Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > Z3MCoupé.com Forums > M Coupe Journals
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21-03-2014, 10:51 PM

Default inkey$ Imola S50

Hi all,

After selling my Z4M roadster, I decided to make a leftfield choice and take a fresh look at my car ownership bucket list for options as a replacement.

I'd had three Z4s in a row (3.0, MC and MR) so it was time to break with tradition and began my search. I found my prospective car after putting out a request on this forum; a 70k mile, 1998 Imola S50 Z3 M Coupe with black/Imola interior, looked after and cherished by forum member Gazman. Test drove it last Sunday and picked her up today!

She's of course a totally different beast to the Z4M, feeling heavier and definitely very involving to drive. The car oozes character and I drove the 110 miles home with a huge grin on my face! And being an S50 also has that element of extreme danger to her - like you're going to spin at any moment if you accidentally stab the accelerator or don't treat her correctly.

I like it. A lot!

Has the GAN reg letters too so was a model launch press car and Gazman included a huge lever arch file jam packed with articles and shots of it in Monaco, SPA etc.

Bodywork is amazing for a car thats coming up to 16 years old and I checked all the usual advertised areas for issues (rear diff hangers, boot floor welds etc) and all looks good. It comes with a pretty good service history - all the stamps at the correct 7k intervals with Inspection 2 due in 3k miles time.

Few other little bits and pieces I want to get sorted too such as new throttle cable, refurb mirror base, passenger actuator a bit flaky, outside temp sensor unit and there's a small oil leak which I suspect is CDV related. But she'll be up on a car lift this weekend for full checkup. Wheels are immaculate (thanks Gary!) and all recently refurbished as have the front brake callipers.

I may do a few subtle mods too. Storm weighted knob, 10/15mm spacers, H&R anti roll bar etc but nothing extreme. Want some roof bars too so if anybody has any to sell please PM me.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of my new pride and joy after a very entertaining, sunny drive back from Oxford today and I look forward to learning much from this forum

Last edited by inkey$; 21-03-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 22-03-2014, 06:58 AM

Looks very nice. Must be good to have press shots etc. Oh and if course it's in the best colour combo!
Old 22-03-2014, 08:07 AM
Administrator

nice one
Old 24-03-2014, 07:45 AM

Thanks gents.

Had my first weekend living with the MC and day two of ownership saw me take a trip home to see family and friends in Suffolk. What an experience and I realised I need to get used to people slowing down to look at the car!

Fantastic drive on the B and C roads. Have added H&R coilovers to my mod list though - just to increase confidence a little. Still need to investigate the oil leak and get fettling but for now I'm just going to enjoy!

Old 24-03-2014, 07:06 PM

Great shots, car is looking very well!
Old 14-04-2014, 07:19 AM

Update on my MC. Booking her into ETA Motorsport soon for Inspection 2. Still have a few green lights showing but figured it was best practice as a new owner to provide a little personal TLC. Apparently the S50 shims are a tenner a piece compared to the lower price S54's, so if anybody is thinking of setting up a parts business, that might be a good one to get into!

While booked in am also getting ETA to fit a replacement passenger door actuator, new throttle cable and my newly acquired H&R ARB's. While she's up on the ramps I'm also going to get them to investigate the tiny oil leak I have plus of course, properly check and photograph the state of the rear diff hangers and boot floor.

Lastly I ordered some replacement boot sound deadening foam from the very friendly guys at Sopers in Lincolnshire. The current section is disintegrating due to it's age so once all the work is complete I'll also install that.

Last edited by inkey$; 14-04-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 14-04-2014, 01:27 PM

the small oil leak is often the engine pressure valve situated on the drivers side near the back of the engine,,,the seal just goes hard....(maybe not) but not expensive to get replaced..HR ARB's will transform your car!
Old 14-04-2014, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkey$ View Post
Thanks gents.

Had my first weekend living with the MC and day two of ownership saw me take a trip home to see family and friends in Suffolk. What an experience and I realised I need to get used to people slowing down to look at the car!

Fantastic drive on the B and C roads. Have added H&R coilovers to my mod list though - just to increase confidence a little. Still need to investigate the oil leak and get fettling but for now I'm just going to enjoy!

calendar worthy pictures
Old 14-04-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoffa View Post
the small oil leak is often the engine pressure valve situated on the drivers side near the back of the engine,,,the seal just goes hard....(maybe not) but not expensive to get replaced..HR ARB's will transform your car!
Thats what I've heard. ETA are going to check it out for me and I've suggested this as being the first place to look so fingers crossed.

Heard the ARBs are like night and day so looking forward to feeling the results

Old 14-04-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
calendar worthy pictures
Cheers Dave. Only iPhone shots but took some on the same day with my X100 and not downloaded yet so hoping I have even better ones! I adore the aesthetics of this car. It must be nigh on impossible to get a bad shot of it!

Tags
press car