logos to go with the new wheel nuts and M logos,

+

The guys at the wheel shop were top notch, they even masked the areas of the wheel where it holds the balancing equipment.

and finally with its wheels on back at the shop.
                    Once it got there, I put on the super expensive M logos for the wheels.

and that was it for today...
                    Last edited by CLUBBER; 10-04-2011, 12:49 AM.
                    Can,

'87 M3
                    '95 M3 GT
                    '00 M Coupé
                    '04 M3 CSL

Comment

Please share your opinions guys and gals...

It has been a busy weekend and we have finally wrapped up our " Chiquita" !.

My paint shop finished the M side grills. His work was flawless as ever. Then I polished the chrome bits and put on the new side M logos to replace the faded ones.

then put them on,

Then we replaced the rear M emblem. There was nothing wrong with the old one but it wasn't period correct. S50 engine must have the flat surface emblem. Mine was curved.. all fized now,

before I sent the car to full detail, we had a quick go at some last minute engine cleaning.

Windshield wiper water tank,

even the cap was cleaned over and over,

We put back all baggage trims back on,

Lastly I took the car to a dent removel place to pull back some of the dents that were bothering me

Getting the equipments ready.

Locating the dents,

Pulling gently,

and a bit of kickin' around,

after all these, our work was generally completed on the car so I took it to my local Meguiar's Application Center.
                      Tomorrow, I will pick her up after a 40hr detail. stay tuned for the final results. :) It is the big day :)
                      Can,

'87 M3
                      '95 M3 GT
                      '00 M Coupé
                      '04 M3 CSL

Comment

You're certainly giving it a good go over, you will have to be very careful where you park it soon!
                        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Looking forward to the detail pics!

Your doing a great job buddy! Soon you will be

Joe
                          2002 BMW M Coupe (S54) in Sapphire Black with Imola Red Interior @ OEM+ Spec **Now with Wheels** **SOLD**

Need a holiday? Click here!

Comment

She is done !!!

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                            You're certainly giving it a good go over, you will have to be very careful where you park it soon!
                            thanks, I will :)
                            Originally posted by jrsmooth View Post
                            Looking forward to the detail pics!

Your doing a great job buddy! Soon you will be

Joe
                            Thanks Joe.

Finally, we reached the end of our little Z3M Restoration. (For now)

The car was detailed for about 3 days and roughly 40hrs. First they did the engine by pressured water for chassis dirt and grime and then applied matt finisher for clean look.

All plastics were cleaned,

Exhaust tips, cleaned and polished, AGAIN !!

Interior was cleaned off its previous shiny chemicals for the much needed matt look, including the boot cover and seats.

Finished interior,

Can,

'87 M3
                            '95 M3 GT
                            '00 M Coupé
                            '04 M3 CSL

Comment

Finally they finished the exterior after coats and coats of waxing and polishing.

So here she is in her finished state.... May I present you " Chiquita" ? Ta-Ta !!! :) :)

Tomorrow, I will have a pro photoshoot to cover both my M cars and hopefully add them soon. Until then, I hope these will suffice.

I hope you guys enjoyed watching this process as much as I did performing it.
                              Thanks for all the feedback and interest.
                              Can,

'87 M3
                              '95 M3 GT
                              '00 M Coupé
                              '04 M3 CSL

Comment

Car looks really good, certainly well worth all the hard work!

Now get out and enjoy driving it!
                                Last edited by Spooks; 13-04-2011, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X